Jack-o-lanterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack-o-lanterns

Before some obvious, previously made post pops up I did do a search on this and even did a preliminary search on the web before posting here.

I've decided to assign Company Aytch to my classes this year.
    On page 36, Sam Watkins refers to "jack-o-lanterns" while they are in Corinth. The students have asked and I honestly don't know what to say he is refering to. With 22 years doing living history and such I'm able to explain just about everything else. In my eariler reading I shrugged it off but now inquiring young minds want to know.

Thanks for your help.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Ya know, like Halloween. Carved out pumpkins with candles inside, derived from a variety of folk tales, superstitions, and such. The passage for those who don't have a copy at hand:

This is where I first saw a jack o'lantern (ignis fatui). That night, while Tom and I were on our posts, we saw a number of very dim lights, which seemed to be in motion. At first we took them to be Yankees moving about with lights. Whenever we could get a shot we would blaze away. At last one got up very close, and passed right between Tom and I. I don't think I was ever more scared in my life. My hair stood on end like the quills of the fretful porcupine; I could not imagine what on earth it was. I took it to be some hellish machination of a Yankee trick. I did not know whether to run or stand, until I heard Tom laugh and say, "Well, well, that's a jack o'lantern."
    At first I wondered if there might be some sort of second meaning that I wasn't picking up on, but according to a quick googling, "ignis fatui," is derived from Latin and roughly translates as "foolish lights." He's definitely talking about some spooky nighttime lights. Sounds like old Sammy boy was the victim of some midnight pranksters, be they tricky Yanks or wayward spirits, however you wish to interpret. For some further reading (though, I caution, not citing) the wiki articles on Will-o-the-wisp and Jack O'lantern for your perusal
    Last edited by Pat.Lewis; 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM. Reason: links
    [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
    [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
    [/FONT]

Comment

Re: Jack-o-lanterns

I found this passage in The History of the Third Pennsylvania Cavalry, page 90:

The fatigue of the previous week had been excessive; he had traveled the road but once, fighting and falling back with the rest of the forces, which must have
      left him little leisure to note the landmarks; and, moreover, the aspect
      of things had entirely changed within a few hours. It was after nightfall,
      the road was blocked with troops, artillery, and wagons; the nearer
      camp fires blinded the messenger with their glare, the distant ones
      flickered like ignis fatui, bewildering him by their number.
      Although the passage describes campfires and not actual ignis fatui , the wiki sources Patrick provided discusses that the will-o-the-wisp and the jack-o-lantern are basically synonymous.

CY
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
      [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Re: Jack-o-lanterns

In the swampy areas around Corinth I would definately buy them getting spooked by Will-O-Wisps, or as my Grandma called em, Corpse Lights. I have seen a few of them before and they can be creepy.

Lee
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X