Colombians in the civil war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colombians in the civil war

My girlfriend and i have been having a debate for some while. I keep trying to get her to come out to an event and do civilian with me. She keeps saying no, because she is Colombian. She is fairly tan and don't tell her that she could pass for a Native American. She claims that the only reason that she does not try it is because she "would have been a slave back then." So my question is... would this be true? Were there any Colombians or Latins in the civil war? I can't really find much on the subject, but I'm just wondering about this question as well. Do you have any feed back on the race issue?
    Evan Ellis
    Independent Rifles
    Cold Steel Mess

Re: Colombians in the civil war

"...would have been a slave back then"

I'm going to say no...Since Colombians and Cubans are both of Hispanic origin and from an 1860's point of view no different, I give you this.

Loretta Janet Velasquez - Cuban born woman, enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1860, masqueraded as a man...got caught, discharged and then did it again! She wasn’t a slave.

Federico Fernandez Cavada - Cuban born man. Fought for the Union. Fought in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg and Gettysburg. Got caught and was sent to Libby Prison in Richmond, Virginia. ..He wasn’t a slave.

These are but two small examples. Much more can be found about Hispanic involvement in the American civil war.

Comment

Evan, I had an article on this subject that I actually used when I was at Austin Peay for some history paper. Will see if I can find it. I had written a paper on the involvement of several ethnic backgrounds in the War. It was about 6 years ago, so most likely long gone, but will still look my friend. Hope all is well, and tell Monica I said hey.

Justin
      [B]Justin Morris[/B]
      [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
      "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

tho not Columbian per sae there were Mexicans in the Confederate service from Texas Santo Benevides comes to mind

Then theres also Refugio Benevides

so ..there were indeed 'hispanics' in the Confederate army at least!

as far as being 'slaves' I dont think Ive ever heard of hispanics being held as slaves in America...course after Pizaro and Cortez theres probably a few Incas and Aztecs that would have liked to enslave a few:D
        Gary Mitchell
        2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
        Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

Working...
        X