Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Homemade How To Thread

Hello,
    There may be a thread dedicated to this, though I tried to use the search feature, but did not see anything exactly like this. I hope I will be forgiven if I missed a thread that says exactly the same thing. Also, I'm a mainstream reenactor bordering on progressive who is interested in becoming more authentic, but I'm not made of money.

I came up with the idea for this thread while I was looking for directions on how to construct a cartridge box, though this is probably a project a bit advanced for me. I do know that there are various how to threads, especially when it comes to uniforms, but I was thinking that it might be a good idea to create a thread of general how to topics on one central location. Everything from where to get proper materials and directions on how to construct items ranging from pokes to uniforms, cartridge boxes to knapsacks.

Additionally, whoever posts directions for projects might consider how hard it would be for others to duplicate it. Therefore, they may use their description to rate each project as novice, easy, moderate, difficult, and expert.
    Ryan McKenzie

Re: Central Homemade How To Thread

Welcome to the forum, Mr McKenzie.

I can appreciate the thought behind the idea. Some thoughts of my own come to mind:

Accurately reproducing any one item can become the work of a lifetime. Attempting to distill it into a single discussion, even a single research article, can be quite impossible. It's one thing to make a little muslin bag--another to research methods of storage mid-century, appropriate textiles, appropriate stitching technique options, make decisions on for whom/what/when/where the bag will be appropriate, etc. Expand to more complex items, and it gets expontially more complex. Deciding how difficult something may be for another person is also fairly subjective. I consider draping a bodice to be among the easier tasks in clothing construction; someone who has never considered making their own clothing may find it a daunting one.

To contain all that information in a single thread would be incomprehensible. It's pretty overwhelming as individual topics, even with a good search function.

If there are items you're interested in learning about, start here with the search function on that particular topic. After reading past discussions, consider starting a thread to discuss aspects you're still curious about, or to share your own research into the topic. Every good discussion adds to the knowledge and understanding.

In that sense, the AC forum itself *is* that master thread--there are several thousand sub-strands contained in forum.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but I am somewhat surprised by how difficult it seems to be to find good information on how to construct period items. That includes both this site and the internet in general. There is, of course, good stuff on this site, but the information is so spread out over so many threads that it's difficult to put it all together.

I was hoping that somehow that the members could somehow at least cover ideas on the construction of many of the basic items. After my initial post I considered the idea that it could get pretty bogged down on this thread, and perhaps a better solution would be to create a how to sub forum where items could be discussed individually. I don't want to sound to presumptuous, however. I'm only expressing a thought that crossed my mind.
      Ryan McKenzie

Comment

There's perhaps little information on-line, but many people making repro items for themselves and others don't rely on the internet for their research. There's really no replacement for excellent books and personal, hands-on research if you want to know how mid-century items go together.

Yes, searching discussion threads on a website is time-consuming. So is visiting museum and private collections, measuring original items in every particular, investigating textiles and materials, researching original specifications, and learning the handwork skills needed to make a majority of material culture items from the past. :)

For some of the things you may be looking to create, there are short-cuts. Shirts, for example: kits and patterns are available, and combing through the search results for a phrase like "patterns for a man's shirt" or "making a shirt" will yeild suggestions and sources. You'll be able to find out (or ask) what sort of instructions the pattern might include, whether you need to have a prior knowledge of different sewing stitches, or how the sizing runs. It's going to take some effort to pull it all together, but I guarantee it will be a faster process for the current effort than it was for those making the previous research effort to pull it all together and post the information here!

For some items, such as a frock coat, you're going to find that the time required to learn and make a really good repro may be far more than you're willing to put in... learning mid-century tailoring is a HUGE undertaking, and may not be feasible if you're wanting a one-off garment; searching the forum threads will yeild names for quality makers, and you can then focus your budget goals and start saving.

You may also find some great used-gear deals on the sales board.

One tip for putting it all together: Start bookmark files by category (item name, or technique) for on-line research, and start a physical notebook with tabbed categories for print-outs of original item information and pictures, your own book and article notes (with sources), and other research material. Actually, buy about six notebooks. Once you fill the first one, it seems like the first half-dozen fill themselves. As it stands now, I have a 4" binder stuffed full of my sketches and notes of originals from the last 14 years... that's not counting the digital images, physical images, notes one other people's collections, or specific notes on various types of garments. I know researchers who have collected filing cabinet banks of information and are constantly looking to add more research space. Researching gets to be its own sort of hobby. :)
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I started to reply to this last night and scrapped the whole post.

Specifically with regard to the cartridge box - the main thing I wanted to get across, and Elizabeth has addressed it, is that there is a lot of research that goes into creating a correct period cartridge box. Originals must be examined, some knowledge of pattern-making a prerequisite, a correct pattern must be made, correct materials purchased and refined, correct construction techniques employed.

I was talking to Kiev at Gettysburg and he described the process of making kepis - and scrapping dozens before he finally got to where he could make one that he was pleased with, and one that satisfied his authenticity concerns. Bottom-line, you're going to spend a whole lot more than $200 in assembling that first correct cartridge box because there's going to be travel expenses, raw materials, lots of labor and lots of misfires along the way.

As far as a How To thread, you're basically asking someone to hand all of that research over to you - and they aren't going to be quick to do it. Oh you'll find some folks willing to post a How To on creating a period shirt, a poke bag, etc... but I really doubt Welch or Duvall is going to provide you with "How To" on a cartridge box.

What you WILL find here is a lot of information on how to recognize a correctly assembled cartridge box. One excellent resource for that is the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium. John Tobey rendered some excellent drawings with measurements of cartridge boxes. You'll also find a lot of information in various Company of Military Historian issues down through the years.

This isn't to discourage you - I just want you to understand what goes into recreating one of these reproductions.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Some good replies here!

Here's my bottom line:
            - The item you make because you want something "cheap" will be a wreck.
            - The item you make because either (1) existing reproductions are missing details you feel are important or (2) you want to learn more about how the item was produced will probably exceed the quality of most reproductions... and will probably take two to four times longer to get a finished product than simply ordering from a vendor.

The ability to make clothing that is both inexpensive (the maker paying only the cost of materials) and of high quality takes a bit of practice, but can be done (I think) by many.

IMHO, I'm not sure the same can be said for other gear. I know my limits and haven't attempted leather goods, for example. I don't have the equipment or knowledge, and the cost of raw materials makes expensive lessons of my mistakes.

I learn best by doing, however. And that would be my recommendation (and has been for years) to folks who want to make their own stuff. View examples of original items, as many as you can get your hands on. Look at pics or originals, as many as you can. Talk to folks who's repros you admire. Then, take a crack at it. You'll learn more and faster than could ever be read on-line.
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I agree with the above posts! I also want to encourage you to try making your own gear. I usually choose one project per off season. For instance, I started with a haversack, then shelter half, then ground cloth, and I plan to progress until I make my own SA trousers (probalby from a kit). Kit's are great because it gives you a guide. Later, you may wish to make your own all together by just purchasing the correct fabric. All of this requires research. It is easy for me because I have access to a museum and national park within a 5 minute drive. You can save some money...you can also lose some. What you will find is that for the time and efforts you put in...it was probably more effecient to buy from an approved vender. However, I choose to make some of my items because it makes me feel "closer" to the item and I appreciate it more when I get to use it. Start simple and work your way up. Look at originals any chance you get...talk to well known venders who create the items when you hit hard spots....but the main thing, is just keep your eyes on the prize! Good luck!
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

My input has marginal relevance to your initial inquiry, but it may offer an alternative that might be of interest to you, and I do hope it will be of some encouragement.

I cannot make things with my hands. I am completely inept in the mechanical and craftsmanship realms of skill. I can barely make a pair of cutoff jeans from an old pair of Levis.

However, I have two eyes, I can read, and I can think. So, in order to have more involvement in developing my impression, I research garments I am interested in as much as I am able. This includes reading articles on said garments, reading diaries that describe the garments, and of course, looking at images.

When a garment strikes my interest enough to want to purchase one, I start a discussion with a vendor with the understanding that I am serious about paying them to make it. I share with them my research and ensure that they have examined the original if an original of the item is known to exist. I share my observations about the features and find out if the vendor thinks my observations are accurate.

For example, there is a type of jacket I am interested in, and my research leads me to observe two features that don't seem to be represented within reproductions I have yet seen. In this case, the collar is high and square cut and the buttons are close to the margin so that the buttons' edges appear flush with the margin. I will share this with the vendor and get his educated opinion. Based upon our collective findings, I may ask for these features to be included, thereby facilitating a reproduction that may be more accurate or at least less common than that which is currently offered by others.

I really do find this rewarding and perhaps this concept may help you escape the monotony or having to simply order off the menu.

Jonathan Vaughan
                Jonathan Vaughan
                14th Tennessee
                3rd Missouri

Comment

Working...
                X