The Gettysburg Diaries-Mark Nesbitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gettysburg Diaries-Mark Nesbitt

I just picked up and read "The Gettysburg Diaries" by Mark Nesbitt, and really enjoyed it. He follows two personal accounts, via their diaries, of the thirty five days leading up to Gettysburg. One from a Federal trooper named Franklin Horner from Pennsylvania and from a Confederate trooper named Thomas Ware from Georgia.

It was a very interesting read, and a good personal look at the events from the eyes of regular troops, instead of the generals. Its interesting to note what they chose to record each day, and how they related events that came to them "through the grapevine". Such as Grant's progress at Vicksburg and how the troops out East would hear, and think of it. How the troops reacted to Lee's orders to not forage so "vigorously" in Union territory, after witnessing the devastation Union troops inflicted on some Southern states with their foraging. The author gives small commentaries to help put the diary entries and soldiers thoughts and observations into context. maps follow their movements, and make it easy to track their progress.

I enjoyed it. I recommend it. :)
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln
Working...
X