Hey guys, watch this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, watch this??

Well, generally when you hear the title above, you've got cause to worry. At any rate, my husband and I are having a debate on how to chill a bottle of wine in period style. He says that a common way to chill a bottle was to wrap the bottle with cloth, pour lamp oil (Or any volatile liquid) over the cloth, and then set it alight thus having the bottle condense and chill the wine. The trick is to pull the cloth off at the right moment to prevent the bottle from boiling or bursting. OK, how many of you hardcores out there have done this? Before I try it next month at an event, I want to hear other's comments before I blast wine all around my summer kitchen. Your comments, please.

The reference for this comes from Littels Living Age, 1850s, can't recall exactly which date/volume at this moment, but the article was about refrigeration.

I wasn't sure which folder to put this question into, but you can bet your last dollar that we certainly will give this method a try, as our garage has had more than one explosion with period chemicals and powder. It also helps to be married to a HazMat Fireman.:sarcastic On the other hand, maybe it doesn't help.:confused_ Perhaps I should end this post with the comment, Kids, don't try this yourself at home. And yes, it's true that some folks just don't know where to draw the line when it comes to period living.:sarcastic
    Mfr,
    Judith Peebles.
    No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
    [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Re: Hey guys, watch this??

Mythbusters did an episode about the story of guys in Vietnam burying their beer then setting it on fire to chill it.From thier experiment,all they did was cause the beer to smell like gas and be sandy.
    My concern is that with it being glass,the least is the wine would heat up.If it burns for too long,the glass could break.I say the way to chill it is just to simply put it in a cold dark area for a few days and let it chill like that.Or if need be,put it in a cold stream for a few hours.It may peel the lable off,but should make it fairly cool.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

I agree with Tenfed.
      Stuff it in running water, and let it rest for a few hours. BUT beware of thieves so you have to kind of hide it. tie some twine around the neck, and then to a big stick(or your big toe) toss it in the crick and sit back and have a nice conversation, and a small snack with your significant other while waiting for it to cool. No running water, now we have a quandry. Will packing it in straw, and then soaking the straw in water then let it condesate work? or how about leaving it out over night in the cool spring air work?
      Cris L. Westphal
      1st. Mich. Vol.
      2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
      A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

Nope, no stream water where we will be camped, so it's sort of a bugbear of a problem. I'm game for using some sort of flamable fluid that burns at a lower temp. I think that it could be a real talent once you get the knack of it.:D
        Mfr,
        Judith Peebles.
        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Hi Judith,

You won't need a stream or flamable liquid to cool your wine period style. Fill a basin/bowl that the bottle can sit in with water. Get a cloth that will cover the entire bottle, wet it, and wrap the bottle in it. Set the bottle, cloth cover and all into the water filled dish. Make sure there is always water in the dish and as the water on the cloth evaporates, it will wick up more water. The evaporation cools whatever is wrapped.

I use this to keep a stoneware jug of water cool - the water is cooler after a fairly short period of time than when it comes out of the tap or where ever I can get it. I also keep my butter solid with this same method. I don't know how it would work in a humid climate, since where I am is very dry. I read about this being used in the southwest by a military wife who didn't have a cool place to keep her perishable food, so I tried it and it works like a charm. :)

Warm regards,
          Janet Wragge

Comment

Drink red wine instead:)
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X