Wendall Decker leaving the business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wendall Decker leaving the business

I've only been doing wet-plate photography for a year now, but I can tell you it's the hardest work I've ever done.
    That Mr. Decker persevered so long on the circuit is testimony to his dedication to the craft. Although he probably makes it look easy, there is considerable research and behind-the-scenes work that goes into the craft before an event ever starts.
    Surely someone can help Wendall get back on his feet with just transportation, or the loan of a utility trailer to help someone who has done so much for the hobby.
    Bruce Schultz

Comment

Wendell posted this myspace bulletin yesterday...:

I am sorry that it has come to this. If I knew of a way to keep going, I would. Many of you have written me, expressing your concerns. I appreciate your kind words and wishes. You would think it would make me feel better. Quite frankly, you've had me in tears today. You all have made me realize that my photography business is not all I am losing. I am losing the oppertunity to see all my friends, in my travels. The best friends I have, are the lot of you. Gonna be hard to visit, when you all live so far away.

Still again, I thank you all, for allowing me to be part of your lives and I hope and pray that the what images I have done will ALWAYS be cherished keepsakes..

You gave me a life worth living

Take care of the day
      Jessa Hawthorne
      Un-Reconstructed string band / Hardee's Guard Battalion Civilian Society

Comment

He is the best. I have had my image taken almost a dozen times from him over the years, and the striking thing to me was he would be at big events, authentic events, and little ol' events in the boondocks of Missouri, even if only to capture one shot. He is an artist. We salute you pard!

Paul Arnold
        Paul Arnold

Comment

Though Wendell is stepping down from what he loves most in life, I have faith that we will see him once again when we least expect it!
          Micah Trent
          Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
          Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Though Wendell is stepping down from what he loves most in life, I have faith that we will see him once again when we least expect it!

I think it's going to besooner than you thought, Micah. I got these bulletins on our MySpace account from him:

Date: May 13, 2008 2:44 PM
            Subject: The Dead Can Dance
            Body: People, it would appear that I'm not out of it yet. Resaca is ON. The weather is going to be good and I have found a way to get there. So, empty your bank accounts and work my ass, until I drop. It's time to do my magic again.

Date: May 16, 2008 2:14 PM
            Subject: RESACA bound
            Body: Well, I'm off to Resaca, Georgia. Should be an interesting weekend. Clear your bank accounts out, and I'll see you there.
            Take care of the day
            Last edited by Amtmann; 05-17-2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: Added more...
            Rick Bailey
            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I guess this should be retitled "Wendall Decker NOT leaving the business"

(Just wondering why the originator of this thread didn't post the updates?)
              Last edited by Amtmann; 05-17-2008, 11:48 PM.
              Rick Bailey
              Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Letters of Felix Voltz, a drummer boy in the 187th New York Volunteer Regiment

February 10th Friday /65

Dear Broth & Parent

I will write you a few lines that I am well & that I hope you all the same I know of no news only that I send you the Picturs of me and my Partner when I got my $20.00 I went to get photographs taken there was two Partners got their Picture taken the same way and one of my Partners said he would pay for it if we get ours taken the same way then we got them and it saved us both so well both that we thought we would get each of us one so we did another shot I would send it home so that you could see my Partners how they look like but you cant tell much because we look such a hard set but we done it already for develmentire no more at Persent I will send my Photograph as soon as they get done I expect them tomorrow. I will send them right away best Respect to you in the family and all inquiring Friends.

I Remain your
                truly Brother
                Felix Voltz

Write as soon possible
                direct letters
                Felix Voltz Elmira N.Y.
                Barrigs no 1, 8th Ward
                Chris Rideout

Comment

Originally posted by Amtmann View Post
                  I think it's going to besooner than you thought, Micah. I got these bulletins on our MySpace account from him:

Body: People, it would appear that I'm not out of it yet. Resaca is ON. The weather is going to be good and I have found a way to get there. So, empty your bank accounts and work my ass, until I drop. It's time to do my magic again.

Body: Well, I'm off to Resaca, Georgia. Should be an interesting weekend. Clear your bank accounts out, and I'll see you there.
                  Take care of the day

My family had 3 images struck altogether, and most of my friends were having one done as well. Hopefully it will help him!
                  Jessa Hawthorne

Comment

Originally posted by Amtmann View Post

Take care of the day
                    See, I never doubted him for a second!:wink_smil
                    Thanks for the heads up on that.
                    Micah Trent
                    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

How I wish I could have been at Resaca this weekend.Let's hope Wendell was so busy he ran out of plates,chemicals,and simply energy.
                      Cullen Smith
                      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by tenfed1861 View Post
                        How I wish I could have been at Resaca this weekend.Let's hope Wendell was so busy he ran out of plates,chemicals,and simply energy.

He did!! :)
                        Jessa Hawthorne

Comment

Just got back from Resaca. He was busy all w/e ! Actually running out of glass plate materials and only being able to do tintypes on Sunday. The picture in my avatar was struck by him a few years ago.
                          Jerry Holmes
                          28th GA. Inf
                          65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Now this would be a weird idea, but it seems to me that he needs some working capital. Would it be possible to buy some Wendell Stock, redeemable in services later? If it gave him the means to get to a future event, buy a vehicle or kept him in the hobby, I would buy $40 worth.
                            Gregory Deese
                            Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                            "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

We wanted to get a couple images, but dang it all we waited too long!! By the time we were gonna get em done, Wendell was all out of supplies.. Bully for him!
                              Robert W. Hughes
                              Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                              Thrasher Mess
                              Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                              ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                              Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                              And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

What's cool is that he's trying to get a coffee table book put together to sell and help supplement his income. I know I'm going to buy one. It's fascinating just to watch him work!
                                Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                                WIG/GVB
                                In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Working...
                                X