Wendall Decker leaving the business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wendall Decker leaving the business

I was there as as well he made some great images.From the way he talked however he is skeptical about any future events but will do his best to attend.I too am very inetrested in gettin a copy of that book.Bully for the Master!!!!!
    Juston Pope
    "Temperance"
    Independent Rifles

Do YOU get tired of hamming and yamming at the Rootbeer stand? Tired of the soft handed authentic movement? PM me and join the IR!

Comment

I can't really add anything to the sentiment heretofore expressed. My avatar image is a Decker. I would post the others if I could un-amish myself long enough to figure out the upload process.

Wendell struck a series of images for us way back in 2000 if I recall. He was entirely obsessed with detail and the art of the image. It was not enough to simply put a couple o' bearded folks in front of a camera. No, he would check the light, adjust the items, advise on clothing and color changes, and work his tail off to ensure that the finest image was produced.

Addendum:

It appears that I have been divested of avatar and signature by the Computer Gods. My apologies. I have been indisposed for some time. I shall try to figure out how to redo my profile.

Regards &C,

William Carraway
      Co B Dixie Sledge Guards
      Last edited by Crag Rat; 05-24-2008, 12:58 PM. Reason: Signature, avatar, etc...
      William Carraway
      45th ALA, 23rd KY

Comment

He did work his butt off! Juston, I watched him do yours and dang.... As we speak, he's at Tannehill, Alabama trying to keep himself in business. I'm sure the book that he's trying to get published will help out, though. Keep praying for him if you want more done by him!:wink_smil
        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
        WIG/GVB
        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Good to have you back CragRat!
          Jessa Hawthorne
          Un-Reconstructed string band / Hardee's Guard Battalion Civilian Society

Comment

Hi: Is there any way that we can help Wendall get back on his feet and keep practicing the art he and we love?

Sounds like he needs a new van and traveling money to get started again. Anyone have any more ideas? (I would be willing to buy stock for future images as someone suggested)

It would be a shame to lose one of the few collodion artists. I'm not sure what is allowed on the forum, but maybe if we all helped or worked together we could do something.
            Respectfully,
            Betty Morgan
            xamier@bellsouth.net
            Winston Free State
            Citronelle, Alabama USA
            [COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Betty Morgan
            Wnston Free State
            Citronelle, Alabama[/COLOR]

Comment

Wendall did precious little business at Tannehill on Saturday--I did not get back on Sunday, but hope it stepped up greatly.

The realities of this particular business are even harder than those for the regular vendors in a economy on the downswing. Vendors must register for events months in advance, and pay a fee to do so. If it rains, a tent vendor still has some business, but a period photographer is virtually out of business. Thus, a photographer needs to be able to look at the weather before deciding whether a trip is worth his while.

Wendall's greatest need right now is customers, on site, with money to have an image made. As he is working from a rental van on the weekends, he's got a lot of sunk cost to cover before he ever makes a dime.

His second greatest need is a van in condition for long distance travel. His old one is completely dead.

And Miss Betty--there is another small project I've taken on --I'll be getting up with you and Miz Simpson about that one.
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Well I talked to him on the phone yesterday and he said between himself and the OTHER wetplate photographer that was there that they didn't get much at all.

For those of you who don't know and haven't figured it out by now, this is what Wendell does for a living. End of story. He earns his rent, utilities, operating costs, and not to mention, food (yes, he does eat occasionally when his hands aren't covered in varnish) by taking collodion photographs of us. It's a great novelty to us while we're getting our mugs shot but he's literally paying the rent. I'm keeping my eyes open for anything- a van for a good deal, upcoming events, whatever. Go on some of the car rental sites and check out how much renting a van for 3 days PLUS gas costs and chemicals...do the math. I applaud him for doing what he loves and he is a true master of his art.

Climbing off my soapbox now...
                Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                WIG/GVB
                In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I had a feeling Tannehill was not going to be a repeat of what resaca was.Something has to be done to keep this jewel of reenacting here with us.If nothing is done then we have lost a man whom is one in a billion.And an artist who is THE master of his craft.But most importantly we will lose a man who has befreinded us all and with his help has brought us just a little bit closer to those whose memory we keep alive.

PS thank you Chris for your kind words.I try hard to have "the look" and it makes me very happy to have someone tell me that.I believe you had the best Western Fed impression there.And you had some great photos done as well.:D
                  Juston Pope
                  "Temperance"
                  Independent Rifles

Do YOU get tired of hamming and yamming at the Rootbeer stand? Tired of the soft handed authentic movement? PM me and join the IR!

Comment

Originally posted by C.R. Henderson View Post
                    I'm keeping my eyes open for anything- a van for a good deal, upcoming events, whatever. I applaud him for doing what he loves and he is a true master of his art.

Climbing off my soapbox now...
                    Mr Henderson:
                    Please let us know if you find anything. I personally don't have enough money to purchase Wendell a van but I would certainly contribute toward the purchase if one could be found.

A lot of people have stated how much they love Wendell's work. If they all helped, maybe we could do something for him that would make a real difference.

Respectfully,
                    Betty Morgan
                    xamier@bellsouth.net
                    Winston Free State
                    Citronelle, Alabama USA
                    [COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Betty Morgan
                    Wnston Free State
                    Citronelle, Alabama[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X