Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenacting and the New Media

Gents,

I have been thinking, (which can be hazard at times). With some of the C/P/H side of the hobby having problems with the "established" Reenacting media (CCG and others), I wanted to start a discussion on how Authentic reenactors could get their message out without the hassle of a middle-man.

Youtube and other video based websites are far too under-used by our wing of the hobby. I've seen an endless number of farbs on there, but I have yet to see one good impression on video. I think an C/H/P wide "video newsletter" would be interesting. Along with hobby news, It could feature:

Interviews with event organizers, promoting their event.
    Post-event "parking lot AAR's" with participants
    Unit Profiles
    Tips to improve your impression.
    Advertisements for authentic equipment.

With today's digital camcorders and easy to use video editing software, I think it could be done. What do you guys think?

Will MacDonald

Re: Reenacting and the New Media

Hmmm - something we can call the ACVF (Authentic Campaigner Video Forum)?

While I decry the whole notion of a field based hobby turned into an internet based hobby further morphed into an internet video based hobby, I suppose a video portion on the AC would have merit - a picture does tell 1000 words.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I would NOT underrate this notion in the least.

I think that with proper maintenance and care, video information could be a very beneficial tool to all of us here on the forum, both veterans and newbies alike!

In a for instance, there was a great article in the last issue of the Civil War Historian that detailed proper coffee making skills in the field. The large photographs and step by step "directions" were really neat and helpful. It stood out so that I immediately revisited the format in my head and applied it to this topic at hand.

With that said, I think something in the way of a "How to..." section and an "Authenticity" section, even a well monitored "Sink" section, could prove themselves to be very worthwhile indeed. I know that being able to post and view garments, in length, at detail, would certainly be a bonus to those of us who for years have been relying on pictures alone. A moving camera with some commentary is always a pleasure. This method of viewing would go hand in hand with construction demonstrations and allowing one to see all the details that incorporate proper garment making. Hell, Chris could charge a PayPal fee so folks could get a unique password that gives them access to view his latest, I don't know, sack coat making video. Sounds good to me.

Obviously, I for one am happy that Will has brought this to our attention and it certainly is something to think about. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but hopefully sometime in the very near future something like this will come to light; appropriately, it would be nice to see it fall under the Authentic Campaigner's care and guidance...any takers?

Comment

Re: Grasp exceeding one's reach?

Hallo!

Any takers? :)

If the posted written word were not enough, what a "Moderator's Nightmare" a video forum would be. ;) :) :)

Buhahahahahahaahaa!!!!

Just a-funnin'...
        Kinda.

Others' embrace of technology, and mileage, will vary.... ;) :)

(Sorry, just back from a six gun battery demonstration where it appeared the mean age was 70, hair and beard color gray or white, and half of some crews were true ''grannies." I"ll get over it...)

Curt
        Creating a Frankfurter Monster one medium at a time Mess
        Who watched too many LARP You-Tube presentations
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Good idea, ya'll...

Nevertheless, there would be some that would be reluctant to accept the new "AC YouTube" creation. (Remember, some authentics don't like computers still...)

It might take time to catch-on and become mainstream useage by the authentic community, though. But it is a great idea and possibly one that's time has come seeing such recent forum events.

In my previous job before the Army, I was a cameraman at a local TV news station and our assignment editor used to LOVE when hobbyists and enthusiasts of all pastimes were holding an event that our news cameras would be able to cover. All it takes is a press release to the right fax machine number at a local news station and the educated folks of this forum/community would be great for spot-on period footage as well as explanations/interviews at Living Histories. (You might not want modern intrusions at events NOT open to the public at large, though, of course. ;))

Lordy knows, the mainstreamers sure hog the media's limelight... 'bout time authentics took it back.

Bully- Johnny Lloyd
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far. The first plan that popped into my head was something like this: Every month, this "Newsletter" would post a 30 min, newscast style video, these newscasts could be broken into parts on youtube so everyone could see it. Using facebook, myspace, and other social networks, (even "old-fashioned" email) to promote the newsletter, I think we can hit a pretty big audience.

Now, this format would need "reporters", each reporter would have a digital camcorder and send his report via the internet to an editor, who would then have the job of putting the show together and posting it online. Each reporter would have a certain area to cover so the work gets spread out, and not every reporter would have a story each month. It's an evolving idea....

Will MacDonald

Comment

I can see it now..."The Men of Reenacting", followed by "The Men of Reenacting Gone Wild"...!:D
              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

That would be a great idea, and I had the same thoughts a few months back while checking out some of the videos on Youtube. Got a few hateful emails( I guess I deserved them) for the comments I left on this video at YouTube under the name WilliamNey or some such...

The 20th New York Volunteer Artillery joined its fellow Union soldiers in Williamsburg, VA to reenact the battle that took place there over a century and a h...

And I'm in this one(same event at Endview Plantation), at 2:50, second from right, at a kneeling position, blanket roll...
                The 20th New York Volunteer Artillery joined its fellow Union soldiers in Williamsburg, VA to reenact the battle that took place there over a century and a h...

It looked terrible when I was there. It looks a hundred times worse on video... We definately need representation...

If nothing else, such videos, if done from time to time, would allow us to actually see and hear ourselves in the field. It would, I believe, benefit our attempts at improving our impressions... Just a thought...

William Birney
                Independent
                William Birney
                Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                  I can see it now..."The Men of Reenacting", followed by "The Men of Reenacting Gone Wild"...!:D
                  Promises, promises...:)
                  Annette Bethke
                  Austin TX
                  Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
                  [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Hallo!

"Nevertheless, there would be some that would be reluctant to accept the new "AC YouTube" creation. (Remember, some authentics don't like computers still...) "

Remember some "authentics" don't like video cameras, cameras, cell phone cameras, and cel phones at H/A events much either. ;) :) :)

(We must first become the change we wish to see, before trying to document it.)

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Not sure if this was posted but thought I would share this anyway. Found this while browsing some videos on youtube. It's actually footage from the Chickamauga LH from last September.
                      This was part of the 144th anniversary commemoration at the park. The reenactors are the Western Independent Grays who were pretty awsome. Love the artillery...
                      [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
                      1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

Working...
                      X