Historical mixed with fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical mixed with fiction

I imagine many are aware of Harry Turtledove's "Guns Of the South" I was thinking about a "what if" book along those lines. Have a group of reencators that somehow get sent back to the mid war era, as in "Final Countdown" This happens as they are in period clothing and with all of their usual kit that they take to events. They get sent back as going to an event, during an event, or after an event going home. They met with the soldiers. They face the hardships, disease, foodstuffs,camping,long marches and most of all the real lead flying around. How would they last? How would the soldiers respond to the reenactors? Would the soldiers think the reenactors are from Europe, or a differant part of the U.S/C.S. Many other questions could be asked. I would think a book like that would be a interesting read for ones pleasure in the reenacting community. I know it wouldn't make the NewYork Times best seller list, but, I haven't seen or heard anything like it mentioned. Whoever writes it, would have to spend time with the reenactor crowd and lots of time in the reasearch dept.
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Historical mixed with fiction

It's sort of been done. Considering I doubt the writers, directors, and actors had any detailed knowledge of the Civil War, and the entire Confederate Army consists of twenty guys and a wagon, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I saw it a few years ago and I fear my memeory might be faulty. To those of us with more knowledge than most, it seems a bit silly. To those of my family with less knowledge, they thought it was pretty darn good.

Like most 'fish out of water' or 'what if' stories, it is easy to argue story points like "they wouldn't do it that way', 'they only have to do this', and so on.
    David Buckley

CWPT

"We have the wolf by the ears; and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

There's at least one book in this vien, it's 5 or 6 years old though I can't remember the name right off. I actually have this and will look for it later. Some unit goes back in time because they walk through fog, I believe it's Stones River but wouldn't swear to it. I would think they were a more mainstream unit as they have several female soldiers but apparently thier impressions are good enough not to raise eyebrows among the real thing. Luckily all the female soldiers seem to be RNs with huge first-aid kits that enable them to perform painless and sterile amputations on their pards. I won't give away the rest of it.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

John when you find the name let me know. I was thinking more along the lines of just a group of young guys that have nothing modern to take with them, just what they usually carry at events, that way no modern items can be used for any reason. They know the outcome of the war, no doubt, but they also know if they interfere it could make things worse. So they just go along and try to find their war back to the 20/21 century.

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

Comment

The book is titled "The Lost Company, A Stones River Odyssey" by William Thomas Venner. ISBN # 1-887499-02-4.

A different read. About the 6th OVI Co. A reenacting unit ending up at the original battle of Stone River. Tom has used the names of the actual members of the unit (my old mainstrean unit)during the time frame of when he wrote the book.

Crabby
          Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
          John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Thank You Mr. Crabb.I will inquire on Amazon to purchase.

Comment

Working...
            X