Interesting reenactment footage and program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting reenactment footage and program

In doing some research for the history of Civil War reenacting, I happened upon these two clips:

1) 1862 - A Civil War Re-Enactment (made in 1962!)

"1862 is a Civil War short comprised of early 8mm color film of Civil War re-enactment footage taken in the early 60s by the Kersten Family. Local Phoenix celebrities and artists such as, Wallace and Ladmo, Mike Condello and the Kerstens got together to have fun playing in the desert surrounding Phoenix. Most of the film shot in B&W was used on the Wallace and Ladmo Show in Phoenix Arizona. The color home movie footage used here was never intended to be used on the air and has never been seen by the public, until now."

2) What's Up Wit That? Civil War Recreationists (June 18, 1997 by Fired Up Productions)

Basically, its a show that interviews 3 reenactors about reenacting. Its a half hour show. The show, a series called "What's Up Wit That?" is based out of the San Fransisco bay area and hosted by Andrew Willyoung.

I thought both were interesting in their own way, if you get what I am saying.
    David Fictum,
    Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
    recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Re: Interesting reenactment footage and program

You sir owe me 31 minutes and 16 seconds of my life back.The first video filmed in in 62 was kind of amussing. but the second one was just terrible. When that artillery chick said that they were the most accurate I died a little bit inside. I didnt even finish watching it.
    Russell L. Stanley
    Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
    Co.A 45th Mississippi
    Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
    Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

The first clip was interesting. Spencer Waldron was out west around that time and may be able to shed some light on the footage. He'd be worth speaking with if you havn't already. Good luck with your project, Garrett
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

I guess I did not express myself right when I said "both were interesting in their own way, if you get what I am saying." I could help but laugh at the second one in that "your joking, you can't be serious" kind of way. I hope that none of you actually watch the whole program (the 2nd one) all the way through unless you want to. I couldn't do it myself. Its only interesting to me as a part of reenacting history as an example of media interest in our hobby.
        David Fictum,

Comment

That second video I had seen before and must shamefuly admit, I did watch it all the way through. It's like I car wreck, I just couldn't look away.
          Thanks,
          Patrick Skeese
          "[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]Jurgitem Valetem[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Western Federal Blues

[url]www.westernfederalblues.org[/url]

[url]www.30thovi.com[/url]

[I]"Of all the words both tongue and pen, the saddest of all are what might have been.---[/I]

Comment

The Arizona footage was filmed just down the road from me and is fun stuff. Wallace & Ladmo was a long running children's show here in AZ and the actually did numerous old-timey silent movies for the show over the years. There is a very amusing video at the AZ Historical Society Museum in Phoenix of a Civil War battle to capture coffee complete with bowling a cannon ball to take out a 10-pin company. Wallace actually did reenact and many of the people in the comedy video reenacted as well, but the videos should probably be regarded as footage of movie making using reenactors, not of a reenactment itself. Although, truth be told, the video looks a lot like the pictures of Arizona Reenacting in the 70's that I have seen, and bears some resemblance to some of the mainstream here today. ;-)

I got my Ladmo Bag in 1983, my dad got one in in the 1960s. :-)
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

the video you linked appears to be the same one I linked. Interesting background information though.
              David Fictum,

Comment

Drat, I couldn't see the video on this computer. I'll see if I can locate an online version of the video that aired.
                Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

The first clip was funny as all get up.I think we've all been to events like this before.The second was just scarry.
                  Cullen Smith
                  South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Working...
                  X