Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did your mess get its name?

All-

So... a fellow comrade and I got to talking at an event this past weekend. Besides a proven historical name, there must be some interesting way your mess got its name...

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: How did your mess get its name?

Although Its sort of a joke mess name...
    At the CVG Militia drill weekend this April, Tom Scoufalos, Jason Spellman, Randy Allen and I were supposed to be doing first person in the guard house and keeping the conversation to the events recently occurring at Harpers Ferry with John Brown. Everything we said had some reference to John Brown and his treason....for instance, while playing cards Tom lost a hand and said, "looks like my lucks run out......kind of like John Brown's." A woman came in with a dog and Jason said ,"John Brown will hang like a dog!" You get the idea.

Earlier on Tom had told us about a website called gizoogle.com which translates webpages into gansta speak. The funniest example was Brian Pohanka being translated to Brian Pohizzle. So after the event , someone typed in John Brown's name and it came out John Brizzay.....and thats how the John Brizzay Mess got started.

Try translating webpages at gizoogle.com especially the AC. Youll die laughing.
    Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
    John Brizzay Mess
    SkillyGalee Mess
    http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

Carleton's Cannibals

Not much of a story behind ours. Carleton's Cannibals comes from the name of our commander and following quote combined with the fact that many of our historic recruits came from the area where the Donner party settled in California.

"When our advanced guard and cavalry first reached the Rio Grande they [the Texans] got up and left in such a hurry that they left all their sick behind at Franklin who were agreably surprized [sic] at the treatment they received at our hands, for they were laboring under the false impression which their leaders had imbued them with, that the California troops were but little better than Cannibals who would torture if not eat their prisoners"
      - -Eli W. Hazen, 1st Infatry California Volunteers (Diary August 31, 1862)
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Mine mess was formed with the intent of doing living histories using the most accurate soldier portrayal possible. We did not want to be the "typical" reenactors doing a presentation at schools and parks. My specialty area (i did it once, people liked it, no one seemed to get offended, and therefore I'm stuck) is slavery. I often stress that the slave population in my area was very low and most of our ancestors didn't own slaves. I feel that my family and those around them were fighting for the right to do what they want on their land and their property. It developed a "fighting for my land" phrase. My family is heavily weighted with irish descent so I chose words from the old country "Millin' Muck"----technically fighting dirt...but you get the idea.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

The mess I belong to was formed at an event here in Ca. in October of 07. We didn't have an official name until Jan. of 08. From 10/07 we were know as the Snuff mess do to the fact that all of our members are known for using copious amounts of snuff. We also refereed to our selves in a joking manner as The TexMoSipp Society, An elite subdivision of the First Texas Infantry. And not to mention The Chocolate Peoples mess.
          It was at Camp Roberts in January of this year that we adopted our official mess name. Before the for event we had a mess meeting just to decide on a name that we felt be a historical representation of an actual mess. Several names were kicked around and nothing could be settled on. It wasn't until Saturday evening that a name was found. While sitting around and cooking rations we were named by our company commander. Apparently we are know for always have some sort of conversation going on. And our C.O. walked by and said something to the effect of us being like a bunch of d@mn Jaybirds because we never shut up. That was it we all liked the sound of the Jaybirds so we decided on that.
          Shortly after the event we found a town in the 1860 census of our area and added the name of that town to our mess name so we could all have a common back story as to why we were a mess.

So was born The Steelvile Jaybird Mess.

The members of our Mess include the following.

First Sgt. Bill Treadway
          Second Sgt. Dan Biggs
          Pvt. Andy Mouradian
          Pvt. Justin Novack
          And your Humble Narrator
          Pvt. Russ Stanley.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jaybirds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	218411
          Last edited by gilham; 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM.
          Russell L. Stanley
          Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
          Co.A 45th Mississippi
          Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
          Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Hairy Nation was a derogatory name given to more rural/"backwoods" counties in Iowa. To be more exact Davis county in Iowa. In the 1850's at the Old Capital (Iowa City) a member of the State Legislature(from a larger Iowa city) at the end of one of his speeches made the statement "I defer to the gentelmen from the Hairy Nation." This was intended as an insult to rural Iowans. I could go on and on but I won't.

Late 1991 into 1992 when members of two organizations here in Iowa decided to become one the name was chosen. So, the Hairy Nation Boys was born in 1992. Many people think we get our names from the fact that most of us have beards. We like to tell them the real story.
            Nathan Hellwig
            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Bad choice of wiping paper... :D
              Tyler Gibson
              The Independent Rifles

Comment

3 was as high as any of us could count.
                Andy Ackeret
                A/C Staff
                Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Well people around my area are called Flatlander's since the land is....well Flat. Being as our members live here, we took up that name.

Comment

Syracuse NY was one of the foremost sites for Salt production.

Salt boilers was a derogatory name given to given to one regiment (149th NY) raised in Onondaga county by the 137th NY who in turn were known as "The Ambulance chasers"

Bill O'Dea
                    Salt boilers mess / 122nd NY

Ft. Drum Time Line June 13 14 15, for the families of the 10th Mt. Division

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                      Besides a proven historical name, there must be some interesting way your mess got its name...
                      Why are you all explaining the meaning behind your mess names? Part of the pride and exclusivity of being in a mess or group of the period was that only the members were normally privy to the meaning or origin of the name.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool to hear where you fellows got the ideas for your mess names, but I sure ain't tellin'.
                      Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

We have never held our name as a secret. If people wanted to know the origins we told them.

Come to Kennesaw and you can meet more of the HAIRY NATION!
                        Nathan Hellwig
                        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Hallo!

Elitist, Exclusionist, Snobby, Mean, Nasty, Hardcore Mess, I think was given to some of us... ;) :)

Oh......
                          My last mess was the "Shadetree Mess," after a proclivity for being found reclining under.... shade trees.

Curt
                          Man of a Thousand Messes, mostly the fall-out and remnants of the 1st Golden Era of the Great Mess Names Era of a few years ago Mess...
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The "Mudslinger" mess I belong to derived their name from an event where we portrayed an Ohio militia unit. While being held captive, our arms and pikes taken from us, we started throwing mudpies at the Confederates, hence the name "Mudslinger Mess". Also, our unit
                            (33rd O.V.I., Company F) adopted the nickname the "Acorn Boys" after the nickname of the
                            14th Corps, which the 33rd was originally assigned as 1st Brigade, 1st Division.

Nick Miller
                            33rd O.V.I.
                            Mudslinger Mess
                            Acorn Boys

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
                            -Thomas Jefferson
                            [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                            -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Waco Mess simply came from the fact that it was formed in Waco,KY.We are not from Waco,TX.Get it right people.
                              Cullen Smith
                              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X