"Former" for rifled musket cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Former" for rifled musket cartridges

Does anybody sell a ready-made former for .58 caliber paper cartridges? If I had access to a lathe, I could make one, but I found out that company policy at my new job does not encourage "government projects" (one of the few things I miss about my old job...).

For that matter, is there anyone on the forum who would be willing to make one for me for a reasonable price? It should be about 8" long, .580" in diameter. One end should be slightly concave, while the other end should resemble the "business end" of a Minie ball (sans grease grooves). The 2 different ends are so I can make 2 different styles of cartridge (1855 and 1861), to see which one I like better.

The 1855 cartridge used 3 pieces of paper: a stiff inner powder cylinder with a wrapper of thinner paper, both rolled together and one end folded and pasted and pressed into the concave end of the former, then the 2-layer powder cylinder and the bullet were wrapped in a final outer layer of thinner paper, the bullet end tied shut, and the powder added and the powder end of the paper folded over. The idea behind the stiff inner cylinder was to give some sort of resistance to make it easier to tear the paper wrapper away from the Minie ball prior to loading it into the gun.

The 1861 cartridge was less complex and therefore less expensive and time consuming to make (neccessary due to the expenses and logistics of the war), and was simply 2 pieces cut to the pattern of the outermost layer of the 1855 cartridge. One would be rolled around the former and the end tied shut at the "bullet-shaped" end of the former, then the end of the cylinder (with the former still in it) would be inserted into the hollow base of the bullet, and the bullet and powder cylinder wrapped in the second piece of paper. The bullet end would then be tied shut, and powder added and the opposite end folded as in the 1855 cartridge.

Yeah, I know, seems like a lot of work and bother, but (a), I like to experiment, and (b) they'd make great quick-loads for hunting!
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: "Former" for rifled musket cartridges

Richard,

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head that makes a former, but here is an idea i used for my home made "ghetto cartridge rolling do-hicky":

1. Find a pipe that is right around the size that you need for your cartridges (i found a copper pipe that fits my .58 muskets almost exactly)

2. Take a Minnie ball and screw a wood screw into the bottom of it so it will hold nice and tight

3. Wrap the screw in masking tape until it will fit snugly inside the pipe.

I know it is a crude way of doing this but I didn’t have access to a lathe either and my rolling do-hicky has worked well for several years now.

Chase

Comment

Richard-like chase I found a low tech expediant. I took a half inch dowel and whittled the end down enough to fit the cavity in the base of a stray minie. I then epoxied the minie to the dowel and built up the first 4 or so inches with tape until it matched the diameter of the ball. To roll the powder cup,I took the other end and built it up with tape, and by a little trial and error got it to the a diameter equal to the interior of the outer wrapper minus the thickness of the inner wrapper and stiffner. I didn't bother to concave the end, I just slide the cup up a little and crimp it with my thumbnail. Has worked great for years and I've gotten numerous compliments on my rounds. The use of the earlier pattern round really enhances the duribility of the cartridges as well as eases loading while helping to minimize powder eating.
      Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Thanks! I'm waiting to get my Lee Minie ball mold, so I can get myself a supply of ammo (the ones I bought from Dixie Gunworks were a bit "rough", and they're nearly gone anyway).
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Sending PM, I have what you are looking for.
          Thanks,
          Patrick Skeese
          "[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]Jurgitem Valetem[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Western Federal Blues

[url]www.westernfederalblues.org[/url]

[url]www.30thovi.com[/url]

[I]"Of all the words both tongue and pen, the saddest of all are what might have been.---[/I]

Comment

I have found something to use as a former that I believe works well, is relatively inexpensive, and is easy to find. You can go to any store that sells musical instruments and buy a pair of drumsticks and cut them down. It is true that drumsticks taper at the end, But, there is a good 8-10 inches at the handle that is consistent in diameter. A common size drumstick is 9/16 of an inch in diameter (.5625) and is close to the size of a .58 minie ball. I have found this to be easy to use.

Kind Regards,

Richard O'Flaherty
            Richard O'Flaherty
            Private Daggett

Comment

Working...
            X