Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to see in Texas

Hi,

I am going to be traveling a few days in Texas, going from Austin to Dallas in a 5 day period.

Can you guys help me find the special places to go, the real good "historical" places that could be left out if you don't know the area. I don't have the time to go pouring through the guide books this trip. So please help me find where I should go, or where I should eat in Texas!

Many thanks in advance.

Frank Long

Re: Places to see in Texas

Hi Frank,

I bet I can throw some good suggestions your way. I have some strong recommendations regarding Mexican food and BBQ from San Antonio to Dallas. Email me with some particulars, like do you have time to get off the Interstate between Austin and Dallas. Do you have an interest in sites related to the Texas Revolution from Mexico? And regardless of what else you do, plan half a day to go to the Civil War Museum on the west side of Ft. Worth. It's packed with artifacts collected over 30 years by a guy with lots of Texas oil money. He built the museum a few years ago just to display his CW military collection and his wife's 19th century dress collection. The building also houses a grand collection of CW Texas flags on loan from here and there. No long story board posters about the culture of the time, just lots and lots of stuff on display.

Phil McBride
    The Alamo Rifles
    Phil McBride
    Author:
    Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
    Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
    Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
    Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
    Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
    Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

I am a volunteer at the Texas Civil War Museum (west side of Ft Worth). You have to go, you won't be dissapointed. It is closed on Sundays and Mondays. Tell thme I sent you when you come in. Go to their web site for directions. Send mr email if you'd to know more such as what is not on display. If driving, stop at Hill College at Hillsboro. See the Museum and vist the Confederate Research Center- I help there as well. Tell them I sent you as well.

Joe Walker

Comment

Frank,

Don't leave Austin without having seen the Brigadier General John C. L. Scribner Texas Military Forces Museum: www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/ located at Camp Mabry. The 'museum and archival collection is dedicated to the men and women who served in the military forces of Texas' throughout history.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
        [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
        [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
        16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
        22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
        &
        [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
        4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Go to Royse City which is just east of Dallas proper. Shake hands with the mayor. Tell him that old man Royse's great great grandson sent you. Then tell him to correct the error on the city's webpage that states gramps served with the 19th Missouri (CS). There wasn't a 19th Missouri in CS service. He was in Co. I of the 9th Missouri (CS).
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I knew that you guys would be better than any guide book.

I will follow all the suggestions and will have a wonderful trip.

If anyone else has suggestions, I will continue to check this site during the trip, which will probably be June 11 thru 16.

Many continuing thanks

Frank Long :)

Comment

Although a bit off of your route, Camp Ford near Tyler. It was a prison camp that housed a number of Federal prisoners after the Battle of Mansfield. Here is the wikipedia site for it.

The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco is also a good place to visit.
              Rick Biddle
              Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
              Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Working...
              X