Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAR Coat

Hi all;

I want to put together a GAR uniform for myself. I have looked at photos of veterans and have surmised that there is not one standard coat. Would it be proper to wear an old sack, with GAR buttons, or do I want to make a new blouse for the occasion? If I make a new one, what pattern would be more proper? Thanks for the help!!!!
    Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Re: GAR Coat

DO you know an old man who can do the impression????:tounge_sm

RM
    Rod Miller
    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

I don't have a lot to offer here, but I will be watching because this is a subject dear to my own heart. For some reason, what happened when the boys came home has always been at least as interesting as what happened while they were fighting.

The 1898 Sears, Roebuck catalog did feature GAR uniforms in several styles, so there couldn't have been a single uniform. In this picture, my GG-grandpa Dan is watching his brothers go off to the GAR reunion. It looks to me as if the old soldiers have matching jackets, but the pants are different. We're not sure what year this was taken; it may be 1913 or later. I don't know clothing styles well enough to judge. All of them lived to be quite old, so this could have been taken as late as the 1930s.
      Attached Files
      Becky Morgan

Comment

Though the whole story now escapes me, (it's been years), a father/son from our old unit, The Campaigner's had a couple of GAR coats that the dad got from A GAR up in New York. They were actually frock coats, almost green in color (from fading?). Very form fitting.
        When we were working on the Antietam film, the son, Ben Barber worked for Brad behind the camera. If you contact Will Eichler on here, he may be able to steer you in their direction.
        [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Comment

Becky;

That is an awesome pic. Thanks for sharing with us. I just love the old veteran photos and movies. Any one else have a good one?
          Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Hi Karl,

I do not know if you had a chance to visit the Wisconsin Veterans Museum, but they should have a GAR uniform on display to view. If you contact Bill Brewster, he may be able on appointment basis let you examine an original in the WVM collection.

Best of luck Karl,

Tom
            Tom Klas
            Hard Head Mess
            Citizens Guard

Comment

Karl,
              There is a book called "Grand Army of the Republic - Department of Wisconsin"
              by Thomas J. McCrory that might interest you. It contains 15 years of research regarding the GAR in Wisconsin. Part of the research was sponsored by the Wisconsin Veterans Museum. Copies are available through the Museum gift shop. I have a copy and enjoy reading it. The research is very impressive. It seems like almost every town in Wisconsin had a GAR post during the late 1800s. Common uniforms appeared to be dark double breasted suit coats with brass military style buttons, plain white shirts, ties, dark trousers, and dark slouch hats of various styles with a GAR insignia.
              Regards,
              Dan McGraw
              GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
              GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Tom and Dan;

These are excellent suggestions. Since I live in Madison, I will visit the museum very soon (it's been a while since I've been there). This is a project that I have been thinking about for a long time, but just lately have actually wanted to do something about. Just like Kenosha and other things that the ONV has done that has gotten me out of hibernation, the GAR also excites me. Maybe by next year I will be able to go to the Fox Lake event as a GAR veteran. If I can get a few more old guys interested, that would be great. Now, all we need is a couple VRC events and I will be all set.
                Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I plan on doing a full time GAR impression post 150th events. Something about going to re-enactments, wearing a GAR "uniform" and being a comudgeon apeals to me? I figure I will re-enact the 1st day of Gettysburg 150th, Sell my gear and then tell the young-uns they are all "farbs" as I don my GAR Gear. We could do a "reunion" re-enactment!
                  Shawn Callahan
                  14th CVI Co G

Comment

Working...
                  X