More Corduroy Trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Corduroy Trousers

Apparently, corduroy was a reasonably popular alternative to the wool trousers worn by officers. I had heard that General Buford was wearing corduroy trousers at Gettysburg (I haven't been able to confirm that however) . In any event I found an image of two officers side by side both wearing corduroy. I had to blow up the trousers to show it, cutting off the rest of the picture. If you want to see the image it's Digital ID: cwpb 03762
    Major H. W. Sawyer & staff.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: More Corduroy Trousers

Hummmmmmm.

I wonder what color they were? Sky blue?
    PATRICK CRADDOCK
    Prometheus No. 851
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Widows' Sons Mess
    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

And...those of us who do any research know this, but that picture throws out the old "reenactor" tale that they only had wide whale cords back then....
      Chris Utley
      South Union Mills
      [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
      [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

I wonder what color they were? Sky blue?
        I'm pretty sure they were sky blue, the comfort and durability of corduroy while keeping with the regulation color as officers, but you never know.

Originally posted by Utley View Post
        And...those of us who do any research know this, but that picture throws out the old "reenactor" tale that they only had wide whale cords back then....
        There is a mid-19th century women's bonnet in The Los Angeles County Museum of Art's collection, that is made from very fine whale white cotton corduroy, the very same fine whale corduroy typically found in most chain fabric stores:

http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/m...448_67-191.jpg

With technology capable of manufacturing incredibly fine fabrics such as an 1850s vest in my collection that is made from silk velvet that has woven figs., printed plaids, and woven plaids all in the same fabric, dresses and vests that were made from flocked silk velvet applied in incredible patterns through a manufacturing process, faux furs, etc., etc., why is it hard for some to believe that they were capable of manufacturing fine whale corduroy...?

Then, as Mr. Utley says, those of us who do any research know.
        Last edited by Ian McWherter; 05-26-2008, 08:08 PM.
        Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Ken,
          What software are you using to blow up these pictures? There are a few pictures I would like to try it on.
          James Duffney
          61st NY
          Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Be awfully hard to sneak up on the enemy while wearing those, dontcha think ("vwipp...vwipp...")....? ;)
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
              What software are you using to blow up these pictures? There are a few pictures I would like to try it on.
              I am not sure what other programs are able to blow up images with quality detail, but I use Adobe Photoshop 9.0 to peruse through the Tiff formatted images available from the Library of Congress.

There are more current versions out now of the Photoshop program, I believe they have changed the name to Creative Suite (or CS). The programs they offer are nothing cheap, I believe when we got the 9.0 version it was about $500, so unless you think it's worth the money and can use the other features, or you do a lot of work with photography, then I would suggest seeking another program or looking on eBay.

Good luck,
              Patrick
              W. Patrick Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ian McWherter View Post
                I'm pretty sure they were sky blue, the comfort and durability of corduroy while keeping with the regulation color as officers, but you never know.
                Looking at the cord trousers in comparison to the dark blue woolen trousers on the officer seated at center, I would guess that, if they are blue, the are likely a dark blue. The lighter shade of sky blue kersey tends to show up in photos from the period.

... but I could be all wet ...it is really hard to tell color from photos. :confused_
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                X