Skirmishing distances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirmishing distances

Sir and Ma'am, being new to this here mess I was doing homework by going way back in the sinks threads. I stopped to post on "breast plate armor" and was surprised as my post was on a 4 year old thread and others posted right behind me. If I may, Hank Trents post behind me, "rifle bullets at 40 rods, thats an eighth of a mile", got me to thinking about skirmishing and feeling that distance (nearly 3 football field lengths). So when would you start pushin' them fella's once you want to fight as you can see them good at 40 rods? I used the search function, "skirmishing distances" and got a thread "Fire by rotation-documented or not". This got some great posts but still looking found the FAQ page from which I got to the links section and found "Skirmishing is not nearly so trying" by Bob Braun. Well it was all like a serendipity, but my question is, when should you start shootin' at them fella's? Thanks
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Skirmishing distances

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
    Sir and Ma'am, being new to this here mess I was doing homework by going way back in the sinks threads. I stopped to post on "breast plate armor" and was surprised as my post was on a 4 year old thread and others posted right behind me. If I may, Hank Trents post behind me, "rifle bullets at 40 rods, thats an eighth of a mile", got me to thinking about skirmishing and feeling that distance (nearly 3 football field lengths). So when would you start pushin' them fella's once you want to fight as you can see them good at 40 rods? I used the search function, "skirmishing distances" and got a thread "Fire by rotation-documented or not". This got some great posts but still looking found the FAQ page from which I got to the links section and found "Skirmishing is not nearly so trying" by Bob Braun. Well it was all like a serendipity, but my question is, when should you start shootin' at them fella's? Thanks
    Since one of the principles of skirmishing is to slow down the enemy as far as possible from your own lines,
    requiring him to take the time to deploy his forces rather than advancing upon yours, and since skirmishers are supposed to be equipped with rifled weapons, it seems to me that you should start shootin' at those other fellows at least at that distance of 40 rods (or 220 yards), which is about half the effective range of the Springfield or Enfield rifle musket. The sooner you start hitting them, the better.
    "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
    Third U.S. Regular Infantry
    http://buffsticks.us

Comment

Working...
    X