Confederate version of Hardee's Drill Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate version of Hardee's Drill Manual

I'm looking for a reprint of the Confederate version of Hardee's Drill Manual, originaly published as:
    ----------------
    Hardee's Rifle and Infantry Tactics, S.H. Goetzel & Co., Mobile, various editions, 1861-1863 Goetzel advertised this edition as "Hardee's Correct, Complete, Perfect, and Revised and Improved Infantry and Rifle Tactics,"

Hardee’s revision for three band weapons. 1st printed in Mobile in 1861

Hardee, William J. (1862) Rifle and Infantry Tactics. North Carolina.
    ---------------

I have have copies of the reprints of the 1855 Version, and the 1862 New York version, but I am looking for a reprint of the version he published after he resigned from the Union Army.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: Confederate version of Hardee's Drill Manual

I have heard that there was a reprint of the Goetzel done 30 years ago, but I have never seen one. There is a reprint of a NC Hardees that has the same information on the revision. Or if you are interested I can snail mail you a photocopy of the manual of arms including the stacking from the Goetzel Hardee's. I have access to some originals. One was used by a SC officer and the other was used by a Georgia officer.

There is a neat plate in the front where Hardee comments that he has revised the manual to reflect the arms in the hands of the CS troops. (Presumably meaning three band weapons) The revisions do not show up in the first edition, but appear from then on.

You can email mer with you address and can get this to you. I also include the title page and plate. One of the originals is a 5th edition and was published in the "First Year of the Confederacy".

George Susat
    Confederate Guard

Comment

If you can wait, there ought to be a quality reprint of the Goetzel edition available soon. The fellow who has reprinted Gilham and Casey, the ones available through Chris Daley's site, is working with his printer and should have Hardee revised out this summer.

Eric
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric,

What's the "fellow's" name again????:D
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

And if you cannot wait ...

... I can send you reprints from my computer of the Schools of the Soldier and Company plus the Instruction for Skirmishers. These are all from "RIFLE AND INFANTRY TACTICS, REVISED AND IMPROVED, BY BRIG. GEN. W. J. HARDEE, C. S. ARMY. 1862".

I've formatted them to a size similar to DalBello's (5.5" x 8.5") in a nine point type in a gaudy old font on my WordPerfect software. (Got to do something while sitting in court waiting for my clients' cases to be called.) They are in three separate booklets. Each is booklet is individually printed and sewn on my foot treadle machine. Cost for all three is twelve bucks with shipping included. If you're not satisfied, send 'em back within thirty days. I'll refund the price of the booklets - ten bucks.

I'm in trial this week and won't be able to make time to prepare copies until this weekend. Let me know.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann
            If you can wait, there ought to be a quality reprint of the Goetzel edition available soon. The fellow who has reprinted Gilham and Casey, the ones available through Chris Daley's site, is working with his printer and should have Hardee revised out this summer.

Eric

Eric,

I'm looking forward to this reprint.

Originally posted by Silas
            ... I can send you reprints from my computer of the Schools of the Soldier and Company plus the Instruction for Skirmishers. These are all from "RIFLE AND INFANTRY TACTICS, REVISED AND IMPROVED, BY BRIG. GEN. W. J. HARDEE, C. S. ARMY. 1862".

I've formatted them to a size similar to DalBello's (5.5" x 8.5") in a nine point type in a gaudy old font on my WordPerfect software. (Got to do something while sitting in court waiting for my clients' cases to be called.) They are in three separate booklets. Each is booklet is individually printed and sewn on my foot treadle machine. Cost for all three is twelve bucks with shipping included. If you're not satisfied, send 'em back within thirty days. I'll refund the price of the booklets - ten bucks.

I'm in trial this week and won't be able to make time to prepare copies until this weekend. Let me know.
            Mr. Tackitt,

I'm sending you an e-mail (to your zipcon.net address) about your booklets. I am interested.

Thank you.
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Has this Hardee's reprint ever been made?

Mark Berrier
              North State Rifles
              Mark Berrier

Comment

Yes, including a dandy leather-bound version! Not sure who carries what these days. I picked mine up from Daley some years ago.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I inherited the remaining stock of these a little over a year ago. Chris Daley was selling them, but I'm not sure if he still has any. The Rgeimental Quartermaster in Gettysburg most certainly does have them. Right now, these are the only two folks carrying Hardee's Revised. If you have trouble locating a set from one of these two vendors, let me know.

Eric
                  Eric J. Mink
                  Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                  Stonewall Brigade

Comment

George-Eric

I got a set from S&S some years ago and wondered why two volumes? I was under the impression that Goetzel's was bound in one volume. Please advise.

Joe Walker
                    Waco Guards

Comment

Joe,

Goetzel's edition was strictly two separate volumes -- Volume I containing Schools of the Soldier and Company, as well Instruction for Skirmishers; Volume II containing School of the Battalion. Other editions, which were not "revised," were bound in a single volume.

I guess I hadn't realized Tim carried our copy of Hardee. I know he hasn't in the last year or so. I'll need to talk to him about that.

Eric
                      Eric J. Mink
                      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Goetzels came in two volumns. The first two editions were somewhat larger in size, softcover and the first edition did not have the Revisions made by Hardee. Those show up in the second edition. The second edition has the plates at the size of the smaller volumn. The third edition is the smaller size and it was hard back. The best part is the plate in the front where Hardee talked about revising his tactics to reflect the type of arms in the hands of the confederate soldier.

I bought my reprints (Vol I & II) at Franklin several years ago though I do not remember from whom.

George Susat
                        George Susat
                        Confederate Guard

Comment

Working...
                        X