Trouser stripe(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouser stripe(s)

Hopefully this hasn't already been brought up in the past, I tried to search the topic.

I was thumbing through the Union EOG, and on pg 102 noticed something interesting. There is a picture of Gen Sedgwick's staff, and the Captain seated in the center, in front of the doorway, seems to have two thin trouser stripes of the left leg (the only one visible).

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this before, or am I seeing things?
    Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
    49th Ohio
    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Re: Trouser stripe(s)

If I remember correctly, pre-war regulations called for a welt made of the branch color to be worn down the seam of Officers trousers legs. Perhaps this welt (or piping) is this thin stripe you saw in the image?
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

It appears to me, to look like it is two stipes, one on each side of the seam. His trousers are kersey with these dark blue stipes. Just looked odd.
      Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
      49th Ohio
      Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, there are two narrow stripes, perhaps 1/4 inch wide. (Nice plug hat too...)

IMHO, as evidenced by Period images, since officers purchased their own clothing- there is a "latitide" when it comes to how strict to Regulations, how much slack a commanding officer might look the other way over, how much access an officer had to tailors and clothiers at different times and places, and how much personal taste an officer wished to pay for to make a personal "fashion" statement.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

And on a broader level...

Many pairs of CS trousers featured stripes. Some were on the front side of the outer leg seam and others were on the back side of it. Some were narrow and others were broad. The "Portraits of Conflict" series (among other books containing a fair number of images) shows quite a number of trousers with stripes. I recall "Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown" (authored by an AC member) giving voice to this as well.

My two cents,
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Working...
          X