Painting tin in a period fashion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting tin in a period fashion...

I have quite a few reproduction tin sconces (see attached) made by Virginia Metalcraft (out of Williamsburg) that date to the 1960s.

My question is this...

Currently, what is the best period paint on the market today that would be suitable for painting these pieces (I'm considering black)?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM.

Re: Painting tin in a period fashion...

Black tinware I believe would typically be japanned. Here's one thread I recall on the subject which shed more heat than light, but might have something helpful.

You could also check the search engine here to see if there's anything on japanning.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

Go to Liberty on the Hudson's website for your japanning:

It's good stuff, I don't know of any other sources.

Actually, Virginia Metalcrafters was located in Waynesboro, Va. in the Shenandoah Valley and recently closed down. Don't know what Colonial Williamsburg is doing these days, but Va. Metalcrafters had been working with them for at least 50 years. All of their cast brass and apparently some of their tinware came from Waynesboro.

No baking is required and was not "in the day" either.
      Thomas Pare Hern
      Co. A, 4th Virginia
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by ACo. View Post
        Actually, Virginia Metalcrafters was located in Waynesboro, Va. in the Shenandoah Valley and recently closed down. Don't know what Colonial Williamsburg is doing these days, but Va. Metalcrafters had been working with them for at least 50 years. All of their cast brass and apparently some of their tinware came from Waynesboro.
        Wow, thanks for the FYI, Tom...that's good to know.

Also, I greatly appreciate the link...that's exactly what I needed!

Comment

Note: Virginia Metalcrafters closed down, because they realized it was cheaper to import products from overseas as opposed to making it themselves...We were working on a field trip to see their facility in my College Mechanical Eng. Manufacturing class...but had to cancel it because they had stopped production by 2005.

Paul B.
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Thanks for giving out the correct date Stonewall_Greyfox, when you start getting old time goes by quicker than you think.... When they closed down they put a lot of good people out of work.

WoodenNutmeg, hope you have good results, I have been happy with it. Don't try to rush the process.
            Thomas Pare Hern
            Co. A, 4th Virginia
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
              Note: Virginia Metalcrafters closed down, because they realized it was cheaper to import products from overseas as opposed to making it themselves...We were working on a field trip to see their facility in my College Mechanical Eng. Manufacturing class...but had to cancel it because they had stopped production by 2005.
              Wow, even more interesting but yet very disappointing to hear.

I consider myself lucky then to be in possession of some of these finer pieces from Virgina Metalcrafters' heyday.

There are some real quality craftsmen still out there, working in the old traditions, but with each passing year I do notice the imports growing in quantity; very disappointing indeed.

Comment

WoodenNutmeg, hope you have good results, I have been happy with it. Don't try to rush the process.
                From what I have been reading on the substance, that's the best advice I can get.

Comment

Working...
                X