Images by Wendell Decker from New Hope church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images by Wendell Decker from New Hope church

These images were all made by Wendell Decker on Sunday, 1 June, at the conclusion of the New Hope Church Event which took place at the Battle of Picket's Mill Site in Georgia.

Needless to say, if Wendell does leave the hobby, we'll lose a true master of his craft.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: Images by Wendell Decker from New Hope church

Those are fantastic Mr. Hicks, looks like you kept him busy for a while, thats great!

Kaelin Vernon
    Kaelin R. Vernon
    SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Wendall is NOT leaving the hobby, I talked with him this evening. He will be at Parkers Crossroads next weekend.
      -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
      "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
      "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
      "The Bully Boys"
      "The Hard Case Boys"
      "The Independant Mess"
      29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
      3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

This meets my "mind's eye" exactly. That is it.

Amazing.

If / when I can look like that it would open up the possibilites....this really motivates me.

Thanks for sharing..I would put this up for condsideration for a cover shot.

Comment

I think my unit kept him busy at resaca.just about everybody had a photo done by him.
          Brian Maddox
          37th Tn Co H

Comment

Brian,you're a drama queen.Good photos,though.
            Cullen Smith
            South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by 37thtenn View Post
              I think my unit kept him busy at resaca.just about everybody had a photo done by him.
              Same with my unit.

So, is it true someone was shot and yet another snake-bit at Pickett's mill?
              Jessa Hawthorne
              Un-Reconstructed string band / Hardee's Guard Battalion Civilian Society

Comment

He's lucky the Feds didn't have access to him. I'm sure every one of the pioneers would have gotten an image of the group together or performing duties.
                Mark Krausz
                William L. Campbell
                Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                Old Northwest Volunteers
                Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Brian, I agree with the other fella, I would definately put #3 up for consideration for the AC cover. It just looks awesome, and we don't see alot of Western Confederate photos thrown out for consideration. Are those Co. B La. boys in the shot as well ? Some of the Tater Mess ?
                  Eric N. Harley-Brown
                  Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Originally posted by tenfed1861 View Post
                    Brian,you're a drama queen.Good photos,though.
                    No... I consider my self more of an Ambro-Whore (well....actually Ferrotype Whore this past weekend) :D
                    Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post

..I would put this up for condsideration for a cover shot.
                      Good suggestion, but I'm afraid there might be another civilian image thrown out there, which... if recent trends continues, will win out over the Military images. :p
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Mtn.Guerilla View Post
                        .... Are those Co. B La. boys in the shot as well ? Some of the Tater Mess ?

Yes... those fellas are from the Tater Mess.

If you'll notice, one of the fellas is reaching around his pards side and snatching food from his plate, while ther rest of us are posing for the photographer!
                        Brian Hicks
                        Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Southernlady1862 View Post
                          So, is it true someone was shot and yet another snake-bit at Pickett's mill?
                          The answer, supposedly, is "yes".

Though seeing neither event, word came through the grapevine that a Confederate was bitten by a snake while building breastworks. There was disagreement over whether it was a copperhead or some non-poisonous snake. I've heard no further information on the gentleman's status.

Word also came down after an emergency bugle call (Taps was used that weekend to signal a medical emergency rather than "lights out") that a Federal bugler had discharged a pistol stuck into his belt. It supposedly left a goodly sized burn through his clothing. No addtional information on that one, either.

The remainder of us seemed to survive the heat, ticks, scorpions and snakes without undue effect.

We do need to come up with a more efficient way of getting water, though.

I got to put a few more faces to names. That in itself was worthwhile.
                          Bernard Biederman
                          30th OVI
                          Co. B
                          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                          Outpost III

Comment

Both men are fine. The snake was a small copperhead and the emergency plan worked extremely well to get the bitten man out and to emergency care quickly. The pistol wound happened at the beginning of the event just as the Federals were marching out. Again he was quickly tended too.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Well I'm Glad you all enjoy my work. I hope I never see the day when I have to quit. Times are hard on all of us. I spoke with a VERY well known Collodion artist that told me he was down to 3, or 4 events a year.

This is what I was born to do. I've never done anything so rewarding, but each weekend is a gamble anymore. I have lost so much this year that I am taking a risk of going to any event.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for being there and allowing me TO BE THERE. I WOULDN'T BE HERE AT ALL, IF IT WEREN'T FOR ALL OF YOU. I try to prove that in my work. That's why I throw images on the ground. I won't sell you something, I wouldn't be proud to own.

One day I'd love to fill a book with such images.

Take care of the day

Wendell R. Decker
                              of
                              Vintage Image Studios
                              Wendell R. Decker

Comment

Working...
                              X