• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Images by Wendell Decker from New Hope church

Brian,
    You sure do have a pretty tie.

Comment

"We do need to come up with a more efficient way of getting water, though."

Bernie,

The reason getting water was so slow was because 1) the organizers didn't want everyone dipping their canteens into the "wells" because of funking the water up. See comments about Pickett's Mill '01 for this. 2) The cups and buckets that were used were supposed to recreate the amount of time it took to have a large body of soldiers to fill up at wells. It was annoying, but it makes you think what happened to the boys back then when trying to get their canteens filled at wells.

No one in my company suffered from lack of water. We just had to plan the fill ups when we weren't doing a 500 yard dash courtesy of the Billys :p
      These reasons came from the Horse's Mouth himself, Senor Corbin so that's why.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Brian,

And besides the tie, you look like a Field Commander.

Comment

Someone had a image struck early Sat. morning of the 32nd AL in the road waiting. Has anyone seen it or posted it? Would like to see how it turned out.
          Jacob Hill
          Independent Rifles

Comment

I thought that the whole water process really added to the experience, and worked remarkably well-I am qualified to make this statementa as I went on NINE canteen runs!(teach me to be a smarta@@ to my section SGT!) No one got the two step, the water was quite tasty and cleaner than any other alternative, and cool. I enjoyed the process. I think I'll go get some water...
            -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
            "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
            "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
            "The Bully Boys"
            "The Hard Case Boys"
            "The Independant Mess"
            29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
            3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Brian,

That photo shoot probably cost you a small fortune, or equaled your gas cost to get to the Mill.

Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              24th Missouri Infantry
              Independent Volunteer Battalion
              www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Brian, you can quit your day job...er, come back out of retirement. You have what the other 50 or so Lee impersonators lack - you actually look, talk and comport like a CW general. Course that means you may have to attend some events that are...well, lacking in authentic backdrop, but I bet the pay is good and perks ditto :D

Great photo - crop that baby and you are on the cover!!
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Don't those photos just scream "I am a battalion commander!!!". Just what the WIG is looking for in 2009.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                  [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                  [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Wendel is a true master of his art...

Pickett's Mill:

"A Hard Day's Fight..." by photographic artist Wendell Decker

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

PS- This is exactly how I felt after the event... tired, proud, worn, content...:)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-09-2008, 05:24 PM.
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them. I'm also with putting the third one up for the AC cover. It'll get my vote.
                      Scott M. Bryant

Comment

Damn, Johnny, just......damn.

I think that sums up the event for everyone who went.
                        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                        WIG/GVB
                        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Hill View Post
                          Someone had a image struck early Sat. morning of the 32nd AL in the road waiting. Has anyone seen it or posted it? Would like to see how it turned out.
                          That one is in Wendell's personal collection (one of the few that he has). Maybe he'll put it up for your viewing enjoyment!
                          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                          WIG/GVB
                          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Originally posted by C.R. Henderson View Post
                            Damn, Johnny, just......damn.

I think that sums up the event for everyone who went.

Yeah, Chris, no acting involved... just natural feeling captured on camera. LOL ;)

Cheers- Johnny
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                            SCAR
                            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                              Brian, you can quit your day job...er, come back out of retirement. You have what the other 50 or so Lee impersonators lack - you actually look, talk and comport like a CW general. Course that means you may have to attend some events that are...well, lacking in authentic backdrop, but I bet the pay is good and perks ditto :D

Great photo - crop that baby and you are on the cover!!
                              You know, it's De'ja Vu that you say that..... when Wendell was agitating the image of me as the Conf. Officer sitting with the sword, he literally did a double take and stated that as the image started to come out, for just a moment, he thought he was looking at a picture of R. E. Lee.
                              Brian Hicks
                              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Strawfoot View Post
                                Brian,

That photo shoot probably cost you a small fortune, or equaled your gas cost to get to the Mill.

Mike Phineas
                                Arlington, TX
                                Mike,

This hobby is the vice for which I spent the previous life indentured to Uncle Sam to be able to afford. :) Yeah... it was a pretty penny to have all of those made, and I'll gladly spend it over. Unfortunately these were all made after the event ended, and there was no one else around. The Tater Mess was kind enough to participate in one image before they started their long drive back. I prefer to have images made which have multiple folks in them (re: the image I put out for the cover two months ago.. the one taken at Duffield a few years ago, or the image of the Officers and staff at Granger, or the camp at the return to Ranks event).
                                Brian Hicks
                                Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Working...
                                X