Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Equipment

Hi,

I have been wondering about this for some time, what would be the avarage soldiers knowledge of the equipment issued to him? Meaning if he was issued a Isaac and Campbell knapsack did he know it was a Isaac and Campbell knapsack or was it just a English knapsack. Would these soldiers know what depot their clothing and equipment was made at? Such as a soldier from the Army of Tennessee, would he have known that alot of his clothing was made by Columbus Depot, or would a soldier from Virginia know that most of his clothing was made at Richmond Depot? Thanks.
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Civil War Equipment

Hallo!

Long answer....
    No.

:)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have read several Confederate letters noting the issue of good English shoes.

In Letters for a Gaston Ranger (NC), a letter home notes that several blankets were being sent home, and the "NC blanket" being sent belonged to some else, who's relative should come pick it up.

During an anniversary tour at G-burg, the tour guide (I believe it was Scott Hartwig) quoted a Confederate soldier from Georgia who said "recieved State jackets"

Certainly if one was issued a I&C knapsack, the makers mark gave the source away.

These are few instances that are off the top of my head. I believe CW soldiers knew where some stuff came from, but most probably didnt care.
      [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
        X