Slab Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slab Bacon

Hello to all, I was just wondering what everyone is paying for slab bacon to use as salt pork. I just ordered some and it was expensive (at least I thought)
    Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Re: Slab Bacon

Im not sure of prices but was wonderign where you ordered yours from ?
    Travis Franklin
    "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
    4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Kenton,

You can pay more. You can pay less. This is typically the benchmark for mail order:

Scott Hams has bacon
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Out here in PA, I went to my local butcher a few weeks back and paid about $4.50/lb. This website has been thrown up here before, and the price actually looks pretty decent, but you'd have to factor in S&H.

The gaming industry is growing rapidly, so it is almost impossible to keep track of all the new products and upcoming releases. But ScottHams.com comes to the rescue.
        Matt Lovejoy

Comment

Wow, the stuff at http://www.scotthams.com/index.php?m...ist&GroupsId=3 is a lot less expensive, I ordered 2 pounds at 7 or 8 dollars a pound, then again it was special order, they normally don't sell it. I'll have to order from scotthams next time around. Thanks for the information...
          Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Comment

How about a cask of English bacon ?

London Star - May 8, 1863

"The steamer Gladiator,which sailed from Liverpool last week, took on board 1,500 barrels of bread and 1,045 casks of bacon. The Gladiator cleared for Nassau, but there is but little doubt that her cargo is destined for a Confederate port."

The Daily Dispatch
            October 31, 1864

Steamers arrived.

Two vessels lately arrived at a Confederate port; one having, as a portion of its freight, two hundred and fifty thousand pounds of English bacon, and the other two hundred thousand, for the use of the Confederate army.
            Last edited by OldKingCrow; 06-10-2008, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
              How about a cask of English bacon ?
              I'll have to dig out my account from the Institute (Virginia Military Institute) importing "Nassau Bacon", "English Pickled Beef" and "Red Potatoes".
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I am just wondering, why is slab bacon so similar to salt pork? I always knew that slab bacon was similar, but I never knew why.
                David Fictum,
                Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

Originally posted by davidf View Post
                  I am just wondering, why is slab bacon so similar to salt pork? I always knew that slab bacon was similar, but I never knew why.

Do a search there is plenty here on hawg products

My exp is that salt pork or the modern version thereof is brine cured (sodium /nitrite based) and slab bacon, aside from being anatomically different cuts swine wise, is dry cured with sodium and smoke.

With respect to English Bacon, I have consumed bacon in the UK and parts of formerly English colonized Africa and India...it is different than what we eat in the US.

I wonder if noticeably different and how it was for a Johnny in a trench perhaps in Petersburg in 1864 ?

Comment

I am not sure where they got the bacon for Pickett's Mill a couple of weeks ago,but that stuff was good.Try and e-mail they about it.
                    Cullen Smith
                    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Anyone know a good place to get slab bacon in southeast Kentucky?
                      Chad Wrinn

Comment

Originally posted by davidf View Post
                        I am just wondering, why is slab bacon so similar to salt pork?
                        David,

It isn't.

By the way, if you are looking at the Hormel one-pound chunks of "bacon" and "salt pork" in the specialty meat gondola in Kenny's Market in G'burg, well, that's not what you want, although both will do in a pinch if they are the last thing on Earth you can possibly find. Virginia Mescher's article about salt pork is worth reading. It may or may not be in the Veranda, but it was one of those "WOW!" articles that would hit the Watchdog every once in a great while.

Pennsylvania has about as many butcher shops as Maryland has liquor stores, so you may have better luck checking with these local meat shops:

BUCHER MEATS

391 Tillie Town Rd 334-3575
                        Biglerville, PA 17307-9552

BUTCHER BLOCK

3055 Biglerville Rd 677-7977
                        Biglerville, PA 17307-9219

CHAPEL-RIDGE FARMS

680 Barlow Greenmount Rd 334-5684
                        Gettysburg, PA 17325-8709

CHAPEL-RIDGE MEAT & MERCANTILE

5 Chapel Ridge Rd 334-4222
                        Gettysburg, PA 17325-8669

SHRIVERS MEATS

16436 Four Points Bridge Rd (301) 447-2255
                        Emmitsburg, MD

SHUFF’S MEAT MARKET

12247 Baugher Rd (301) 271-2231
                        Thurmont, MD 21788-2333

We used to have a great source for slab bacon in the form of Hemp's Meats in Jefferson, but they no longer carry smoked slab bacon. I guess I was the only customer who used to buy 2oo-300 pounds at a pop. Sigh.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Go to the British Isles today and order "bacon" with your English Breakfast and you'll get a cut of meat we in the States would call exactly "Virginia salt-cured country ham"... I got this every time I had breakfast in Scotland, Ireland, and England.

... IMHO, I would feel this would be true even 140+ years ago.

And boy is it good over there too... ;)

-Johnny Lloyd
                          Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-10-2008, 05:18 PM.
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

The traditional English "fry up". Put a cardiologist on speed dial.

I previously posted a period account of 450,000 lbs worth being imported in two (combined) blockade ran instances. Lets assume 1/4 or so is accurate.... less the newspaper hype.

That's alot of ham-baconie goodness when handed to a starving ol boy been living in the dirt at the End Game. 3rd Quarter 64 who you rushing these provisions to ? Contemplation of historical pork hypotheticals is a sickness.

Comment

This slab bacon from Virginia Traditions is pretty good facsimile! You can order directly from the website:

http://virginiatraditions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_078B

It's very good, right out of the smokehouse slab bacon. They deliver right to your door via FedEx!
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X