Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account of 1878 reunion and sham-battle in Centerville, IA

I thought this was pretty interesting:

The article regarding the "reenactment" starts about half way down the first page. The header states that it is a section out of "The History of Appanoose County" but I don't know if it is from a larger piece of work, nor do I know the publishing date.
    James E. Boyle, Jr.

Re: Account of 1878 reunion and sham-battle in Centerville, IA

Sounds comparable to many 'lower standard' events that I've participated in over the last 11 years.....
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Thanks James for a very interesting post. I think that they had reenactments in the period before the Civil War and very obviously right after the Civil War. In her book Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe has certain characters quite excited about going and seeing a reenactment of a battle (she never says which one). I sometimes wonder how old the reenacting of battles is in the US.

Andrew Schultz
      Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Seems a shamed that the one poor fellow survived the war intact only to lose his hand and forearm at the sham battle ramming an artillery cartridge home. It goes to show that the artillery was just as dangerous then as now!
        [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
        Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
        Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
        Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
        The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hello

My family is from Centerville Iowa which is in Appanosse county, part of the 8th Iowa was raised there of which my great great uncle served. Every libaray in Iowa has a copy of the book it is about the size of high school year book maybe a little thicker printed in the 40's or 50's can't remmber right off the top of my head. It would be a good tool for aiding in first person if one was working on one from the area. My Great Great Grandfather and Grandmother's painting is printed in the back and he is quoted as saying " I'm not a son of the sod " which means I'm not Irish and we assume that's when that part of the family that moved west from Penn. droped the "D" off Ireland makeing it Irelan which by the way is English through and through.
          [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="5"]Jasper Massey.
          [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Christopher Irelan.
          CFC.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

That whole story would make a very interesting scenario for a GAR event. However I would want to protray the poor fella who lost his arm. I have always heard that CW vets did reenactments themselves but it was a real treat reading about a documented case. I wonder how common these "sham" battles were.

RM
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Working...
            X