Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter from war: Sebring Vannortwick writes home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from war: Sebring Vannortwick writes home.

I transcribed the letter my mother has that was written by my great-great grandfather, Sebring VanNortwick of Co. "E", 75th NY Volunteer Infantry. Here is the transcription, including his own misspellings, run-on sentences, and grammar. Interestingly enough, his handwriting is pretty decent...

"Camp Reno Brashear City

March 11th 1863

Dear Sister it is with pleasure that I take my pen in hand to inform everyone that I take my pen in hand to write you a few lines to let you know that I am gd hope that these few lines will find you the same. Brother Frank is well. I received your letter yesterday bearing date of feb. 22th. I was glad to hear from you & to hear that you was well & in Joying yourself as well this you must be very steady this winter evry of the partys when they are so numerous. I think that if I was their I would try and go to as much as are there to see how it would seem. I would think that the would would come to an end double quick. You wanted to know what made me look so mad you know that a soldier has a good caus to look mad. A soldier has to be sober when he is in the ranks & if he so happens as to smiles they send him to the guard house so you see that it stands us in hand to look sober. I have been been a soldier so long that it has become second nature for me to look sober. If I am not home before long you will be afraid of me when I come I will look so mad. You won’t know Frank when he comes home for all of his face will be covered with whiskers. That mustack that you speke about has got quite a start he is quite a deal the oldest as much as five years. Tell Uncle Wier that I am a cleaning up my gun I have just come off of guard & my gun is some rusty. Tell him not to when he is a sleep by the stove the next time you write he must not dreem so loud that the flees on Santa Rosy Island heard him & had the guard travel out they thought that the Rebels was a coming. Tell Uncle & Aunt that they must write to me I would be very glad to read a letter from them. Give my best wishes to them & all of the rest of the folks. I think the folks are in ahurry to get married in that part of the country. If the girls are not all gone when I get back I will try my luck in marrying if they are all gone I will will come back here there is aplenty of them here and to spare. I think that you are about to step off by the way you talk it is the way the girls all talk. We all may take what they say right conterrerey to what they say. Want you to let me know in time to come to the weding. The Farmersville boys are all well. You must write as soon as you get this. The fruit trees are all in bloom it is like May at home. The birds are a singing as sweet as if their was no war. The planters are a plowing and are all ready for planting. We have got our barrel it was all as nice as it could be the express had been paid as far as NY. Their it was to come in Quartermaster Tompkins but it did come all of the way by express so you see that it cost some thing but that was most eny thing. We are all in good health.

Good bye

Sebring Vannortwick"
    Last edited by Dutchman Dick; 06-14-2008, 10:47 PM.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Scanned images

Here are scans of the original letter and envelope. The letter is written on patriotic stationary with an embossed image of General McClellan, with the general's name and the motto "His Country's Hope":

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Commemerative poem (more scanned images)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Sebring's pension receipt

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

75th NY Volunteer Infantry: a short history

75th Regiment Infantry "2nd Auburn Regiment"

Organized at Auburn, N. Y, and mustered in November 26, 1861. Left State for Florida December 6, 1861, arriving at Santa Rosa Island, Fla., December 15. Duty there and at Fort Pickens, Fla., until May, 1862. Attached to District of Santa Rosa Island, Dept. of Florida, to February, 1862. District of Santa Rosa Island, Fla., Dept. of the Gulf, to March, 1862. Western District of Florida, Dept. of the South, to August, 1862. Pensacola, Fla.:, Division of West Florida, Dept. of the Gulf, to September, 1862. Weitzel's Reserve Brigade, Dept. of the Gulf, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to July, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps, to October, 1863. Unassigned, Cavalry Division, Dept. of the Gulf, to December, 1863. 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, Dept. of the Gulf, to June, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, to July, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division, to January, 1865. 1st Brigade, Grover's Division, District of Savannah, Ga., Dept. of the South, to March, 1865. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 10th Army Corps, to May, 1865. District of Savannah, Ga., Dept. of the South, to August, 1865.

SERVICE.--Bombardment of Forts McRae and Barrancas, Pensacola Harbor, Fla., January 1, 1862. Occupation of Pensacola, Fla., May 10, and duty there until August. Fair Oaks, Fla., May 28. Moved to New Orleans, La., August, arriving there August 9. Duty at Carrollton until October. Operations in District of La-Fourche October 24-November 6. Occupation of Donaldsonville October 25. Action at Georgia Landing, near Labadieville, and at Thibodeauxville October 28. Duty in the District of LaFourche until February, 1863. Expedition to Bayou Teche January 12-15. Bayou Teche January 13. Steamer "Cotton" January 14. Operations against Port Hudson March 7-27. Duty at Brashear City until April. Operations in Western Louisiana April 9-May 14. Expedition from Brashear City to Opelousas April 11-20. Fort Bisland April 12-13. Jeanerette, Irish Bend, April 14. Bayou Vermillion April 17. Opelousas April 20. Expedition to Alexandria and Simsport May 5-18. Boyce's Bridge, Cotile Bayou, May 14 (Detachment). Siege of Port Hudson May 25-July 9. Assaults on Port Hudson May 27 and June 14. Surrender of Port Hudson July 9. Donaldsonville, Bayou LaFourche, July 12-13. At Baton Rouge August 1-September 3. Sabine Pass Expedition September 4-11. Sabine Pass September 8. Moved from Algiers to Brashear City September 17. Regiment changed to Mounted Infantry October. Western Louisiana Campaign October 3-November 30. Vermillion Bayou October 9-10. Near New Iberia November 19. Camp Pratt November 20. Camp Lewis December 3. Regiment veteranize January 1, 1864. Veterans on furlough January to April, then at Washington, D.C., 22nd Army Corps, as Infantry, April 2 to May 20; then moved to Dept. of the Gulf and rejoin Regiment June 28. Non-Veterans attached to 14th New York Cavalry until June 28, 1864, participating in the Red River Campaign March 10-May 22. Advance from Franklin to Alexandria March 14-26. Bayou Rapides March 20. Henderson's Hill March 21. Monett's Ferry and Cloutiersville March 29-30. Natchitoches March 31. Crump's Hill April 2. Wilson's Farm April 7. Bayou de Paul, Carroll's Mill, April 8. Pleasant Hill April 9. Natchitoches April 20. About Cloutiersville April 21-22. Monett's Ferry, Cane River Crossing, April 23. Above Alexandria April 28. Hudnot's Plantation May 1. Alexandria May 4-8. Retreat to Morganza May 13-20. Choctaw Bayou May 13-14. Avoyelle's Prairie May 15. Mansura May 16. Yellow Bayou May 17-18. Sailed for Fortress Monroe, Va., July 13. Before Richmond July 21-30. Deep Bottom July 27-29. Moved to Washington, D.C., July 31. Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Halltown August 23-24. Berryville September 3-4. Battle of Winchester September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty in the Shenandoah Valley until January, 1865. Ordered to Savannah, Ga., January 11, 1865, and provost duty there until August. Mustered out August 23, 1865.
          Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 91 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 103 Enlisted men by disease. Total 198.

http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unnyinf6.htm#75

Comment

Re: Letter from war: Sebring Vannortwick writes home.

Thanks for taking the time to share the letter that was fantastic..
            thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

Outstanding! I don't know if that "poetical sketch" was meant to be set to music, but it hums fairly well to the tune of "I'm a Good Ol' Rebel." As far fetched as that may seem...try it.

I may have missed this point in the reading, but where is dear Sebring laid to rest?
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                Outstanding! I don't know if that "poetical sketch" was meant to be set to music, but it hums fairly well to the tune of "I'm a Good Ol' Rebel." As far fetched as that may seem...try it.
                I never heard that tune before. Can you link me to it somehow?

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                I may have missed this point in the reading, but where is dear Sebring laid to rest?
                My guess would be that he's buried somewhere in the vicinity of Grand Rapids, Michigan. That's where he settled down and raised his family after the war. One of his children was my grandmother's mother (on my mother's side), Myrtle VanDerWerff, nee Van Nortwick. All of my Mother's family, it seems, originally came from New York and moved to Michigan. One branch of the family, the Starrs, I believe are related to Ebenezer T. Starr, of Civil War revolver and carbine fame. They were certainly from the right part of New York, according to my grandmother, but unfortunately nobody on that side of my family keeps good enough track of geneaology to be sure (I DO know that big band leader Johnny Mercer IS a distant relative, on my mother's father's side...but that's another story AND another era.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman Dick View Post
                  I never heard that tune before. Can you link me to it somehow?
                  You'd also know it as "Joe Bowers." A quick online search will yield a number of the older "Lyrics & Midi File" sites, as well as a cornucopia of YouTube sites. The latter may be more amusing than educational. ;)
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

My guess would be that he's buried somewhere in the vicinity of Grand Rapids, Michigan. That's where he settled down and raised his family after the war. One of his children was my grandmother's mother (on my mother's side), Myrtle VanDerWerff, nee Van Nortwick. All of my Mother's family, it seems, originally came from New York and moved to Michigan. One branch of the family, the Starrs, I believe are related to Ebenezer T. Starr, of Civil War revolver and carbine fame. They were certainly from the right part of New York, according to my grandmother, but unfortunately nobody on that side of my family keeps good enough track of geneaology to be sure (I DO know that big band leader Johnny Mercer IS a distant relative, on my mother's father's side...but that's another story AND another era.)

Richard,

According to our (Sons of Union Veterans) Graves Registration Database, he is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Grand Rapids, MI

Best regards,
                    Matt Adair
                    Battery D, 1st MI LA
                    Gov. Crapo Camp#145
                    Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
                    Matt Adair

Comment

Originally posted by mladair View Post
                      Richard,

According to our (Sons of Union Veterans) Graves Registration Database, he is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Grand Rapids, MI

Best regards,
                      Matt Adair
                      Battery D, 1st MI LA
                      Gov. Crapo Camp#145
                      Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
                      Thanks! I have other family members in the Grand Rapids area, so maybe some time when I'm down-state visiting I will go and check it out, and maybe get a rubbing off his tomb stone.

Comment

Thanks! I have other family members in the Grand Rapids area, so maybe some time when I'm down-state visiting I will go and check it out, and maybe get a rubbing off his tomb stone.
                        Talked to my grandmother (Sebring's grand-daughter) recently. Interestingly enough, Sebring was caretaker for Greenwood Cemetery, where he is currently buried. He even built a rock wall for the cemetery, which is apparently still there. I still haven't located his war photo, but my mother has a picture of Sebring in his later years, with his wife (still don't know her name), and my great-grandparents (Sebring's daughter, Myrtle, and my great-grandfather, Andrew VanDerWerff; they were married in 1916). According to my grandmother, Sebring died before she was born (which was in 1932). Unfortunately, it wasn't a peaceful death. It seems that one winter in Grand Rapids, the old soldier slipped on some ice and fell under the wheels of a moving street-car.

Requiescat in pace, Sebring.

Comment

Working...
                        X