Gettysburg image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettysburg image

I was reading this article and the quote below made me think about the picture of three Gettysburg prisioners. With the below in mind, I'm off to study that very picture.

A Fire Zouave recalled seeing the captured southerners milling about "picking up haversacks and canteen and blankets" that littered the area preparatory to being shipped off to Federal Prisoner of war camps
    http://ehistory.osu.edu/uscw/feature...gettysburg.cfm
    Thaddaeus Dolzall
    Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Re: Gettysburg image

Sir, I'm enjoying this site very much as it seems to have alot to offer. You should check the forum "search feature", type "Gettysburg prisoners", this should get you some good looks at these guys and more. Thanks again and enjoy.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Re: Gettysburg image

I have in the past focused on reviewing information from confederates sources about...confederates. However, recently I have focused on finding information from Union soldiers, surgeons, and burial details. As an example, one union soldier performing burial detail at Gettysburg mentions that the confederates had cut the pocket linings out of the pants of union dead, and as normal, shoes and socks.

Now, if they did not have the means to mend a hole in a pocket, how in the heck were they going to sew on a new one. Maybe making the pocket deeper, reinforced heal for socks, make a buck by selling them or?
      Thaddaeus Dolzall
      Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Comment

Working...
      X