Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• candy or sweets

Just wondering,
    what candy was popular during the civil war.I know the peppermint stick,and from what i have been told the necco candy was around then.anything else?
    Brian Maddox
    37th Tn Co H

Re: candy or sweets

This has been discussed before, but fiddle with the search engine with the word 'candy' if you so feel inclined:

There was a nice article on this topic in CWH last year. Someone on here could help you with which edition contained it. It has great research with references and some recepies for period-style candy.

Also, Necco wafers were manufactured by the "New England Confectionary Company" (http://www.necco.com/OurBrands/Default.asp?BrandID=7) under the name "Necco" postwar according to that same CWH article. The period-correct term for the same candy would be Chase wafers (after the man that invented the candy prewar) or "Peerless wafers".

Basically, the candy was the exact same as today except without "necco" embossed on them. Get the 'necco' off of the durn things if you can and you're good for an event.

Personally, I use peppermint sugar-stick candy or homemade lemon drops (not like the ones in packaged form today- no sugar on them and not in the shape of a lemon) at events if the impression calls for care packages, items purchased from a sutler, goods found in a period home, etc.

To my knowledge, no one ever got issued candy in their rations during the war...

-Johnny
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

rock candy and other hard sugar candies, maple surgar candy,
      licorice and anise, Turkish Delights, Marzipane (sp), and varying
      types of chocolate confections & boiled sweets. Whitman's chocolate
      debutes around 1854 (not the "sampler, that wasn't until later).
      Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
      -Cezanne

Comment

Deborah Hyland has done a lot of research on candies of the period. For the past two events at Boonefield Village, Defiance, MO. she was proprietress of a wonderful period candy shop and general mercantile:tounge_sm I would take a wild guess that she had for sale well of 20 different types of sweets. I can't begin to remember all the names.....chocolates with liquer were mmmmarrveeeelllous :)....mint candies in the colors of white, green, and pink...chocolates usually called "haystacks".??? the specialty is a small cup and saucer formed of a soft jelly sweet of some sort.

Perhaps Deborah could post futher info on the candies she has found in her research.

The good news is, Deborah is making plans to have her candy shop and mercantile open for business at the Athens ';08 event this Aug.

Regards
        Vivian Murphy

Comment

thanks for the info.
          Brian Maddox
          37th Tn Co H

Comment

Depending on availablity and the weather, I stock the following in my confectionery (more familiar modern names follow):

Barberries, dried
            Barley sugar candy
            Blackjacks (molasses stick candy)
            Braided candy (stick candy in clove, etc.)
            Burnt nuts (french burnt peanuts)
            Cigars, sugar
            Cordial drops (soft centered hard candies)
            Corn candy (popcorn balls)
            Creme drops
            Ginger, candied
            Groundnut candy (peanut brittle)
            Gum Arabic drops (gum drops)
            Humbugs, mint (mint puffs)
            Lemon drops
            Marchpane (marzipan)
            Nonpareils
            Nougat (turron)
            Peerless wafers (necco)
            Pontefract cakes (licorice)
            Raisins
            Rock candy
            Salem Gibralters, lemon & mint
            Sassafras drops
            Sugared almonds, chocolate
            Sugared almonds, smooth (jordan almonds)
            Sultanas (golden raisins)
            Tamarind, candied
            Tea cakes, ginger
            Tea cakes, molasses
            Turkish delight, rose

Medicinals:
            Brenton’s cough candy compound (horehound drops, boxed w/ period leaflet)
            Chase’s lozenges, peppermint (canada mints)
            Chase’s lozenges, spearmint (canada mints)
            Chase’s lozenges, wintergreen (canada mints)
            Horehound drops
            Licorice stick (root licorice)

With the exception of the corn candy, I generally stick to items which would have been commercially available, rather than items one would make at home.

I found Virginia Mescher's article in CWH invaluable, but have also found extensive listings and advertisements in period newspapers. I'm currently reading Wendy Woolson's Refined Tastes: Sugar, Confectionery, and Consumers in Nineteenth-Century America , which you may find useful.

For those of you in the St. Louis area, I'll be presenting a talk on nineteenth-century candies as part of a fundraiser for the Fairfax House on July 5th.
            Last edited by Deborah Hyland; 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM. Reason: to remove the one incorrect candy b/c I just knew if I made an actual list I was sure to be wrong on at least one thing :)
            Regards,
            Deborah Hyland
            dance mistress

Comment

Brian,

Civl War Historian Vol 2 issue 5.

Back issues are available.
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah Hyland View Post
                Depending on availablity and the weather, I stock the following in my confectionery (more familiar modern names follow):

Brandy drops (chocolates filled w/ brandy)

I found Virginia Mescher's article in CWH invaluable, but have also found extensive listings and advertisements in period newspapers.
                Deborah's candy list was very good and should be helpful to those studying period candies.

Period brandy drops were not like our modern chocolate cordials filled with brandy. They were hard sugar candy balls.

A great period confectionery book is the Complete Confectioner by Eleanor Parkinson (1864) which is online at Feeding of America at http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/...oks/index.html

I'm glad that others have found the Civil War Historian article helpful and that there are back issues available. It was fun to research and write and is calorie free as long as you don't eat the research products.

Unfortunately, in the final editing over half of list of candies in the glossary were deleted from the article. I had originally included 69 candy types in the glossary and only 31 were in the printed article. That led to some confusion when the article first came out since some of the deleted items were referenced to in the article. I have tried to clear up any confusion to those who have contacted me privately and in an addendum that appeared in a later issue.
                Virginia Mescher
                vmescher@vt.edu
                http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Runyon View Post
                  Brian,

Civl War Historian Vol 2 issue 5.

Back issues are available.
                  Shameless plugs--- priceless!:D
                  Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                  WIG/GVB
                  In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Virginia,

Your tea article in CWH Vol 4, Issue 4 is most excellent! At least what I've been able to skim.

Now, to pry this freshly arrived magazine from Bev's fingers....
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                      Virginia,

Your tea article in CWH Vol 4, Issue 4 is most excellent! At least what I've been able to skim.

Now, to pry this freshly arrived magazine from Bev's fingers....
                      I'm glad you liked it so far. I hope you get a chance to do more than skim it once you pry it out of Bev's fingers.

I tried to make it of interest to everyone and alleviate some of the confusion that surrounds tea terms and the types of tea available in the 19th century. I know it's a little thing but little things add up for a complete impression.
                      Virginia Mescher
                      vmescher@vt.edu
                      http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Working...
                      X