Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball

This seems a good spot to put this one . . does anyone have any good links to sites or ideas on period baseball? I belive it was a popular past-time? Also does anyone do/make/or have ideas on correct balls to use? (pardon my french!). Just for a 'knock about' after hours but with the intent of working it into our living history repetoire for daytime . ..
    Ed Wilson
    Co.A, 19th IND (UK)
    The Hairy-feet Mess

Re: Baseball

I could be wrong, but I believe Orchard Hill Sutlery has a baseball kit directed to baseball in the Civil War era. You may want to see what they have. They are listed above in the list of approved vendors.
    Micah Trent
    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Many thanks for that . .not a Sutlers ive seen before but definately worth a look! . .hmmm thats about 16 quid for the ball alone . .i may fit a tracking device to it just in case!
      Ed Wilson
      Co.A, 19th IND (UK)
      The Hairy-feet Mess

Comment

Hello Ed,

Do a google search on "rounders or townball" and you'll find some info. If I'm not mistaken the game of baseball was called townball back in the day.

regards
        Ron Myzie

Comment

Here is a great teaser site, gives lots of info, but found it left me wanting more. They sell Balls too.

History of baseball emphasizing 19th century origins of the game. Includes photos and information on the history of the game, field, equipment, rules, leagues, players and legacy. Links to baseball history sources amd vintage baseball teams of today.

Enjoy!
          Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
          Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
          5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Sir -

Check out the Vintage Base Ball Association website at http://wiki.vbba.org/ . In addition to basic information about the game, they also have a links page with numerous manufacturers/vendors of period base ball equipment. I'm particularly partial to Phoenix Bats from Columbus, OH. Lefty Trudeau makes an incredible product.

The Ohio Village Muffins (Columbus, OH) were the first vintage base ball club in the country. Their website can be found at http://www.ohiovillagemuffins.org/ .
            Greg Forquer
            1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
            30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

Ed...

Another source for 19th-century baseball equipment is K&P Weaver: http://members.aol.com/kpweaver/

Ken Weaver also published an article on turning a period baseball bat in the July 2005 issue of Woodcraft Magazine (Vol. 1, No.4).

A.J.
              A.J. Hamler

Comment

Check out the "Baseball" group on here. There are some great images posted! I know I posted one of a wartime infantry unit/baseball team.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                X