Traces of the Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traces of the Trade

I was at the premier of this documentary and I hope you will find it as thought provoking as I did. It is about one family's history of their ancestors being slave traders, not just slave owners.

Traces of the Trade: A Story From the Deep North, which airs tonight at 10 on PBS
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS Company C
    Potomac Legion

Re: Traces of the Trade

Marc,

This was ninety minutes of my life I will never get back. While I appreciated the story of how much of the United States was connected with the slave trade, it was accompanied by gallons of white liberal guilt.

Ironically, this film traded on massive stereotypes of whites, as perpetuated by the whites themselves.
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Marc,

I simply don't have the time to watch anything produced and/or shown on PBS.
      Tim Kindred
      Medical Mess
      Solar Star Lodge #14
      Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
        Marc,

This was ninety minutes of my life I will never get back. While I appreciated the story of how much of the United States was connected with the slave trade, it was accompanied by gallons of white liberal guilt.

Ironically, this film traded on massive stereotypes of whites, as perpetuated by the whites themselves.
        Rob,

Amen, I sat through it and now wounder why.
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Andy Wash[/FONT]

Comment

I couldn't watch it all. I couldn't stand her monotone voice. It seemed they had some other baggage; it seemed less they were upset about being involved in the slave trade and more that they were Northerns involved in the slave trade.
          Annette Bethke
          Austin TX
          Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
          [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

It would have been nice to know whether any of their family served in the Civil War.

The discussion of reparations was abhorent. They took pains to mention that their current family's wealth (if any) came from the railroad industry, not slaves. Yet while they lacked the resources to pay reparations, didn't have any problems advocating the payment of reparations by the rest of the country.

I hate folks who won't pay their own way, but are perfectly willing to spend other people's money.
            Last edited by JustRob; 06-25-2008, 01:17 PM.
            Robert Carter
            69th NYSV, Co. A
            justrobnj@gmail.com
            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Thanks for the replies....just wanted to know if others had the same feelings about the documentary I did and you did.

It is a strange family and except for the one brother or cousin..all went to Ivy League type schools and appear wealthy enough.
              Marc Riddell
              1st Minnesota Co D
              2nd USSS Company C
              Potomac Legion

Comment

Working...
              X