Amount of Cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of Cartridges

I was wondering how many blanks one should have on hand for a 3 day event such as At High Tide. I am in fear of not having enough. So what is the average amount carried? 60, 100, 200? Well I guess taking an early hit is always an option. :D
    Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Re: Amount of Cartridges

I'd encourage you to contact one of the event coordinators. At most events of the Tier 1 category, the standard issue (i.e 40 rds in the box and on occasion an additional 20 in the knapsack) have become the routine load. But for these Chris Anders events, the expectation may be different.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

We're talking a two day event with three scenarios. Each soldier will be recycled into battle at least once in the daytime ones.. I would honestly go for at least 60 to 80.
      Robert Carter
      69th NYSV, Co. A
      justrobnj@gmail.com
      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Just had an e-mail from my unit and they want 100 cartridges for the weekend.
        yours,
        Dirk Behana
        6th Louisiana
        Dirk Behana
        26th North Carolina
        Shocker Mess, Hedgesville Blues
        C.W.T.
        Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site
        King Solomon's Lodge #346 F.&A.M.
        Pioneer Lodge of Ohio (Reenactor Masonic Lodge)

Comment

Three battles, three cartridges! More people sould be taking hits early on! Or better yet... NONE! Why dirty the gun for one shot. Here is a thought, offer to carry extra rounds in your box for the powder burners to rummage for more amo since your not shooting your gun anyway.
          Brad Ireland
          Old Line Mess
          4th VA CO. A
          SWB

Comment

Knowing my own rate-of-fire from Pickett's Mill...

I think I'll shoot about 60 the whole weekend in two battles... -Johnny
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hi,

Depending on the amount of battles at the reenactment I bring between 70-250.
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                Hi,

Depending on the amount of battles at the reenactment I bring between 70-250.

70-250?..... you are a one man army :wink_smil

And here I felt bad for firing more than a half dozen rounds at any given event out west for a two day span.
                Last edited by western reb; 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM. Reason: editing
                [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

Hi,

I burn almost a full cartridge box every battle that I am in, so I bring alot of cartridges to events. I think the most that I have ever fired at a event was Stand of Colors; where I fired around 175 rounds during the two day event.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                    Hi,

I burn almost a full cartridge box every battle that I am in, so I bring alot of cartridges to events. I think the most that I have ever fired at a event was Stand of Colors; where I fired around 175 rounds during the two day event.
                    Lol, sounds like you need to die quicker/more often! You'll use less powder that way.

I am, &c.

Ian Hutchison
                    -----------------------

I am, &c.

Ian Hutchison

Comment

Or better yet... NONE! Why dirty the gun for one shot.
                      A man after my own heart. Give me a rubber rifle so it won't get damaged when I throw it down to run faster.

More seriously, contact your coordinator. Better to bring too many than not enough. Gotta spend your carbon credits. ;)
                      GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                      High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

All,
                        I fired less than 30 rounds AHT. Getting the gun dirty is one issue but burning your hands sucks. I fire a few and when i'm ready, down I go. Of course after you've laid there in the hot sun for 20 minutes, burning your hands doesn't sound so bad. Take your pick; its all about your comfort level.
                        My best Regards,
                        Kevin Schoepfel
                        140th NYVI

Comment

the amount of rounds needed is going to vary.

Yes we as a hobby do not take enough hits, so really you could bring a few and take hits early and often.

Or consider the action that you will be seeing. I am with the Western Brigade. We spent the weekend at Stand of Colors in forward camp. 2nd Company 1st Platoon was engaged most of the weekend. (outside of the the scripted battles) I Shot 90 rounds for the weekend having brought 100. But 2nd Company 2nd Platoon hardly saw a Johnny all weekend (outside of the scripted battles). Contributing to my high volume of power burned is that fact that my company was deployed as skirmishers - firing at will - during the scripted battles.

At High Tide, between the two battles i burned about 50 rounds. Almost forty the first day because we did a lot of Fire by File.

Suffice to say,
                          1) Check with the organizers or those in leadership in your organizations.
                          2) How will you be engaged? Does your company often get called for skirmish duty? Or will you be in a forward camp? If not, and your engagements will be limited to the planned battles you may only need 60-90 rounds for a weekend (figuring 20-30 rounds per engagement).
                          3) There is nothing wrong with bringing extra rounds and sharing or bringing the extra home; it is just a matter how much extra 'junk' do you want to have to carry.

Hope this helps
                          -Nathan
                          [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
                          1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Working...
                          X