Iron conservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron conservation

Does anyone have experience with conserving small iron battlefield relics? I have just purchased a single iron ball from a charge of cannister at a visitor's center in Winchester, VA. The ball has some rust on its surface, so obviously it has not been stablized. Would such a small item need a galvanic type bath, or can it be protected with, say, some light oil? I also see in many museums which display iron projectiles that many seem to have a painted or varnished appearance. What is this coating, and is it something one can do themselves?
    Tom Mandrackie
    Private, 6th OVI
    4th Bttn. N.J. Vols.
    Brigade of the American Revolution

Re: Iron conservation

If you has run the search for this subject, cannonball conservation, or electrolysis, you would have come up with this thread.

A search function is a turrble thing to waste.
    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
    WIG/GVB
    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I did run this heading as a search and got no hits. Didn't think of using "cannonball" in the title. Thanks for the thread link, though.
      Tom Mandrackie
      Private, 6th OVI
      4th Bttn. N.J. Vols.

Comment

The link has some valuable info. Thanks Chris for bringing that up. It sounds like the item in your possession has some surface rust and that is the extent of it - is that correct? If so I wouldn't do too much to it. Electrolysis can be very effective, but like all chemical treatments it should be done under certain conditions and could potentially take more of the metal off than you want. I would recommend a light mechanical cleaning followed with some oil. The coating you see on many museum displays, particuarily older exhibits, is wax. This is not a practice that is done to any great extent today and requires heating the metal prior to application. Good luck,
        Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
        [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Garnett,

Yes, the surface is pitted, and rust is in the pits. Nothing terrible, which is why I was wondering if something as radical as electrolytic action was necessary.
          Tom Mandrackie
          Private, 6th OVI
          4th Bttn. N.J. Vols.

Comment

Unless the iron came from a salt swamp or other ground where it was exposed to chlorides, wire brush it to clean off the loose rust and if you don't like the way it looks spray some satin finish varnish on it. That is all you have to do. I have numerous cannister balls of all sizes and have never found it necessary to do electrolysis on any of them.

Now if you can find a way to prevent accumulation of dust I am all ears.
            Attached Files
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I usually save electrolysis for larger iron objects. There a couple of different avenues you could approach. Depending on how "rusted" the cansiter ball is, if it is not that much, I would lightly run a Dremmel tool over it getting the surface rust off (be careful not to apply too much pressure). Then I would spray a coat of Extend (can be found at most hardware stores), let it dry, then spray again. If you really want to go the electrolysis route, you will need a battery charger, water, plastic bucket, a stainless steel bolt or similiar object, and some dish washing detergent. PM me for details as to how to operate. Iron restoration is one of the easiest and gratifying metals to work with. Hope this helps.

Paul Arnold
              Swampeast Missouri
              Dexter Lodge #532
              Paul Arnold

Comment

Working...
              X