Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excerpts from the Fremantle diary.

Hi all,

I'm currently reading the Fremantle diary and have decided to post some excerpts that might be insightful for those of us trying to improve our confederate impression.

I've tried to include the date and the unit from each excerpt.

3rd May 1863,

(Pyron's regiment, Texas. I believe they were dismounted cavalry)
    First came eight or ten instruments braying discordantly, then an enormous Confederate flag, followed by about four hundred men moving by fours—dressed in every variety of costume, and armed with every variety of weapon; about sixty had Enfield rifles; the remainder carried shotguns (fowling pieces,) carbines, or long rifles of a peculiar and antiquated manufacture. None had swords or bayonets—all had six shooters and bowie-knives. The men were a fine, determined looking lot; and I saw among them a short stout boy of fourteen, who had served through the Arizona campaign.

1st June 1863,

(General Liddell's brigade)
    Before the marching past of the brigade, many of the soldiers had taken off their coats and marched past the general in their shirt sleeves, on account of the warmth. Most of them were armed with Enfield rifles captured from the enemy. Many, however, had lost or thrown away their bayonets, which they don't appear to value properly, as they assert that they have never met any Yankees who would wait for that weapon. I expressed a desire to see them form square, but it appeared they were “not drilled to such a manœuvre” (except square two deep.) They said the country did not admit of cavalry charges, even if the Yankee cavalry had stomach to attempt it.

2nd June 1863,

The soldiers on sentry at General Polk's quarters this afternoon were deficient both of shoes and stockings. These were the first barefooted soldiers I had yet seen in the Confederacy.

The remainder of the 51st Alabama were mounted and drawn up to receive Colonel Grenfell on our return from the outposts. They were uniformly armed with long rifles and revolvers, but without sabres, and they were a fine body of young men. Their horses were in much better condition than might have been expected, considering the scanty food and hard duty they had had to put up with for the last five months, without shelter of any kind, except the trees.

22nd June 1863,

The soldiers of this division (Pender's division) are a remarkably fine body of men, and look quite seasoned and ready for any work. Their clothing is serviceable, so also are their boots; but there is the usual utter absence of uniformity as to color and shape of their garments and hats: gray of all shades, and brown clothing, with felt hats predominate. The Confederate troops are now entirely armed with excellent rifles, mostly Enfields. When they first turned out they were in the habit of wearing numerous revolvers and bowie-knives. General Lee is said to have mildly remarked: “Gentlemen, I think you will find an Enfield rifle, a bayonet, and sixty rounds of ammunition, as much as you can conveniently carry in the way of arms.” They laughed, and thought they knew better; but the six-shooters and bowie-knives gradually disappeared; and now none are to be seen among the infantry.

I found the lines about bayonets and shoes most interesting. You can always hear from any of the uninitiated professing to know anything about the Civil War that the confederacy had shoe shortages but Fremantle seems quite suprised at the sight.

Also, bowie knives and revolvers mostly gone by this period.

I am, &c.

Ian Hutchison
    Last edited by Turbografx; 06-29-2008, 04:48 PM.
    -----------------------

I am, &c.

Ian Hutchison
Working...
X