Uniform ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform ID

Does anyone have any records from the 25th Virginia Volunteer Cavalry (company G)? Our local museum has a uniform from a soldier in this outfit. He was killed July 24th 1864 at the 2nd Battle of Kernstown (winchester, VA) and it was told by the family that this uniform was in his personal belongings returned to them upon his death (details here are a little vague). My reasoning for the post....the uniform does NOT appear to be a typical RD set. The trousers appear to be the RD pattern, but the jacket is a 6 piece body, two piece sleeve, 6 botton front, made from cassimere. I should add that both seem to match perfectly and the trousers have black stripes up the side (probably an inch wide made from what appears to be 100% wool kersey). It has a diagonal welt exterior pocket on the left breast. The lining is a heavy cotton and a thinner loose weaver was used in the sleeves. This lining is strange as it is whip stitched to the facing however, the lining is very small (there is probably 8 inches on both sides that the lining does not cover). There are no eppaulets or belt loops. His unit, as far as I can tell, was ANV throughout their existance (under Early). What could this jacket be?
    I wish I could post images, but the curator didn't like the idea of me taking pics.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Uniform ID

Sounds like it's a commutation jacket.The black stripes down the side sounds like it would be of a private purchase manner.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

HE,HE,HE,HE......... Said Commutation Jacket! OH NO IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD.

Just kidding Cullen.:)
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

This is a one that may be elusive. Six piece body and two piece sleeves were wildly popular for privately procured jackets and then obviously was used additionally for the RD pattern jackets. The fabric is consistent with one of the many types purchased by the central government. The six button count is the same as the Greer jacket, which many call an RD, but others still question for what it is worth.
        If this is indeed the suit he was wearing when he was killed, then privately procured items are not out of the question, but central government issue would be quite possible as well. What was the source for the information for the museum? What was his financial standing? Did he leave any other documents or items? Can the family be contacted and have they kept up with their past?
        By the way, are there any buttons remaining on the jacket?
        Luke, thanks for sharing this finding. Sounds like it’ll be a fun path for you to follow for a while.
        Pat Brown

Comment

Originally posted by brown View Post
          If this is indeed the suit he was wearing when he was killed, then privately procured items are not out of the question, but central government issue would be quite possible as well. What was the source for the information for the museum? What was his financial standing? Did he leave any other documents or items? Can the family be contacted and have they kept up with their past?
          By the way, are there any buttons remaining on the jacket?
          Luke, thanks for sharing this finding. Sounds like it’ll be a fun path for you to follow for a while.
          Glad to be getting good responses. I had thought maybe commutation but the machine button holes threw me off. If the uniform was what he was wearing when he was killed...there are no blood stains or holes (other than one small one in the knee and one on the inside of the neck). The uniform is in Excellent shape! The family (and my research tracking his unit) is the only source. Here's the story. He was killed in Winchester. The lady that brought in the uniform said that the bodies were stacked in a basement. His family was notified and was told that he had some "things on his person" that the CS government would return to them. His things sounded to me like it was a federal double bag knapsack containing a bible, sanitary items, and about a dollar (lady called it a backpack that had two parts) and a "purse that smelled like a dead chicken" (no idea but guessing it was a haversack). she does not have these items...her brother kept them and she doesn't know what he did with them. The uniform was part of this shipment. It sounded a little strange to me that in '64 the CS government would ship a perfectly good uniform home to the folks. She's remembering the story from when she was a little girl so...up for grabs. The family had the body moved from Winchester to here (where he was born). The curator didn't want me to photograph at all....I may could of pushed it, but I didn't want to wear out my welcome...he's good about letting me go into the archives room at my leisure! Suprisingly, only one button is missing. They are a black rubber with a star on them. At first glance, it looks just like an RD III only with an outside pocket similar to the generic 4-button. His family was small middle class farmers from a poor county (lee) in VA.
          Thanks again for the replies...and keep them coming...This one has me still has me stumped!
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
            but the machine button holes threw me off.
            Are you sure the buttonholes are machine sewn? Checking the backside of a well sewn buttonhole is the dead give away; a handsewn buttonhole should be at the very least a little less than perfect on the back. A machine sewn hole with be consistent on the back. Machine sewn buttonholes would make me call the entire story into question, and would send me down another path all together.
            Pat Brown

Comment

I thought the same thing! It doesn't make sense that the button holes are machined but the top stitching is hand. They are TINY! I got a magnifying glass and examined them carefully...they are all exactly the same distance apart...lenght is not so exact but we figured they were slightly (and I mean slightly) distorted due to shrinkage. Anytime I put a button hole in cassimere or jean, I had to use slightly larger stitches than say in kersey wool or broadcloth. Compared it to a federal frock....and the reb jacket actually has slightly smaller, tighter stitches than the frock. This on top of the 58th jacket I am researching is keeping me busy this summer haha!
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

On the advice from Levi Brown I went back and paid extra detail to the back of the button holes. I have changed my opinion and they ARE hand done. It was beyond my belief that button holes could be done so tight and small by hand. Is this a normal trend? I'm telling you, these button holes at first glance appear as tight as modern machine....could such care and talent point toward a private seamstress instead of a depot?
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

More insight into the life of the soldier. He was of course under Jackson during the first part of the war and continued with the ANV unit throughout his involvement. He did not have this uniform on when killed as an inquiry into the donator revealed that she has the jacket he was wearing when hit (sounds like and probably is an RD II). He shipped something home in mid '62 according to the donator...she cannot remember if this was the uniform or the knapsack. Could be an early war commutation...the biggest obsticle is that it's in very good shape. Would it be common in mid '62 for a soldier to replace a perfectly good jacket?

Mr. Brown, if you're ever coming through the area let me know a couple of days in advance and I can arrange for you to view this uniform!
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                  X