Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger Emmanuel Dabney and Dale Beasley -Petersburg Military Park

The message below was posted by request of Dale Beasley -

On a return Medical Evac Mission from Ft A.P. HIll to Ft Lee, Virginia, I stopped my troops at Petersburg Military Park, for a Staff Ride. While there "Luck" had it that Ranger Emmanuel Dabney was working.

He gave us a great tour and alot of my troops walked away with a greater appriciation of history and what contributions Ranger Dabney is making.
    J. M. Wesson Lodge #317
    Attached Files
    Jim Kindred

Re: Ranger Emmanuel Dabney and Dale Beasley -Petersburg Military Park

You indeed were very lucky. Mr. Dabney knows his stuff. I am sure you had a 5 star tour.
    Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Re: Ranger Emmanuel Dabney and Dale Beasley -Petersburg Military Park;

Jim,
      Thanks for posting this for me. For some reason I could not download it from my AKO website.

Abner was great!

Comment

Hot dang Dale... that is you, sir! HA! Never seen you in uniform!

I saw Mr. Dabney on the History Channel speaking about Petersburg and he is certainly an intelligent man when it comes to history.

-Johnny Lloyd
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Em does know his history and especially the Petersburg Area. Always a pleasure to be at an event with him.
          Marc Riddell
          1st Minnesota Co D
          2nd USSS Company C
          Potomac Legion

Comment

To All:

You know sometimes the stars are in-line. A bit more of the story...I command a Preventive Medicine Unit from New Orleans, LA, we were sent to Virginia to support a Fuel BN. When we got to FT A.P. Hill we not only found ourselves over Preventive Medicine, we found ourselves over all medicine. So, we were working with FT Lee on Medical Support. During the trips to Fredricksburg and Petersburg I was forcing my soldiers to take "Staff Rides" to historical places. My wife asked me to get it out of my system becasue she and the kids will not go to another battlefield...so I was forcing my "other-kids" ..my soldiers to go.

We pulled the convoy into the parking lot of Petersburg National Battlefiled. I walked into the vistor center and asked for Abner, and the Ranger inside asked me "what bussiness I had with him"...I just smiled and said "let me start over"

Anyway, my solders of African Decent were completely taken with Abner, and did not stop talking about it till the next day...and that was such a good thing. I am glad all my soldiers "took-away" a good thing.

And the beat goes on....
            Last edited by Dale Beasley; 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Again my profuse thanks to those compliments from all.

The Civil War, that which we like to portray, is to me THE event that shaped and shapes us. Certainly, not to discredit any other war as important but I think we forget in our desires to get the right uniform and the right musket and the right corset and the best blanket that the people who fought this war were much like ourselves. They were guided in their actions by their religion (or lack thereof), their upbringing, their culture and society and they shaped a lot of their thoughts and understandings based on race, class, and gender. The Petersburg Campaign as a whole highlights humanities abilities to be courageous, brave, spiteful, bitter, friendly, and racist. We forget sometimes that the Civil War involved PEOPLE and that we need to capture these people not only in the positive moments but also their negative moments. It does not necessarily discredit anyone but this has been one of many people's thoughts as to why people think history is boring. It's not just about dead generals and something that happened 140+ years ago but rather stories about those generals, line officers, NCOs, and privates; women and children; those who were enslaved and free; those black, white, American Indian, of Asian descent, Hispanic who lived during this period.

Again, I appreciate those comments as they continue to encourage me to continue telling the story of the war as it affected the Petersburg area, Virginia, and the nation as a whole.
              Sincerely,
              Emmanuel Dabney
              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
              http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Dabney View Post
                Again my profuse thanks to those compliments from all.

The Civil War, that which we like to portray, is to me THE event that shaped and shapes us. Certainly, not to discredit any other war as important but I think we forget in our desires to get the right uniform and the right musket and the right corset and the best blanket that the people who fought this war were much like ourselves. They were guided in their actions by their religion (or lack thereof), their upbringing, their culture and society and they shaped a lot of their thoughts and understandings based on race, class, and gender. The Petersburg Campaign as a whole highlights humanities abilities to be courageous, brave, spiteful, bitter, friendly, and racist. We forget sometimes that the Civil War involved PEOPLE and that we need to capture these people not only in the positive moments but also their negative moments. It does not necessarily discredit anyone but this has been one of many people's thoughts as to why people think history is boring. It's not just about dead generals and something that happened 140+ years ago but rather stories about those generals, line officers, NCOs, and privates; women and children; those who were enslaved and free; those black, white, American Indian, of Asian descent, Hispanic who lived during this period.

Again, I appreciate those comments as they continue to encourage me to continue telling the story of the war as it affected the Petersburg area, Virginia, and the nation as a whole.

This is what I am talking about...it was such a great "Take-Away" day. My soldiers and I had a very good talk that afternoon following our tour. We all agreed that there were battles within battles that day at Petersburg. Who we are today as an "ARMY of ONE" did not start that day but was fueled by that day. And today we are the greatest Army that this world has ever seen because of days like that. And it is important to remember where we came from, becasue it reminds us how far we have to go.

I hope you all have enjoyed this thread, becasue this is one of the "take-aways" that the staff of the AC provides us.

Comment

That's great. Thanks for sharing this.

I have family in Virginia and we will be leaving for a visit in 1 week. I will try to swing by as it sounds like an interesting addition to our visit to the great state of Virginia.

Not to mention how beautiful the country is there.
                  [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Abel Watts[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
                  A Federal veteran so instructed new recruits in musket drill
                  It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns[/FONT]

Comment

There is some great country to see in Northern Virginia. It is all so very rich in history...for sure see where Stonewall died near Boiling Green and for sure see General Lees boyhood home... and let Ranger Dabney give you a tour...worth every min of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X