This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For All You Hockey Fans

Cruising the NHL website and came across another Ken Hitchcock Civil War article. Thought some of you might enjoy it. Go Flyers!
    The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.
    Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
    John Brizzay Mess
    SkillyGalee Mess
    http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Re: For All You Hockey Fans

Awesome post, thanks. Its really cool that they named Columbus the Blue Jackets.
    He sounds like a farb! ;-)

Kevin W
    Kevin Whitehead

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I cruse the NHL website every day and somehow managed to miss that artical. Who knew? Ken Hitchcock, manager and civil war nerd! Thanks.... Go Wings!

Respectfully....
      Sean Collicott
      Your humble servant....
      Sean Collicott
      [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
      [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Thanks for posting this. As a hockey fan I have always respected Hitchcocks approach to the game. His teams have always been well coached, disciplined, and hard working. At this stage of his invovement in the hobby though, he sounds like a farb. Maybe he needs to be invited to a better event and he can be coached as to what hardcore really means; TENTS...SHEEESH!

GO WINGS!
        David Parent

The Cracker Mess
        MLK Mess
        Black Hat Boys
        WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

I posted an article about Hitch a few years ago when he was coaching the Flyers about his involvement in the hobby. I would love to meet him even if he is a farb.
          Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
          John Brizzay Mess
          SkillyGalee Mess
          http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

No doubt one of the better coaches in the NHL. His best work was with the Stars. He seems to have the Blue Jackets on the right track. Who knows but with the right nudge he will come to the dark side, and leave farbdom.

Respectfully....
            Sean Collicott
            Your humble servant....
            Sean Collicott
            [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
            [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

"I am not involved like the Americans from the emotional issue, but from the social issue I enjoy it. It is a great chance to go back in time and look at things from a different perspective. I know talking to people who are reliving history and I think there are some real valuable lessons for everybody."

I like what he says here, especially the first part. The war is over. Deal with it

Go... um... I'm starting to like what the Rangers did in the off-season, and Dallas is pretty good, so one of those two, until the Leafs get back on track
              Andrew Donovan
              Michigan

I think many of us get nostalgic about the past and like to think somehow that the world our mid-19th century ancestors lived in was free from many of the "sins" of our present world. Truth is, the more you study the past the more you realize that there's really nothing new under the sun. They struggled with many (most) of the same problems we do today.
              -Ian McWherter

Comment

Originally posted by BishopLynch View Post
                I posted an article about Hitch a few years ago when he was coaching the Flyers about his involvement in the hobby. I would love to meet him even if he is a farb.
                He is a farb, just like the rest of the Flyers!!!:tounge_sm

GO PENS!!!!!

Eric Esser
                The Liberty Rifles A living history organization that honors the common fighting men and home-front civilians on both sides of the American Civil War.

Eric Esser

[I]Liberty Rifles
                [url]www.libertyrifles.org[/url]
                Gettysburg College Hockey
                [url]www.gettysburghockey.com[/url][/I]

Comment

Totally unrelated side comment, but it seems most who have posted on this thread are from Michigan. Must have somrething to do with Hockeytown. Go Wings!
                  ~ Chris Hubbard
                  Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                  [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I'm a Bluejackets season ticket holder and optomistic that the Jackets will be a little tougher team to play this season. They have a pretty cool pregame that highlights the Civil War tie in. Also there is a cannon they fire after each BlueJacket goal. It rocks the arena when they fire it. There is a Q&A session coming up with Hitch and the GM next week for ticket holders maybe I'll ask him abut his enacting. I personaly really like what he is doing in Columbus. He tells it like it is and expects effort to the bitter end from the team.

Tim Welch
                    L.D.Haning and Co.
                    Tim Welch

Comment

Real cute,

I don't guess the late Jesse Helms was a War Between the States enthusiast though. Really, what does hockey have to do with anything here? Did they have hockey in the mid-19th century?
                      Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                      16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                      Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Tim,

You might want to be careful with the cannon inside. The Whalers used to play a song at an unbelievable level each time they scored in the '80's. After awhile, the "mall's" roof caved in under the weight of snow. Some stories had the roof being compromised by the vibrations the loud music caused on the supports.

Go CANES!!!
                        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by luthhaning View Post
                          I'm a Bluejackets season ticket holder and optomistic that the Jackets will be a little tougher team to play this season. They have a pretty cool pregame that highlights the Civil War tie in. Also there is a cannon they fire after each BlueJacket goal. It rocks the arena when they fire it. There is a Q&A session coming up with Hitch and the GM next week for ticket holders maybe I'll ask him abut his enacting. I personaly really like what he is doing in Columbus. He tells it like it is and expects effort to the bitter end from the team.

Tim Welch
                          L.D.Haning and Co.
                          Tim -

Had the opportunity to talk a little reenacting with Coach Hitchcock shortly after his arrival in town. I went up to an open practice a couple of days after Christmas that year and was able to get a few minutes chatting with him. He really is an enthusiast and is well-studied.

Originally posted by dusty27 View Post
                          Tim,

You might want to be careful with the cannon inside. The Whalers used to play a song at an unbelievable level each time they scored in the '80's. After awhile, the "mall's" roof caved in under the weight of snow. Some stories had the roof being compromised by the vibrations the loud music caused on the supports.

Go CANES!!!
                          Dusty -

The "cannon" is a stainless steel tube on a wooden carriage with a lovely stained finish. It is a glorified prop that "fires" a pyrotechnic charge (there is a plexiglass shield forward of the muzzle). The actual noise comes from what is either an electically-fired .410 signal cannon or carbide cannon that is up in the rafters over section 217 (my section) and is synced with the gun. The great disappointment comes where it's been billed as an "exact replica" of an 1857 Light 12 pounder. Not even close. I would have liked to have seen some research on their part. They could have gone a few blocks to the southeast and gotten the specs directly from one of our Napoleons at the Statehouse.

Originally posted by rebjeb04 View Post
                          Real cute,

I don't guess the late Jesse Helms was a War Between the States enthusiast though. Really, what does hockey have to do with anything here? Did they have hockey in the mid-19th century?
                          Away with you, Infidel. I would refer you to the following sites:

This year's Cup final was the worst possible nightmare for me, my Pens vs. my Wings. Looking at the transactions so far, it's going to be an interesting season.
                          Greg Forquer
                          1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
                          30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

Hockey ended for me when my Whalers left for the southron lands. :cry_smile
                            Shawn Callahan
                            14th CVI Co G

Comment

Originally posted by rebjeb04 View Post
                              Real cute,

Suprisingly they did. Hockey, or "shinny" as it was called then was entering its very primative stages as early as the 1830's, being played in shoes on frozen rivers. It was more like lacross on ice. Around the 1850's, the first ice skates were produced. It was nothing more than a blade, sometimes two, with leather straps to connect it to the shoe. The first profesional hockey team was founded in Michigan sometime in the late 1870's. By the 1880's, various leagues began to be found all across the US and Canada and by the late 1880's, the NHA, the precursor of the NHL was well established.

I own a hockey stick from the 1890's. There used to be a really nice history exhibit in the Livonia, MI Perani's hockey store, with artifacts going back to the 1850's. I don't know if it's still there.

So, yeah, hockey, in one form or another was definatley around in the mid-19th Century
                              Andrew Donovan
                              Michigan

I think many of us get nostalgic about the past and like to think somehow that the world our mid-19th century ancestors lived in was free from many of the "sins" of our present world. Truth is, the more you study the past the more you realize that there's really nothing new under the sun. They struggled with many (most) of the same problems we do today.
                              -Ian McWherter

Comment

Working...
                              X