Manassas Park Entry fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manassas Park Entry fee

I am guessing this is probably false, but I thought I would check it out with you all first.
    At work (I work at Staples in Gettysburg), a couple people who work there who use to live in Virginia recently told me about how they are charging $65 to enter the park since the spring. They say there are big signs saying this, and that this is being done because the new administration of the park is not supported enough by their tax base to upkeep the park.
    Now, I knew right from beginning that this sounded like pure junk. If this were really true, I would have heard an uproar by someone in the Civil War/reenacting community. I checked their website, and while their website hasn't been updated recently, it still says it costs only $3 for a pass that will last $3 days. The closest thing I saw that matched that $65 was this National Park Pass for $50.
    First, I hope someone can verify this news is false, and second, what could both these people possibly be seeing that they are mistaking for a entry fee.

Honestly, who would charge $65 to get on a battlefield like Manassas? It costs $65 just to get into some theme parks, and you can't compare a theme park to a battlefield in terms that both would be in demand in the same way that both required a entry fee like that. Also, if the Park service wants to keep people coming to the park, then a fee like that would be counter productive (there are better ways to raise money for "maintenance").
    David Fictum,
    Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
    recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Re: Manassas Park Entry fee

David,

I just called the park and it is the $3 that the website says. No mention of $65 price tag.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

My guess is they're actually referring to Colonial Williamsburg, and that like most Americans, they're quite sure that Robert E. Lee led the United States to victory in World War II against the British to free the slaves after George Washington signed the Declaration of Independence.

I live near the Historic Triangle and have done several CW living histories where people have commented that we sure were a long way from England.
      John Christiansen
      SGLHA
      PLHA

Comment

I just visited Manassas a few days ago and it cost three bucks. Three more if you want to see the movie.

Bye the way, have you seen the statue of Jackson at that place?

Brian Wiswell
        Brian Wiswell

Comment

Their book store is first class as well...

Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          24th Missouri Infantry
          Independent Volunteer Battalion
          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

ah, good. Maybe they are confusing it with Williamsburg, or they are confusing the National Park Pass. Well, next time I see them, I will have to tell them that they must have mis read. But how do two people (and I am thinking other people at work think the same way) get the same idea?
            David Fictum,

Comment

David,

I'm sure you know the saying great minds think alike...well the inverse is true as well.
              Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Originally posted by Reenactor7thtenn View Post
                David,

I'm sure you know the saying great minds think alike...well the inverse is true as well.
                LOL! Well said. :)
                Ron Mueller
                Illinois
                New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I was there last month as well. $3.00 to get in, I think $5.00 for a family. I think there was some kind of "Friends of Manassas" membership sort of thing, which may be where the $65 comes from.
                  Tom Mandrackie
                  Private, 6th OVI
                  4th Bttn. N.J. Vols.
                  Brigade of the American Revolution

Comment

That sounds like it could possibly be it. I looked on their website though, and I didn't see the number 65. Man, that bugs me that I can't figure out where this rumor/misinterpretation is coming from.
                    David Fictum,

Comment

Originally posted by jchristiansen View Post
                      My guess is they're actually referring to Colonial Williamsburg, and that like most Americans, they're quite sure that Robert E. Lee led the United States to victory in World War II against the British to free the slaves after George Washington signed the Declaration of Independence.

I live near the Historic Triangle and have done several CW living histories where people have commented that we sure were a long way from England.
                      PLEASE tell me you're joking about Williamsburg! I enjoyed going there with my parents when I was a grade-school kid, and I want to take my kids there when they're old enough to appreciate it. But $65 to get in??? That's OUTRAGEOUS!!!:(
                      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

CW pricing

Day Passes / General Admission

Includes:

Historic Area - Access to as many as 20 to 40 Historic Area buildings and exhibits (depending on season and operating schedules), such as the Capitol, Raleigh Tavern, Great Hopes Plantation, all historic trades sites (wheelwright, blacksmith, silversmith, milliner, wigmaker, etc.), all gardens, and all original 18th-century exhibition sites (the Courthouse, Gaol, Magazine, and the homes of Peyton Randolph and George Wythe), along with admission to Revolutionary City®. Check Colonial Williamsburg This Week for openings. Also includes Capitol tour, orientation tour, regular daytime programs*, and viewing of the movie classic Williamsburg—The Story of a Patriot. Plus, free parking at the Visitor Center and use of Historic Area shuttle buses.
                        Museums of Colonial Williamsburg - Entry to Bassett Hall, the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum, and the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum.
                        Capital City Pass

Adults $37
                        Youths Ages 6-17 $18
                        + $6 - Add the Governor's Palace Tour (approx. 40 min.)
                        Palace/Capital City Pass

Adults $43
                        Youths Ages 6-17 $21
                        + $6 - Add a full second day to the Palace / Capital City Pass
                        Governor's Key-to-the-City Pass

Adults $49 - Purchase in advance and save 10%- Internet Price: $44.10
                        Youths Ages 6-17 $24 - Purchase in advance and save - Internet Price: $22.05
                        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Not Colonial Williamsburg (as so aptly illustrated by Dusty above), nor the general park admission, nor even Friends of Manassas, where the cost is $25 to join that organization.

Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

ERK!!! :( I'd hate to see what it will cost in 9-11 years, when I figure my kids will be old enough to enjoy it (that's how old I was when I went). What a gyp! I mean, I know they need money to keep up the restorations and preservation, but why can't the state foot part of the bill? It IS their history they'd be preserving, after all!
                            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                            X