Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kibbler Knapsacks

Luke,
    The reason the inside of the bag is not painted is because it is patterned off of an original that did not have the inside painted. The Kibbler knapsack is different from the Mexican war knapsack in this way.

I have owned a Missouri Boot and Shoe Mex War knapsack, a TMD Mex War knapsack and had the opportunity to purchase one second hand that LD Hanning produced. All are wonderful knapsacks as Ross has mentioned, but this forum has lost the basis it was founded on and that is HEAVY individual research of primary sources to determine the answer YOURSELF. There are HUNDREDS of articles out there to help along the way, and if the article was written in a half decent manor it should have a work cited page that SHOULD lead to some primary sources (if it is a clothing reference it should lead to a soldiers letter/journal etc- if it is an article about an original piece of clothing or equiment some reference to the collection is included etc.)

My point to this is simple, over the past 4 years I have noticed a dramatic decline in the SERIOUS historian on this end of the hobby. While the numbers swell and ranks grow larger day by day, I feel that many of the new blood are leaving their interest at "Who makes the best" or "How do I make this" questions. I remember not that long ago mentioning the names of Brian Baird and Scott Cross to a new guy, and him having no clue who they are. I see Paul McKee posting on here now as well. People like the previously mentioned, and guys like Mayo, Walker, the Rock brothers, Weed etc spent large amounts of time making this kind of information available and now people won't even venture out to seek it, they would rather take that smooth and easy path.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux View Post
      It seems were digressing back to the "who makes the best..." type of posts, but why not share why you think so- and- so makes the best in your opinion. I've seen all of the makers mentioned in this thread, and I agree they all make a quality knapsack, but what are the traits that make them so? Are they going by the original(s), or are they using something like the Company of Military Historians articles? Are they true in stitching and seams, or just look right on the outside? Instead of just saying, X makes a great pack, or I own Y's pack, please share some reasons why so we can help not only the poster of this thread, but perhaps help a few readers along the way. .
      Thanks for the post Patrick!
      You should notice though that it is not my thread. I was simply reacting to the above post from Mr. Lamoreaux. I purchased a pack made by MB&S and I feel that it is excellent quality. I stated why above. Maybe I should have added that it is a great copy of a knapsack with a painted interior bag. In this particular case...the Johnson bag.
      Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Luke,
        The first part of my post was a statement as to why the bag was painted by some and not by others, the rest of the post was a general observation not directed at anyone in particular. I was basically agreeing with Ross.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

hahaha my fault pat. I thought I had posted incorrectly.
          You are very right in your post. To the same thought...it is getting much more difficult to examine originals. I know that it has taken me years to be trusted enough to get to actually handle original artifacts in a couple of local museum archives. Perhaps to prevent this direction of "asking before researching" we can make primary sources more known to the "progressive" researcher.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Even without handling the articles, there are researchers who have written articles that are available on this site. Another option is to go to a Civil War Relic show or contact the Museum of the Confederacy. While MANY museums will not allow people to examine the artifacts, they may have drawings or photographs available. Truth be told the average reenactor wouldn't know how to properly handle or measure an artifact correctly.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Well guys this has been a very informative thread. I have made my choice of bags and will place my order tomorrow. And since everything I get, my son wants too, I'll order two of them! Thanks for all the fine help y'all

Ronnie - Shreveport
              Ronnie Hull
              Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
              Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
              Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
              2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
              Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

My point to this is simple, over the past 4 years I have noticed a dramatic decline in the SERIOUS historian on this end of the hobby. While the numbers swell and ranks grow larger day by day, I feel that many of the new blood are leaving their interest at "Who makes the best" or "How do I make this" questions. I remember not that long ago mentioning the names of Brian Baird and Scott Cross to a new guy, and him having no clue who they are. I see Paul McKee posting on here now as well. People like the previously mentioned, and guys like Mayo, Walker, the Rock brothers, Weed etc spent large amounts of time making this kind of information available and now people won't even venture out to seek it, they would rather take that smooth and easy path.
                hahaha, welcome to the internet. You won't be so unhappy after another couple years of the same.

Got a L. D. Haning Kibler knapsack and I enjoy the fit and the waterproofing. It has come through several showers quite nicely. I shudder to think about real Civil War soldiers who received substandard goods.
                Peter Koch
                North State Rifles

Comment

Working...
                X