Private Purchase Federal Frock or Frock Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Purchase Federal Frock or Frock Advice

Anyone reading this who knows me and my OCD pursuit of the CS side of things is asking:

Why does OKC care about a Federal frock ?

Well I am spreading my proverbial wings and want to add a Federal component to the living histories which I have been privileged to do in my local school scene. I am getting a good rep and some repeat business.

Because an accurate issue Federal infantry frock is not easy thing to come by, are there documented private purchase fed frocks ?

I had a first rate private purchase sack out of EOG (JoeBlunt) but as I trim down and begin to look more soldierly I have a hankering for a frock and a Hardee (TPH).

Right now since I don't do mil re-nacting I would use it only for the schools. The only option, as nobody wants to make one, is a Jarny (not issue accurate but the most accurate of the not accurate) sans bholes and top stiching and do it myself.

Viola private purchase frock. But I cant back it up with research !

Feel free to beat me about the head and face with the farb flail, I know I know just get a fed blouse and be done with it. Which at the end of the day is what I know will end up doing after nights of sleeplessness OCD'ing about the Jarny frock.
    Last edited by OldKingCrow; 07-21-2008, 04:17 PM.

Re: Private Purchase Federal Frock or Frock Advice

Hey Christopher,

Such a thing did exist, but I think it would be just as expensive and/or time consuming to to produce as a government issue model (to do it correctly that is). Here's a link to Chris Daley's page concerning the examination of a private purchase/commercial frock http://www.cjdaley.com/commercialenlistedcoat.htm
    If I am remembering correctly there were other frocks made early on in the war issued by the states that were based on government coats but were produced by local tailors etc. Good luck,
    Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
    [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Mr. Silliman,

Many thanks...I do not know how I missed that on the CJD page. Doh!

A sack is the way to go. I want show off the newly appearing hour glass waistline. Make that a beer mug waistline.

CR

Comment

Most of my research is on the confederate side as well. However, I have recently added a Burnside impression. Look at this pic:

Check out the forum on here called: Burnside's Men
        I don't believe these frocks would be considered private purchase...however, they aren't really the federal issue pattern either. Hope this is helpful.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
          However, I have recently added a Burnside impression.
          Post needs pics of the whiskers. That has to draw some second looks in the check out line of the Piggly Wiggly.

Thanks. Great pic.
          Last edited by OldKingCrow; 07-21-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Hallo!

"Col. Burnside Welcome Homo"

Now there's a strange sign. ;) :) :)

I think you might be referring to "Rhode Island Blouses" and/or the officers' coats as enlisted private purchase Federal dress coats??

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
              I don't believe these frocks would be considered private purchase...however, they aren't really the federal issue pattern either. Hope this is helpful.
              Curt,
              Nice post...out of all the time i've looked at this image i've never noticed that sign! Hahahaha
              Didn't mean to suggest that they were private purchase...just wanted to provide an example of federal issue blouse/frocks that do not fit into the most common federal issue pattern.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
              X