Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Civil War Reenacting: Centennial Reenactor Interview Request

Hello all,
    For those who have not read my other threads, I am the student who is working on writing a book of the history of Civil War reenacting. To help concentrate my studies, I have decided to try and actually write some chapters of my book; so that I can better pinpoint the gaps I have in my research (rather than just continue my present course of broad research). My first attempt at writing is on probably one of the most famous "eras" of Civil War reenacting, the "Centennial" era of 1960-1965. In gathering my research, I realize that I really need one thing to really complete my research: more testimonies on the public reaction, academic reaction, and reenactor reaction to the events of this period, plus the motives of the people involved in reenacting and putting on the events of the period. So, if you know a reenactor from that period, or were a spectator during that time, I would like to get your thoughts on this. I have talked to a handful of them already (yes, I have talked to Ross Kimmel and seen his memoirs). Phone is not the best way for me to communicate, because of time and phone minutes available to me. If phone is necessary, arrangements can be made, but not preferred. If email is not the thing for you, I would be willing to even do communication by mail too. Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from people.

Feel free to post any comments/thoughts on the Centennial on this thread here, I would be interested to hear what others who weren't alive during this period think about the Centennial period (if you don't want to post but would still want to send me your opinion by PM, that would be alright as well).

Also, if anyone could help me find a particular article about the history of the North-South Skirmish Association, it would be appreciated. It is called "The Story of the North-South Skirmish Association," from Gun World magazine. Apparently, was reprinted for the N-SSA press kit. I would like to get a hold of this for my research. I have tried to get on the NSSA forum, but have not been able to.

Thank you again for your time
    David Fictum,
    Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
    recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Re: History of Civil War Reenacting: Centennial Reenactor Interview Request

David,

Here is a link to an article on the N-SSA webpage that may be helpful to you.

Regards,

Phil Spaugy
    Union Guards
    Co. A
    19th Regiment
    Indiana Volunteer Infantry
    N-SSA

Comment

Thanks Phil, but as I said previously, I already have seen this, and have actually talked to Kimmel.
      David Fictum,

Comment

David,

IF you don't mind I will put your post on the NSSA board with you contact info to see if we can get you some of the info you seek.
        Regards,

Phil Spaugy
        Union Guards
        Co. A
        19th Regiment
        N-SSA

Comment

Thanks, that would be very helpful. I put in for joining the NSSA board, and for some reason, it never let me on. I guess you have to be a NSSA member. Thank you again.
          David Fictum,

Comment

Ok David I will post your request, but can you send me your email address so people can contact you?

pspaugy@aol.com
            Regards,

Phil Spaugy
            Union Guards
            Co. A
            19th Regiment
            N-SSA

Comment

You should talk to Mr. Caldwell who used to have the miniatures shop in Gburg. He lives on the southwest of town. He did alot of reenacting during the Centenial. He is hell of a guy and has a wonderful WWII collection. He is a WWII Marine vet as you may know. In fact, his dad took him to the CW vets reunion in 1938!

Joe Walker

Comment

I have to second what Mr. Walker said, when I first read your post the first person I thought of was Mr. Caldwell. I remember being about 9 years old and going in his now defunct miniature shop next to the horse soldier and talking his ear off. He kept me captivated easily for an hour with stories about centennial reenacting and meeting the old civil war veterans when he was a kid, my parents had to finally drag me out from talking to him. I remember he showed me photos of himself as a young boy with some civil war vets. I even remember him telling me when they did the centennial reenactment of Pickett’s charge on the original ground he looked down and found a piece of an artillery shell which he also showed me. As mentioned above he was really nice and put up with all my young, annoying questions and really left me with a lasting memory.
                -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                [I]
                "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Thank you all very much for the help, my email for this will be davidf.historian@gmail.com . I will have to see what happened to that guy in Gettysburg that is mentioned above. Hey, if any of you have comments on the Centennials, but weren't participants or even alive, please post if you want to.
                  David Fictum,

Comment

David , I was at Antitem as a bugler in an Ohio artillery unit.Have also about 40 years in the N-SSA.Contact me I have some interesting antedots to share. Bud
                    Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Chuck Caldwell is still living in Gettysburg. As a child, I used to hang out at Chuck's shop and sometimes he'd tell a story or two from his time on Guadalcanal. He did participate in the Centennial events and joined my unit for the 125th Gettysburg, carrying his grandfather's Enfield and wearing his grandfather's buttons on his jacket. Chuck is listed in the local phonebook.

Eric
                      Eric J. Mink
                      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric-

At the 125th event Mr. Caldwell fell in with my company, the bunch that split off and portrayed the Tenn men in the attack. I was a member of the 20th Tenn and the old 2nd Maryland (Charles Childs and Les Jensen) were with us. Mr. Caldwell's Confederate ancestor was from Tennesee.

Joe Walker

Comment

Joe,

Interesting. Chuck must have split his time between us, as I distinctly remember him among our company for at least one of the battle scenarios.

Eric
                          Eric J. Mink
                          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Walker View Post
                            Eric-

At the 125th event Mr. Caldwell fell in with my company, the bunch that split off and portrayed the Tenn men in the attack. I was a member of the 20th Tenn and the old 2nd Maryland (Charles Childs and Les Jensen) were with us. Mr. Caldwell's Confederate ancestor was from Tennesee.

Joe Walker
                            Les wrote a unit history for the 2nd MD Fifes and Drums website....it may be helpful.

Best,
                            [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
                            [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Well, the response has been great, and I thank you all for your help. I have received four emails privately, 2 pms, plus help from the NSSA forum to get membership on their forum. I think now I can get into sending out what questions I want to ask. Thanks again for all the help. Will keep you all posted on progress.
                              David Fictum,

Comment

Working...
                              X