This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dirty should we be?

I see many guys that just get the funk on and it looks good but how much is to much or do we need more? I get dirty as it is but if doing reb I guess a little more dirt would not hurt but there always is that question or resupply. Some guys look like the quartermaster has never touched their lives. Sam Watkins talks about being the dirtiest rebel but he also gets new stuff. I am sure the campaign and time of year also are factors so I guess my question is should we dirty it up more?

So what you all think?
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: How dirty should we be?

I think you just let nature take its course and go with that. I do not agree with those that rub stuff on their face, drag their clothing through the mud, etc. in an attempt to look more "campaigner" unless the scenario/event guidelines specifically call for a really ratty, dirty looking bunch.

Why would a reb look any dirtier than a yank? They had water too and I'm sure liked to wash up whenever they could. As far as clothing, I'm sure there were times when Federals were just as rank as the Confederates. Vicksburg comes to mind - sitting in those trenches day in and day out in the Mississippi heat had to make you pretty nasty.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

How clean can you keep?

When reenacting in a way that causes me to do the activities they did under conditions they experienced, I find that trying to keep clean is a real challenge for me, just as it was for them.

Materials, Methods, And the Man...No need to try and add an artificial leg to that three legged stool. ;-)
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I never reply to anything, but this is something I take special interest in. Anyone who has ever worn clothes, modern or period, for more than a weekend hiking and camping; knows darn well it takes less than a week to become filthy. And I'm sure while on campaign, there weren't too many opportunities to shed all of ones clothes and bathe. Especially if there was barely enough water to drink. As far as letting 'nature take its course', them fellas lived in those clothes everyday, not 2 day spans once or twice a month. Speeding up the process is vital in a good looking impression. Even when portraying fairly new recruits. I encourage everyone to try not changing clothes or bathing for a week and just do your regular week activities and see how dirty you get. Then imagine you are marching everyday, drilling, cooking and sleeping in the dirt. These are just my observations, I will try to post some actual research.
        T.J. Bruegger
        [B][FONT="System"]Tater Mess[/FONT][/B]

"That's right dude, the beauty of this is it's simplicity; once a plan gets too complex, everything can go wrong. If there's one thing I learned in Nam..." Walter Sobchak 1991

Comment

Hallo!

A legitimate, but cyclical question... ;)

However, the answer is still blowin' in the wind:

"Materials, Methods, And the Man...No need to try and add an artificial leg to that three legged stool."

Three legged stool, three legged stool, three...legged...stool.

When one starts to approach nailing those three legs down in a unit being portrayed as to time, place, and circumstance- it is amazing how when one simulates and emulates the Three Legs, one starts looking more like Civil War soldiers and less like modern reenactors.

However... that being said... there are three factors that drive the argument:

1. The Myth of the Universal, Always Ragged, Half Naked, Starving Confederate solider is pervasive and entrenched in Civil War history and modern reenacting Culture.

2. As a Hobbyism, we "value" the seasoned, weathered, lived-in look of the "veteran" or "campaigner" more than we do the Shake and Bake, Just Got It in the Mail Before the Event, "Band Box" look of the Fresh Fish (or for that matter, the day of the Quartermaster resupply).

3. As a Hobbyism, and a reflection on Reality and Perception- the Three Legged Stool has a unique and signature way of seasoning, weathering, wearing, fatiguing, and stressing the look of things that is usually beyond the skill and knowledge set of most lads in trying to "fake" them and still be Believeable.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I've said this before. It depends, in part, on the individual soldier. I am fastidious by nature and like to keep clean. Once I get into the field, I adjust to a lower level of hygene, but not much.

Dirt and mud can be brushed off to a great extent. Shirts can be washed out and hung to dry, especially if you swap shirts before bedding down for the night. You can wash your hands and face and brush teeth quickly each morning and night. This is expedited if you keep a small hand towel with you.

The cuffs of shirts, trousers and drawers will have dirt stains. There may be some serious sweat stains from wet leather and rust stains (yes, rust stains) from buttons, too.

I spent five days on campaign at Banks Grand Retreat, and looked pretty darn good at the end, other than some mud on my shoes and a few spots on the trousers. I switched my shirt each night, as well as my socks. In general, I looked pretty clean other than the sweat.

That being said, the funk was most righteous and akin to a bad vinegar smell. I hung my kit up to dry in my hotel room in New Orleans that night, and when I returned from dinner I was seriously worried I would be charged for decontaminating the room. I thought they might have to get a priest to get rid of the smell.

I will also concede certain issues of a more personal nature. Large amounts of fromunda cheese, ass sap, hair balls, dingleberries and other unmentionable body excretions needed attention. A quick dip in a stream at some point during that week would have abated things to an extent.

It was much the same for Winter '64. That event was more hygene friendly, since it was a fixed camp, and I was able to sponge down most nights with a towel. There was a lot more mud and ice, but things stayed relatively clean. A small hand wisk broom also allowed cabin residents to remove straw before stepping outside.
            Last edited by JustRob; 07-23-2008, 01:27 PM.
            Robert Carter
            69th NYSV, Co. A
            justrobnj@gmail.com
            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

You most certainly won't hear me argue one bit that living the life of a soldier on campaign isn't dirty, messy, uncomfortable business.

Anyways the problem I've always had with the cosmetic dirt some fellows like to apply is just so much veneer and while it may play well when posing on sutler row, it doesn't really compare or match up to real honest to goodness grunge that comes from actual campaigning. I don't reenact merely so that I can look like a Civil War soldier but so that I can experience a taste of the life they lived. With that goal in mind I'll take the worn in dirt and sweat earned after three days campaigning over the fresh dirt topically applied in the parking lot anyday.

Originally posted by Possum Stew View Post
              Speeding up the process is vital in a good looking impression.
              BTW, I don't think I was ever much more dirty than after three days marching across Louisiana and then throwing up breastworks in the burned over area amongst all the cinders soot and ash. Then again, I suppose I was actually probably dirtier a day or two later but my hands and face were cleaner at least. As I recall it rained on us a little at that event too which may have made me cleaner, I'm not sure. ;-)

The key to a good authentic dirty appearance, is a good authentic dirty event...
              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Feds and Confederates both marched down dusty roads, slept on the ground, carried what they needed and nothing more, etc., but in my years of reading about this conflict (but without any sources in front of me to site from), it seems that the Feds would make mention of how much more dirty and unsanitary the Confederates were than themselves (the Feds). Maybe this has to do with a difference in cultures; i.e. North vs. South? Even today, if someone doesn't have enough respect for themselves to keep their living environments clean and sanitary, this usually carries over into how they view their own personal cleanliness and sanitary condition.

Also, you cannot be a weekend warrior a few times a year and think that you know what it's like to live in the field for three or four years. Even going to a campaigner event that takes you into the woods for a few days doesn't compare to living it for real over months and years. One example in my own past comes to mind; Pea Ridge in '95 (I think that's the year). It was both hot and muggy, but it rained too. I was so fatigued from our marches, combined with being wet, tired and wore out, that by the end of the event I didn't care that I was dropping down on the side of the road in the mud and water to try and grab a few minutes of rest and sleep before being ordered forward again. Even the real soldiers from the Civil War started out as civilians but soon became soldiers. All those civilian practices of washing and bathing (which was not looked on the same way as we today view bathing, washing our hair, etc.) soon went out the window. Like me with trying to take a nap in a mud puddle because I was so exhausted, over time you just don't care anymore - at least that's been my expeirence.
                Nic Clark
                2017 - 24 years in the hobby
                Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
                  I will also concede certain issues of a more personal nature. Large amounts of fromunda cheese, ass sap, hair balls, dingleberries and other unmentionable body excretions needed attention. A quick dip in a stream at some point during that week would have abated things to an extent.
                  I shudder to think what might qualify as "unmentionable" once you've metioned "ass sap". :sick:

While vile, I think the above paragraph is one of the funniest things I've read on these fora in many years!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Just make sure Rob is downstream.
                    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Nic and T.J. are exactly right. We certainly cannot claim to know what it was like and there were certainly times when soldiers looked like moving piles of dirt and lice. Both of these guys have excellent Trans-Miss Confederate campaign impressions by the way.

So how do we get consistency in a unit impression when you have a bunch of guys at an event with all sorts of clothing and gear in different stages of newness and use? I think that's the question here and not whether the individual has a certain look or not. When I talk about letting nature take its course, I think there are a number of variables at work here.

1. Soldiers were expected to keep their uniforms and equipment in as good a shape as they could. To stand for inspections, parade etc. they would brush dirt and mud off uniform parts, clean weapons, polish buttons and try to have equipment in good repair and shape. But there were times when that wasn't possible. So how one looks is going to be very dependent on time and place portrayed.

2. Many fellows who pay $250 for a coat aren't going to want to speed up its demise artificially. They're going to be pretty picky about it and usually look like they've just been issued new clothing. I don't know if there's much that can be done about that one but it might not be that bad actually.

3. As pointed out already, much will depend on the individual and their level of fastidiousness. Some have low thresholds of dirt toleration. As soon as a creek or pond is around, they're washing up the best they can. Others don't mind it so much. Folks were the same way then. I personally can't stand the feel of dried mud on my hands. It feels too dry and really bothers me. I'll do whatever I can to get that off. But I wipe greasy knifes and hands on my trousers consistently when cooking and think nothing of that. I'm reminded of Hancock and how he always had a clean starched white shirt no matter what the time of year or what was going on. Granted, he was a general and had more resources available to him but I'm sure there were private soldiers that were like-minded and would do whatever they could to clean up when possible. I recently read of a couple of fellows in the 21st MO who had the opportunity to go into a town and get cleaned up. They really stood out and got a lot of ribbing from others when they got back because they looked like fresh fish. But it was important to them to do that.

4. Some fellows would get new issue stuff or clothing from home when others didn't. That would certainly make for some differences in the way a company looked. See #2.

5. There will automatically be a difference in impression between those that do a lot of events and have their stuff in the field more and those that can only get to a few over the course of each year.

6. The way we need to look is going to be dependent on time, place and the scenario at any particular event. There will be times when a unit should look relatively well and others when the moving piles of dirt and lice are the norm.

7. While these guys did spend 3-4 years in the war, they didn't necessarily spend the whole time in the field. There were furloughs, 'French Leave', temporary assignments etc that would take them away from their unit and perhaps give opportunity to clean up and re-kit themselves. When they returned to their company, they might look quite a bit different from the rest. In the aforementioned history of the 21st MO, I was struck at the large amount of comings and goings of not only the officers but also the rank and file.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at the majority of events, perhaps we don't do that bad a job when we fall in with a wide range of clothing of various age and repair. We may come closer to emulating a typical company than we realize and don't need to worry so much about artificially trying to look differently than we do.

What do others think?
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Take Pickett's Mill for an example. Both armies had been doing some serious campaigning, which means little time for staying clean, digging in, getting filthy, sloshing through mud after or during the rains. Unless these boys at this time of the Atlanta Campaign had recently outfitted, then they would have definitely shown a great deal of grime and hard living in their uniforms.

Our mess arrived a day early and stayed on site; living out in the field and accumulating that red Georgia clay on our clothing. It was our goal to look as if we had been on active hard campaign, which I believe we achieved.

Of course, there are events where looking like you have been on active campaign is incorrect. I guess the key here is adapt your impression to meet the situation of the scenario being portrayed.
                        Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
                        Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
                        Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
                        The Tater Mess
                        The Widow's Son Mess
                        WIG's
                        [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

Gents,
                          A year ago, I began shooting in Civil War Skirmish Association Meets. Beyond the thrill of live-firing my Enfield and 42 Springfield, I was amazed at how completely filthy my hands, face, and uniform (where I'd wiped my hands) become from handling and firing black powder.
                          I firmly believe that grime is woefully under-represented when we portray soldiers fresh from a fight.
                          Mark Warren
                          Hairy Nation Boys
                          [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                          "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                          Mark Warren
                          Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Since I do not re-enact often, I do not clean my clothes. 2-3 events a year = about 2 weeks of living history. Men and boys have skins that are powder and dirt magnets. That takes care of itself.
                            Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
                            Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
                            Shoemaker

Comment

Never wash, brush maybe...
                              Just that, no more ;)
                              William Miconnet
                              French Mess
                              AES
                              BGR & IPW Survivor
                              Never ever give up!
                              In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                              I believe!

Comment

Working...
                              X