Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigar lighters

All,

While doing research for an upcoming LH at Bennitt Place, I came across references to to "bright leaf" tobacco which became wildly popular both North and South . And led to the extensive cigarette industry here in NC.

Considering that pipes and cigars were much more prevalent during the war, I remembered a passage from Catton's " A Stillness at Appomattox ", concerning some of U.S. Grant's affectations.

" He breakfasted frequently on a cup of coffee and a cucumber sliced in vinegar, and if he ate meat it had to be cooked black, almost to a crisp: this author of much bloodshed detested the sight of blood, and was made queasy by the sight of red meat. When he prepared for his days rounds he accepted from his servant two dozen cigars, which were stowed away in various pockets, and he carried a FLINT AND STEEL LIGHTER WITH A LONG WICK, MODERN STYLE, so that he could get a light in a high wind. " ( emphasis mine.)

I have spent 3 days searching the ether and perusing the local library with only one extremely vague reference to a personal, ( Henry Clay ) lighter of the period. Lots of references to table top and otherwise ornate non-portable devices but nothing which fits the above description.

I am hoping that someone on this forum might have an illustration of , or at least point me in the direction of, more information.

Respectfully,
    Kevin Ellis,
    26th NC

Re: Cigar lighters

In my F&I Hobby... I light my pipe using a flint, steel, and slow match. Slow match is cotton cord that has been treated (think match lock musket). I have a small brass tube that holds the slow match. I push out a small amount of the slow match and hold it against the flint. When I strike it, the spark catches on the slow match and then I blow on it until I get a cherry red ember. Then I press this into my pipe until it gets going. To put it out, I pull the slow match back into the tube. You don't want to touch the burnt end of the slow match and get your oils on it. That will prevent it from catching a spark. Hope this helps and is along the lines of what you are looking for. I believe you can get slow match at Dixie Gun Works.
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Comment

Re: Cigar lighters

A quick search of the Scientific American found reference to a "swinging cigar lighter" in an 1864 issue but it was only a mention of it's existence. I also located an ad for a "Self-lighting Pocket Repeating Cigar Lighter" in an 1868 issue. If someone has access to the patent office archives this may be a good lead for identifying the described object.
      Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Working...
      X