Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning Courts-Marshal

Several questions,
    Is anyone familear with a manual for the procedue of a courts-marshal in the Confederate or Federal Army or Navy?
    Second in Co. Aytch: The Classic Memoir of the Civil War by a Confederate Soldier on pg 37. it talks about the defendants lawyer adressing th court, I first assume this is an army officer apointed as an attourney but it dosnt say. Could a soldier on trial at a military tribunal from a well-off family have the option of hiring a civilian attourney?
    What "courticies" could be given to a man condemed to be hanged or shot dead by musketry?
    Steven Flibotte
    Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
    Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Re: Question concerning Courts-Marshal

I would recommend three books: 1863 Laws & Articles of War, Rebel Watchdog: Confederate Provost Guard, and Tarnished Eagles: The Court Martial of fifty Federal Colonels. All books are a wealth of info on the subject and can all be found on Amazon.com.

If you need anything further, feel free to send me a PM.
    Andre Wagner
    Surgeon
    147th Reg't PA Vol.

Comment

Hallo!

I would also add: Kautz's "THE 1865 CUSTOMS OF SERIVCE FOR OFFICERS OF THE ARMY, courts-martial are covered in detail under the "Military Justice" section (138 et al).

IMHO, courts-martials are a diffrent beastie than civilian courts. There is a Judge Advocate that counsels the defendent, as well as a counsel. He can be a civilian, however as with a counsel I would be hard pressed to see where a "civilian" either as Judge Advocate or Counsel would be knowledgeable or competent on and in matters of "military justice" and differences between civilian and military courts.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Try this : A Treatise on Military Law and the Practice of Courts-martial by Capt. Stephen Vincent Benét (New York : 1864). Go to page 166 or follow this link for the formalities on execution of sentence.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

'Madness, Malingering and Malfeasance' by R. Gregory Lande has alot of descriptions of the nuts and bolts of what went on in a court martial.
          [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
          [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
          Independent Volunteers
          [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Working...
          X