Popular Jokes Or Pranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Jokes Or Pranks

I recently came across this 10 Oldest Jokes in the World, and they got me to thinking. -What do you suppose were the 10 most often told Jokes during the Civil War? Or perhaps the 10 most often played pranks during the Civil War?

Oh yeah... the 10 Oldest Jokes in the World?

They are:

1. Something which has never occurred since time immemorial: a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap (1900 BC – 1600 BC Sumerian Proverb Collection 1.12-1.13)

2. How do you entertain a bored pharaoh? You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish (An abridged version first found in 1600 BC on the Westcar Papryus)

3. Three ox drivers from Adab were thirsty: one owned the ox, the other owned the cow and the other owned the wagon's load. The owner of the ox refused to get water because he feared his ox would be eaten by a lion; the owner of the cow refused because he thought his cow might wander off into the desert; the owner of the wagon refused because he feared his load would be stolen. So they all went. In their absence the ox made love to the cow which gave birth to a calf which ate the wagon's load. Problem: Who owns the calf?! (1200 BC)

4. A woman who was blind in one eye has been married to a man for 20 years. When he found another woman he said to her, "I shall divorce you because you are said to be blind in one eye." And she answered him: "Have you just discovered that after 20 years of marriage!?" (Egyptian circa 1100 BC)

5. Odysseus tells the Cyclops that his real name is nobody. When Odysseus instructs his men to attack the Cyclops, the Cyclops shouts: "Help, nobody is attacking me!" No one comes to help. (Homer. The Odyssey 800 BC)

6. Question: What animal walks on four feet in the morning, two at noon and three at evening? Answer: Man. He goes on all fours as a baby, on two feet as a man and uses a cane in old age (Appears in Oedipus Tyrannus and first performed in 429 BC)

7. Man is even more eager to copulate than a donkey - his purse is what restrains him (Egyptian, Ptolemaic Period 304 BC – 30 BC)

8. Augustus was touring his Empire and noticed a man in the crowd who bore a striking resemblance to himself. Intrigued he asked: "Was your mother at one time in service at the Palace?" "No your Highness," he replied, "but my father was." (Credited to the Emporer Augustus 63 BC – 29 AD)

9. Wishing to teach his donkey not to eat, a pedant did not offer him any food. When the donkey died of hunger, he said "I've had a great loss. Just when he had learned not to eat, he died." (Dated to the Philogelos 4th /5th Century AD)

10. Asked by the court barber how he wanted his hair cut, the king replied: "In silence." (Collected in the Philogelos or "Laughter-Lover" the oldest extant jest book and compiled in the 4th/5th Century AD)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: Popular Jokes Or Pranks

Brian, I'm glad that you've brought up jokes from your "younger days" of yore.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

That's some funny stuff right there.
      "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
      1st Missouri Battalion
      Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

On the notion of civil war jokes....
        There's always the very common prank where the author is in the hospital and his roommate/bunk mate is lowering the rope with a heavy spike on the end out the window while someone destracts the fruit vendor. It's been awhile since I read this...but I believe this is in Co. Aytch???
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Just finished Co. Aytch.....again. I don't recollect the incident you mention, but it did remind me that they would take some greenhorn snipe hunting and leave him holding the bag all night.
          "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
          1st Missouri Battalion
          Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Hallo!

Two from an actual Civil War tract:

Q: What is the last part of a pig to jump over a fence?
            A. The letter "k." (p-o-r-k)
            and

First man: My dog got its nose cut off.
            Second man: How does it smell?!
            First man: Awful!

Yuck, yuck, yuck... ;) :)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post

First man: My dog got its nose cut off.
              Second man: How does it smell?!
              First man: Awful!

Yuck, yuck, yuck... ;) :)

Curt
              I think this one has more significance in WWII as the German reply to England's "Funiest Joke In the World"...let's see if anyone gets that one.
              Tim Koenig

Comment

Thanks Sam! I couldn't remember where I read that...it must of came fromt he book "Rebel Private"
                I will quote this exactly this evening...stay tuned!
                Last edited by lukegilly13; 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Those fellers arguing over the calf may need to rethink their biology a bit.

In other period pranks and jokes, a whole laundry list of them may be found here:
                  Some Adventures of Captain Simon Suggs, Late of the Tallapoosa Volunteers; Together with "Taking the Census," and Other Alabama Sketches. By a Country Editor with a Portrait from Life, and Other Illustrations, by Darley. by Johnson Jones Hooper, 1815-1862 and Felix Octavius Carr Darley, 1822-1888, Illustrated by

Some Adventures of Captain Simon Suggs, Late of the Tallapoosa Volunteers; Together with "Taking the Census," and Other Alabama Sketches. By a Country Editor with a Portrait from Life, and Other Illustrations, by Darley.
                  Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1845.

Back in the spring, while gone to some of those events on the funnel cake circuit, I encountered a gentlemen with cracker box emblazoned "Simon Suggs, Merchant" , along with a scattering of cards and dice. I complimented his box and his impression and noted the fact that by 1860, the unfortunate Mr. Simon Suggs was dead and gone. His reply "Ah, yes, you are the first person I have encountered in 4 years of carrying this box who knew the good Mr. Suggs. Would you not agree that if he had lived until the war, he would have been right here, pursuing these sorts of games of chance with the troops?" I had to say yes.

Like all good jokes, there must be both a kernel of truth, and a bit of a lie, to make the story work as it should. The best jokes tell a Truth about us as humans, even if they do not relate the precise order of facts as they happened.
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Here is the scenario I was talking about earlier. It comes from :
                    "Rebel Private: Front and Rear" by William A. Fletcher. This particular event takes place in a hopital in Richmond.
                    The boys had gone bust of course touring the cities as this was very early war. Undernearth the hopital was a very large fruit stand:
                    Bill called at my room and while there discovered the fruit.....He said, "If you will let me operate from your room we will have all the fruit we want or he will have to move it out of sight and I do not think there would be any more harm in taking it than the man is doing by tempting a busted fellow".....When bill returned he had a large fishhook, straightened, and line of suitable length, and with suitable weight where the line was attached to the hook. It made a good harpoon when dropped a few feet. The fruit stand was against the wall and nearly out of sight of the attendant inside. Bill, for a time, was a welcome daily visitor and could be seen about 10 a.m. at my window "fishing" as he called it, for fruit. He operated in this way: Lowered his hook to a point a few feet above the fuit; dropped it, then he would pull it up and repeat. His time of operations was when a customer entered the room.
                    Yes this "foraging" but it seemed more spiteful and in the nature of a prank to me!
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Hey Brian---

Tell us the jokes you young Marines were telling that night when you were sitting around Tun Tavern ;-)
                      Mike Ventura
                      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
                        I think this one has more significance in WWII as the German reply to England's "Funiest Joke In the World"...let's see if anyone gets that one.
                        Thats easy, Episode 1 of Monty Python's Flying Circus, "The World's Funniest Joke." I am a big M.P. fan. I have tried to get several people to translate the german translation of the worl'ds funniest joke that they have featured on that sketch, but have never found anyone who could pull it off. It always appears that its not really german, but its written to look like real german.
                        David Fictum,
                        Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                        recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

This is one from Harper's Weekly:

Q: What does a soldier sleep on?

A: His nap-sack.

I'm just passing along the historical info....
                          Robert Carter
                          69th NYSV, Co. A
                          justrobnj@gmail.com
                          www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

I got a kick out of this one from Si Klegg.. I would love to try to pull this one off at an event..

After supper Si got permission to visit the camp of one
                            of the old regiments not far away, to see some of his friends
                            who had enlisted the year before. The veterans were having
                            a frolic. Si elbowed his way into a crowd in the center
                            of which a dozen men were standing around an outstretched
                            blanket, with their hands firmly grasping its
                            edges. He stood for a moment, with his hands in his
                            trousers' pockets, wondering what it all meant. Then he
                            ventured to ask one of the spectators what they were
                            doing. "
                            0, jest havin' a little sport !" was the answer. "
                            I'd like ter know, "said Si, " whar'sthe fun in them fellers
                            stan'in' like so many stoughton-bottleshangin' on ter that
                            blanket, 'n' the crowd jest lookin' at em' ! Mebbe its fun
                            but I can't see it." "
                            Keep yer eye on that blanket 'bout five seconds an'
                            p'r'aps ye'll see suthin' wuth lookin' at !"
                            The veteran drew back a step and winked to one or two
                            of his comrades. Seizing Si by the legs they pitched him
                            over, a helpless heap, upon the blanket. There was a quick
                            outward pull in all directions upon the edges of the blanket
                            which straightened it suddenly and he went up four or
                            five feet in the air. The tension was relaxed for an instant
                            as he came down. Then with a fiendish delight the men
                            braced their feet, swaying their bodies outward, and their
                            victim bounded up, with sprawling limbs, higher than before.
                            Greg Bullock
                            [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
                            Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

The oldest British joke dates back to the 10th century and reveals the bawdy face of the Anglo-Saxons. "What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? A key."

Suprisingly, this is older than the jokes I usually tell...:p

-Johnny Lloyd
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X