• Show
Clear All

• Reenactor shoots himself in foot.

From the front page of today's paper:

Re-enactor accidentally shoots himself in foot

BY RICK FULTON
    Times Staff Writer
    Published: Monday, August 4, 2008 8:32 AM EDT
    A Civil War re-enactor participating in a mock skirmish at the American Civil War Museum Sunday was injured in an apparently accidental self-inflicted “gun shot.”

The re-enactors were using blank cartridges at the time which lack a projectile and consist solely of black powder.

Police and emergency personnel responded at 3:28 p.m. to the scene of the shooting and police eventually cordoned off the area with yellow tape stating it was considered a “crime scene.”

Patrick Williams, a re-enactor from Hagerstown with the 42nd Mississippi, identified the injured compatriot as a member of the 15th Alabama.

He said he thought the injured soldier was around 17 years of age.

The Times elected not to publish the name of the injured re-enactor because of his age.

Williams stated that the units involved in the living history event at the 297 Steinwehr Ave. museum were staging a skirmish at the time of the incident.

“The shooting was almost over,” Williams said, when the victim accidentally shot himself and “got the very tip of his boot.”

The boot, left behind in the camp after the injured re-enactor was transported to York Hospital by ambulance, had a hole around the toe area about the size of a quarter surrounded with burned leather.

Williams described the injury as a “foot wound” in which one or more toenails were taken off in the blast.

Period muskets, even replicas, can shoot a sheet of flame up to three feet just from a normal powder charge.

He described the shot as having been at “point blank range” and said he believed the re-enactor was using a .69 caliber weapon.

York Hospital would only confirm that the patient was received in the emergency room, but would not release any patient information regarding status of the injured re-enactor.

Gettysburg ambulance, Medic 28, Gettysburg Borough and Cumberland Township police responded, as well as Gettysburg National Military Park security, who assisted with traffic control.

The incident was still considered under investigation by press time.

Regards,
    Shaun Grenan
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Shaun C. Grenan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Newaygo, MI[/COLOR][/I]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"[I]' Ellsworth! Remember Ellsworth!' was the chorused battle-cry with us all, and at each shout horsemen would fall from their horses, victims upon our altar of vengeance. -Member of Co, B, 1st NY Fire Zouaves, NY Leader, July 23, 1861.[/I]"[/FONT]

Re: Reenactor shoots himself in foot.

Hi,

How does anyone shoot him self in the foot with a 69 caliber musket?:sarcastic You would have to be aiming the musket at your foot, becuase during the loading process, you would never have the gun muzzle that close to the ground. Maybe I am missing something. On a different note, I bet that really hurt!!!!!!!!
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

1. You would think the powder would pour out, so obviously he was using wadding.
      2. Where were his officers to ensure that he had been instructed in the proper handling of his musket, proper footwork, etc.
      3. Lack of gun discipline, it would seem, in this unit.
      Last edited by Secesh; 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM.
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I would think that with the weapon in an inverted manner, all of the gunpowder would slide out the end of the barrel before it could be discharged at that range to the foot. Unless of course they were ramming paper...

I can only guess what happened, and I've never seen anything close to this myself. But I'll tell you, the yahoos and jackasses are going to be the end of us. :tounge_sm

Mike Phineas
        Arlington, TX
        Last edited by AZReenactor; 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM. Reason: Removed Modern Political commentary.
        Mike Phineas
        Arlington, TX
        24th Missouri Infantry
        Independent Volunteer Battalion
        www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

From reading the newspaper report it would seem there was a very good dose of over reaction by those involved. OK, the guy had a blank round shot into his shoe, so take him to the doctor and be done with it. Why on earth would the police have to react with a "crime scene" scenario? You would think any idiot could see what happened. Lord, only knows what level of reaction a shooting with a live round would have caused after reading about what they do for a blank.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

"Can't fix stupid..."

If someone is doing period drill properly, then musket safety is built into the manual... when they wrote the drill manuals, our ancestors weren't dumb or negligent. This is why it is so important to do drill manual properly and by the period manual(s).

People get hurt at their hobbies all of the time- skydiving, hunting, archery... just because someone looks as if they are making war doesn't mean our hobby is any less safe than anyone else's hobby.

Hopefully no one will use this incident as an excuse to end activities at the museum, or worse, to create stupid and ineffectual anti-gun legislation.

My .02 cents... just as good as anyone's... Johnny Lloyd
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hallo!

"The boot, left behind in the camp after the injured re-enactor was transported to York Hospital by ambulance, had a hole around the toe area about the size of a quarter surrounded with burned leather."

Interesting... D**n those Brand X, Run-of-the-Mill, Sutler's Row, Pakistani products! :) :)

Curiouser and curiouser... having witnessed half a dozen or so "cook off's" in the N-SSA of lads getting there hands and/or fingers "peppered" at the muzzle, a blank round burning its way through boot leather to require an EMS and trip to the ER....?

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Johnny is right. I watched skateboarder Tony Hawk at the X Games on TV this weekend. He busted up his hip on one jump and on another had to have gotten a concusion. So do we go for anti-skateboarding legislation? I was watching Amazing Videos on TV a couple weeks ago and watched a parachuting guy slam into a van on his landing. Hurt both the van and him. He wailed in pain by the back bumper of the van with a broken hip and a bunch of other broken things. So anti-parachuting is now needed? On another video these snow boarders built a huge snow ramp across a road. A guy crashed and hurt himself. So should that be anti-snowboards or anti-snow ramps? A week ago I went to the largest large-cat sanctuary in the country. I walked 12 inches away from lions, tigers, panthers and leopards with nothing more than a 10 foot chain link fence between me and them. I've watched attacks on youtube.com. Banning the kittys now?

Nope, legislation won't fix it. Yep, can't fix stupid.
                Matt Woodburn
                Retired Big Bug
                WIG/GHTI
                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

The chances for second guessing and speculation abounding here!
                  Maybe not shoddy Paki boots, but here is a suggested senerio.
                  A 17 year old in his first action, IN GETTYSBURG yet, and the notorious barrel heavy Italian musket was being wheeled up to fire when it slipped due to the weight of the barrel, and nervous excitement, and attempting to pull the muzzle up, used his trigger finger hand to do so and...BLAM!
                  In my first corn field skirmish with the 104th Illinois back in the 1960's I did a similar sinful act, and saw others do so as well.
                  We may never know, but the importance is, yes, the reporting of the event and how the press and civilians percieve reenacting.
                  Therein lies the real hurt.
                  Steve Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                    Hopefully no one will use this incident as an excuse to end activities at the museum, or worse, to create stupid and ineffectual anti-gun legislation.
                    Ibid. Although I am not from the States ;) I guess if something similar happened in Germany and went to the press, the administration would take measures against reenactors ...
                    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Ladies and Gentleman... our first contenstant in the Reenacting Darwin Award Competition for 2008
                      Brad Ireland
                      Old Line Mess
                      4th VA CO. A
                      SWB

Comment

They did, of course, have to mention that this involved an "oversize" .69 cal. musket. In some states, anything over .50 caliber is considered a "destructive device".

I'm sure we'll get an explanation by and by, but I'm still confused about the foot shot.
                        Robert Carter
                        69th NYSV, Co. A
                        justrobnj@gmail.com
                        www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

And, apparently, Gettysburg Hospital isn't prepared to deal with black powder injuries, as they sent him to York. That doesn't bode well for an injury taking place at a larger scale event in this area...

Also, it was interesting to see the paper report that a "skirmish" was being held at the Wax Museum...
                          [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Shaun C. Grenan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
                          [I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Newaygo, MI[/COLOR][/I]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"[I]' Ellsworth! Remember Ellsworth!' was the chorused battle-cry with us all, and at each shout horsemen would fall from their horses, victims upon our altar of vengeance. -Member of Co, B, 1st NY Fire Zouaves, NY Leader, July 23, 1861.[/I]"[/FONT]

Comment

Hi,

I have seen some reenactors shooting rounds off in front of the Wax Museum for a living history, but never a skirmish.
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I would bet if we are shooting holes in boots, we have more than just powder in the barrel! Unless his shoe is made of paper, leather just doesn't get holes like that. It tough, thats why we use it! Just my two cents.
                              Don Woods
                              Member ABT

Comment

Working...
                              X