X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reenactor shoots himself in foot.

Hallo!

It might depend upon the "groups" or "units."

I have seen "mini-battles" between the U.S. and C.S. "contingents" put on for the Spectating Public in the front yard at the Ear Wax Museum in Gettysburg.

(Okay, I admit it. I like to browse their book-store... There, I said it. And have to walk through the "living history" to get inside.)

My second last visit though, the "living history" was next to the swimming pool across the street at the former "Gettysburg Motor Lodge" parking lot.

Curt
    Ol' Smokey Toes Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I do know one thing, going INTO battle at a 1st Manasses scenario with those shoes on would be uber farby!
      -Ty "Tic-Tac" Gladden
      Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry
      One of the "Three Jesi", and founding member of the Shire Mess.
      Part of the Chocolate People Mess, of the Texmosippiana Society...

Comment

Any chance he was "taking a hit" or something and dropped the rifle setting off the hammer and busting a cap???? I'm not sure that I could blow a whole through my boots standing up with my musket if i tried!!!! Like everyone has said...the powder should pour out! Got to have a wad or a tightly packed powder or something.....
        I hate to say it...but I guess it could of been pyrodex pellets or something???
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I guess the hospital was thinking it was an instant replay of the 98 reenactment where the fellow got shot with a borrowed pistol. That incident was treated like a crime scene, so perhaps that created a precedence.

I don't think it was just powder and some wading in that barrel either.

Joe Walker
          Waco Guards
          CMH

Comment

Hallo!

D**n those lost brass cleaning jags...
            Oh, the Humanity.

Seriously, I await any FF (Factual Follow-up) as to what caused a hole through his shoe and injury enough to warrant an EMS ride to the ER...

On the other hand, we could always talk about how many hands the one cannon in front of the Ear Wax Museum is said to have claimed... ;) :)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Curt,

now, the petting zoo area, I mean, Living history, is in front of the Wax Museum, along the side, on the gravesite of the old Shoney's, AND across the street at the hotel. It doesn't die, it multiplies...

Regards,
              Shaun
              [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Shaun C. Grenan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
              [I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Newaygo, MI[/COLOR][/I]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"[I]' Ellsworth! Remember Ellsworth!' was the chorused battle-cry with us all, and at each shout horsemen would fall from their horses, victims upon our altar of vengeance. -Member of Co, B, 1st NY Fire Zouaves, NY Leader, July 23, 1861.[/I]"[/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

WHERE were the preservationists when the Shoney's closed and was torn down, I want to know!!?

I think what is happening in G-Burg and elsewhere is a proof of Spontaneous Generation. As with the old proofs from the Rennaissance where they sprinkled old clothes with seeds and put them in a dark room for a while. When they came back, mice and rats had spontaneuosly generated.

Curt
                Theodoric of York Mess
                Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                  Seriously, I await any FF (Factual Follow-up) as to what caused a hole through his shoe and injury enough to warrant an EMS ride to the ER...
                  So far, the most intelligent statement made on this thread so far. ;)

Until more information is known, we're all just speculating in the wind about the person, the unit, the circumstances, and the incident itself.

It's as useless as the mad-dash political pundits on TV, etc, looking to fill up air time/space with hypothetical scenarios as to what factually happened.

Let's give it time to settle out with the real story. Then we'll know.
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                  Outpost III

Comment

Thought you all might like to see the shoe...tried to post image but it will not let me....here's the link
                    http://www.gettysburgtimes.com/artic...2047821501.txt
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Mr. Schmidt, you would be suprised at what people take an ambulance ride for. But in this case I would bet he went with EMS as a case of CYA for one party or the other. The litigious society in which we live makes questionable EMS rides common place. I have seen many a run play out like this since I have been on the job. Useless speculation I know, but I could not help myself. Another fine example of pay attention to what you are doing whilst playing with firearms.

Respectfully....
                      Sean Collicott
                      Your humble servant....
                      Sean Collicott
                      [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                      [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Here's a thought, what if the lad was portraying a ragged rebel, perhaps the hole in the toe of his shoe was already there. That would allow the blast to easily mangle his toes. Hmm:sarcastic
                        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

If you read the comments at the bottom of the webpage, you will see that it was not a self inflicted injury. More details are promised in tomorrows story. This may explain the police activity. Law suits are prone to happen when someone injures someone else, and they might have needed the evidence properly cataloged and preserved.
                          Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
                            They did, of course, have to mention that this involved an "oversize" .69 cal. musket. In some states, anything over .50 caliber is considered a "destructive device".
                            Could you please throw light on what is meant by this for us Europeans?
                            Here in the UK the Gov doesn't classify things like this.
                            Its a shotgun if it is more than 24" Barrel, less than 2" bore and is not rifled. This includes anything from .45 musketoons up to 3/4 napoleons.
                            We only get into sticky ground if we want rifled weapons or weapons with a capacity of more than two rounds, both of which require a Firearms license.
                            A shotgun cert is reasonably straight forward to get but a Firearms license is not, which probably explains why so many of ours are smoothbores.

If this had happened in the UK it would have been an unprecedented disaster for re-enactors of all periods using firearms.

Christian Sprakes
                            19th Regimental Musician and bugler
                            [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                            19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Here you go 50. cal is eqivlant to 12.7x99mm and 69. is 17.5 mm.
                              In Memory of George Weiser, 10th NJ INF, CO. A, 6th corps 1st divison, captured at the muleshoe of Spotsylvania,Va, imprisoned in Andersonville,GA. Born in 1839 died in 1927.

Comment

Can you imagine being at an actual event and hearing the story around the ole fire. I can hear the stories now.

Yeah I was there, and this person shot his whole leg off.

I heard he got his foot amputated.

I heard from this one guy who heard it from this other guy, who heard it from this guy that was really there, and he said he shot himself on purpose after saying " Hold my beer and watch this"
                                [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X