This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linseed Oil.......Hazardous!

Boiled Linseed Oil is a main ingredient in “period paint recipes.” It contains lead, arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel. These elements are toxins, carcinogens and teratogens.

Just read the label on a can of Boiled Linseed Oil, "Use of this product will expose you to arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel, which are known to cause cancer; and lead which is known to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm." (Read it for yourself, an actual label is shown at the end of this webpage.)

The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) rate the health hazards of boiled linseed oil as low. But and this is a very important BUT-- that is when the oil is used in the context of the MSDS guidelines as an exterior coating for wood or metal. No one has addressed the use of boiled linseed oil for coating cloth items containing food, cloth items for transporting clothing and food and cloth items to sleep on.

When we first began to reproduce the double bag knapsack we contacted the Sunnyside Company that produces boiled linseed oil. We described how we proposed to use their product and asked about the health warnings on their container. Their response was to ask that we find an alternative coating or if we did use boiled linseed oil that we not use their brand due to the liability issue.

What we all need to understand is that the linseed oil, even after it is dry to the touch continues to be a problem. The toxins, carcinogens and teratogens it contain are still transmissible by both dermal exposure and by inhalation. They will also migrate to food items and clothing carried in your knapsacks and haversacks. Further more this is a much heavier exposure then the manufacturers ever expected, since this is an atypical use of the product. The product was simply not intended for these kinds of uses.

OK, so if that alone doesn't scare you.

What about spontaneous combustion?

When linseed oil dries, it releases heat. The more linseed oil, the greater the heat. Cloth soaked with linseed oil can actually start burning without warning, leading to the manufacturer's warning that all oil-soaked rags should be stored under water in a covered, metal container. There are historic accounts of bails of knapsacks spontaneously combusting while stored in government warehouses during the war. Keep in mind these were dried knapsacks ready for issue! Do you really want one of these in the trunk of your new car?

As a manufacturer we have certain responsibilities. We have a responsibility to produce as authentic a product as we can but we also have a greater responsibility not to harm consumers. After experimenting with over a dozen period paint recipes we opted not to use any of them due to health and safety issues. We value your safety over a cheap gimmick to sell knapsacks and haversacks.

This was taken from the missouris boot and shoe page. I thought it was quite informative and hysterical!

So guys out there making your stuff and using linseed oil. I suggest we find another product.
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: Linseed Oil.......Hazardous!

Linseed oil is extremely flammable. I've worked in insurance claims for more years than I'd like to admit and it has caused more fires than I'd like to count from spontaneous combustion. But it does have its uses...

Vivian Harrington
    Vivian Harrington

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    --Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
    A happy life consists in tranquility of mind.
    --Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

Seriously, don't go near this stuff! I learned the hard way refinishing my enfield...Search for Allstate v. Fritz, Neslon & Pendleton in google if you need further discouragement. Spent nearly 6 years battling in and out of the courts over linseed oil. I would never want to see any of my pards go through the hell I went through.

-Clay
      Clay N. Pendleton
      Muncie, Ind.
      Memberships:
      CWPT, NTHP, AASLH, AAM, Phi Alpha Theta, NAWCC

Comment

Hi,

This is my opinion on the subject. While I generally stay away from the stuff, I do own 1 or maybe 2 items made with linseed oil (ground cloth and maybe my knapsack). I have stayed away from haversacks painted with it, and my parents made me sell my painted cloth Columbus Depot cap box, bayonet sheath, and cartridge box belt, because of the warnings. When ever I can find away not to use a painted cloth item, I do. In this way, I avoid being less "authentic" by using the modern paint. However, when I do need items, that need to be painted, I generally get them from Missouri Boot and Shoe. This company has a paint that is extremely similar to the linseed oil paint. With all of this being said, I understand why people use the linseed oil. If you truely want to be complete "authentic", you will need to use the linseed oil. For my part, I really hate to use the mordern paint, but I am too worried about the health hazards to use much, if any, of this stuff.

Andrew
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

It's all about safety folks. Follow directions and use common sense. Dispose of your waste properly.
          Derek Carpenter
          Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Hi
            For the fire danger, you 've the sames problems with glycero paint and white spirit.

For lead, arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel, the utility is to make siccative, they 're added to the boiled linnen seed oil to have a more quick dried stuff , thats all.
            If you use a home made boiled oil, you don't put dangerous siccative but the smell of boiling oil ( rotten fich) is spécial,
            If you made a civilian bread bag with that oil , it stay sticky for a long time ( more than 20 years for the mine) because I' ve never put the final coat of natural varnish like on the féderals issue .
            So it's possible to have authenticity and no toxic.

Just for fun , look what kind of health problems you can have by using modern paint in yours houses, it's really funny

Bizzs
            Luc Geraudie

Comment

[Yawn!]

Man this discussion gets old. Seems to crop up again every couple of years when someone reads the MO B&S website's justification for substituting easier to use and less expensive modern latex paint on their products.

Several people chime in with "me too" or "not me" while sides are taken up. This is followed by a brief discussion on historic Boiled linseed oil formulas and paints vs. substitutes that be not far from authentic in looks, only in fact. Eventually , a few fellows come out of the woodwork and tell us how carrying food in Rubbermaid containers packed in ice in their tent is far safer than what soldiers in the Civil War did and feel smug and justified in their choice of "reenacting" modalities. Someone warns everybody how plastic containers are safe at events as long as you don't microwave them. Then a mean old hardcore outright calls them all the F-word, feelings get hurt, a few newbies consider switching camps then just end up doing whatever their local pards suggest and everyone stays in their lane thinking that anyone who disagrees is ignorant, and the world spins on.

Personally, I prefer 100% original recipe paint vs. an 85/15% polyester blend paint, but then I live in a part of the country where such paints are easy to work with and dry thoroughly very quickly. Besides, out here in the desert we are more worried about the toxic hazards of sand.
              Last edited by AZReenactor; 11-09-2008, 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo
              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by PvtHull48thovi View Post
                There are historic accounts of bails of knapsacks spontaneously combusting while stored in government warehouses during the war. Keep in mind these were dried knapsacks ready for issue!
                I would argue that, by definition, the knapsacks weren't dried. That's the key point--they bailed them before they were thoroughly dry, and the release of heat from drying, and the combination of compression which trapped the heat, caused the fire. Linseed oil which has dried won't combust without an outside ignition source, since it no longer produces its own heat.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

I followed the recommendation of the MB&S website...."Read it for yourself"....last night I went down and read the warning label on my container of boiled linseed oil.....it says nothing about cancer. It did warn against eating or swollowing it....it did say that it could stain your skin...and it said to use with proper ventilation. Then it had a caution about spontaneous combustion. Nothing about cancer, nothing about lead, nothing about prolonged exposure (even after drying). Is the warning from MB&S bush? Could someone with a background in chemistry chime in here?
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

In efforts at full disclosure. Here is a MSDS for a modern boiled linseed oil.

You can see why we are more worried about sand since it actually says it causes cancer in California...
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Or you can just use real linseed oil and not the Home Depot filled-with-chemical-driers stuff. Heck, this stuff even claims to be food-grade (and just so happens to make good oilcloth, in my opinion), so as long as you don't plan on putting the still-wet oilcloth next to a flame, what's the problem?

Tried & true wood finish is 100% solvent free, contains zero VOC's or heavy metal driers. 100% safe for food contact. All natural ingredients.

-Craig Schneider
                      Craig Schneider

Comment

Thanks for your link CScheinder
                        It's look like the XIX century linnenseed oil, without hazardous chimicals.
                        The boilling of the oil is just to make siccative by a faster oxydation and you don't need metals inside .
                        In old paint recipe, painters use boiled oil to have a siccative action and a normal leenseed oil ( and turpentine and a lot of stuffs...) but metalic salts come to fastered the drying

Sorry for my poor english
                        Luc Geraudie

Comment

Hi,

Luke, that is very interesting. I will have to go to Home Depot and see what the cans say. If this is the case I may be able to change my parents minds on the subject. To change a little of what I originally posted, it is more that my parents are to worried about me using it, than me worrying about using it. Also, I have only read what MB&S said, so alot of my opinion was based off of that. Thanks

Andrew
                          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Anything can cause a flame or explosion if it is not handled or disposed of according to the MSDS or label provided by the manufacturer. Animal droppings, pesticides etc are all included in this statement. This is why in most Shop Classrooms all stains and oils are stored in a fire safe metal box, and you are taught on day one to properly dispose of ANY oil covered rag.
                            Patrick Landrum
                            Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by claynpendleton View Post
                              Seriously, don't go near this stuff! I learned the hard way refinishing my enfield...Search for Allstate v. Fritz, Neslon & Pendleton in google if you need further discouragement. Spent nearly 6 years battling in and out of the courts over linseed oil. I would never want to see any of my pards go through the hell I went through.

-Clay

I remember hearing about that fire. Properly handled, linseed oil is perfectly safe. I have built almost 20 guns over the years, almost all military muskets and have refinished a number of others. All but one had linseed oil finishes and none of those have spontaneously combusted. However, leaving linseed oil soaked rags lying about will cause a fire in short order. Clay, it seems that you broke the cardinal rule of handling linseed oil and I am sorry that you had to learn that lesson the hard way, but your example should be a good warning to everyone: use linseed oil properly and carefully and be especially careful to properly store any rags used in the process until they can be disposed of safely.
                              Thomas Pare Hern
                              Co. A, 4th Virginia
                              Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
                              X