This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918 combat recording

No, this isn't "Civil War," but it may be the first known "combat recording":

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: 1918 combat recording

Now thats almost spooky... brings back memories of my days in a Firing Battery's FDC though.. amazing how little things change in the long run.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

"His purpose in doing so was to preserve the sounds of war before the coming armistice caused them to vanish forever from the face of the earth."

Would that this would have been so.

I managed to find a Buddy Poppy today--not in what once was the usual way, for that avenue seems to be no more, but by digging in my own attic. This time, I will not put it away.

Others have never put that Great War away. In my Mother-in-Law's dainty little foyer, with its marble floor, graceful mahogony table, and delicate little crystal figurines, leading into a formal living room that is all polished wood, heavy brocade, and good silver, sits one lone piece that does not match all the others.

On that polished table is a dented and pitted helmet, in the style that we know simply as "Doughboy"--the style worn in the Great War. Like the man who made the recording above, the owner of that helmet also took in a lungfull of mustard gas, and died of its effects some good while later.

Under that helmet is a bundle of letters. We cannot read them now. Not yet. They are still too fresh to her.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Fantastic -- and I mean fantastic in the sense of fantasy, an experience wholly outside of my reality -- to think that those odd little arching whines are gas shells being hurled towards fellow human beings. Such an odd sound for death.
        [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
        [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
        [/FONT]

Comment

Wilfred Owen
          Dulce Et Decorum Est

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
          Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
          Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
          And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
          Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
          But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
          Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
          Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!-- An ecstasy of fumbling,
          Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
          But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
          And floundering like a man in fire or lime.--
          Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light
          As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
          He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
          Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
          And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
          His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
          If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
          Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
          Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
          Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
          My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
          To children ardent for some desperate glory,
          The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
          Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen (1893-1918)
          Wilfred Edward Salter Owen was born on March 18, 1893. He was on the Continent teaching until he visited a hospital for the wounded and then decided, in September, 1915, to return to England and enlist. "I came out in order to help these boys-- directly by leading them as well as an officer can; indirectly, by watching their sufferings that I may speak of them as well as a pleader can. I have done the first" (October, 1918).

Owen was injured in March 1917 and sent home; he was fit for duty in August, 1918, and returned to the front. November 4, just seven days before the Armistice, he was caught in a German machine gun attack and killed. He was twenty-five when he died.

The bells were ringing on November 11, 1918, in Shrewsbury to celebrate the Armistice when the doorbell rang at his parent's home, bringing them the telegram telling them their son was dead.

Every Veteran's Day (orig. Armistice Day) I make it a point to remember my maternal grandfather who came to America as an immigrant and returned to Europe (specifically France) with the AEF. I also make a point of specifiaclly remembering the Mr. Owen who spoke so strongly for the soldiers of his war, and by extension, all wars.
          Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Mark,
            Thanks for posting that. I am also a WW1 Reenactor and have read many accounts of the gas bombardments but could never imagine the sounds of the shells sounding like that.
            My Great Granduncle served in the artillery with the 32nd Inf Division in France, I guess now I have a better understanding of some of the experiances he tried to discribe to the family.
            During my time in the navy I heard the ships 5inch guns fire a variety of shells and none of them even sounded remotely like these. What an eye opener.

William L. Maddox

Comment

I purchased this on iTunes and played it for my students this semester. It's on the album "Oh! It's a Lovely War (Volume 1)". Nice little advertisement for war bonds at the end of it.
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on..

Historically intresting and fascinating, but, alas, outside of AC Forum rules on post 1865 topics...

Curt
                1914-1918 Himself
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                X