This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapsacks...

Im considering purchasing a new knapsack and wondering if anyone has ordered from http://acwknapsacks.com/,or can speak of their work....Thanks in advance...
    Jesse Parsons
    -37th Virginia Infantry-
    -Wampus Cats Mess-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Knapsacks...

Hi,

Do you have another link to the site? I was unable to us the one posted. Thanks

Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

go here: www.acwknapsacks.com
      William Lee Vanderburg
      26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
      Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

Via a google search for "acw knapsacks" as his stated.

Just throwing out the link, I've never seen one of these so I have no idea what they sell.
        [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Georgia]Very Respectfully,
        Charlie Gerkin
        Rah Virginia Mil '11
        Tar Water Mess-GHTI
        VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Hi,

These are my thoughts on the knapsacks:

The West Militia Knapsack that they offer does not seem to follow in sewing and material of the original. Their pack is also missing several pieces of the lining that you can see in EOG.

The Pace Knapsack that they list I cannot say much about, mainly because I only have one picture (of the original pack).

Kibbler Knapsack that they list has several things that are incorrect. The first thing I noticed, is that the bag had painted inner flaps (if you do not understand what I mean, compare the photo of the reproduction to the one in EOG). The other thing that I saw was that the sewing of the straps did not seem to follow what the original Kibbler pack has. Finally, the buttons seemed to be wood, and not bone!!!!!!!!!!(As per the original)

Isaac and Campbell knapsack that they have for sale, again has several problems. The stamp, from my research, should be on the flap, and not the body of the knapsack. The inner straps should be black leather (I have seen other reproductions with buff leather, but have been unable to confirm this). It comes with a chest strap? I have never seen any Isaac and Campbell knapsacks with this. I am not saying that they didn't, I have never seen one.

The other knapsacks listed, I have no originals to base off of. Because of this, I will let someone with more information post on them.

I am in no way an expert, on knapsacks, but from what I have seen none of them follow the originals very well. These are just observations, and because I have never seen one of these reproductions in person, I cannot give complete information on the packs. You would be better off buying one from Trans-Mississippi, EJ Thomas, Missouri Boot and Shoe, LD Haning , or NJ****************, who have great reproductions of the packs that this company offers. Just my 2 cents.

All the best

Andrew
          Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 11-17-2008, 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Thanks Andrew,i also noticed some of what you pointed out after i posted(as i am not an expert on knapsacks either)but i think im gonna go with jarnigan where i purchased my last knapsack so i know what im getting...thanks for you help!!:D
            Jesse Parsons
            -37th Virginia Infantry-
            -Wampus Cats Mess-
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Jarnagin knapsacks are a whole different story. A lot of problems with those bags.
              Last edited by coastaltrash; 11-17-2008, 10:46 PM.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

yeah ive had my jarnigan for 4 years know and still like the day i got it...
                Jesse Parsons
                -37th Virginia Infantry-
                -Wampus Cats Mess-
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hey Jesse, from what i have seen acw knapsacks seem to be geared towards creating a knapsack for a militia impression. I guess it depends on what type of impression you want to portray. Check with Missiouri Boot and Shoe for a Knapsack, or with L.D . Hanning, he makes some pretty good stuff too.

Hope this helps.
                  F & AM Chandlersville #858, Kentucky

"SLAVE STATES, once more let me repeat, that the only way of preserving our slave property, or what we prize more than life, our LIBERTY, is by a UNION WITH EACH OTHER!" ---Jefferson Davis

Comment

Jesse,
                    what is your main impression?
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Good grief, what is going on here? We have a perfectly good list of some outstanding vendors yet we are still debating those of second rate quality and settling for it. See the other active threads on groundcloths, etc.

With Duval, LD Haning, ************, Serio, Don Smith (TMD CO), EJ Thomas, etc, why in God's name are we still trying to find the hidden gem of low priced vendor where they simply do not exist?

Gang, 25 years of experience has taught us that correct materials, correct construction and correct patterns cannot be priced cheaply, without compromise to historical integrity, which after all I think is the point...or the vendor quickly going out of business.

So instead of asking about the authenticity of this and that vendor who is making something cheaply and who never shows up on an authentic vendor list, be honest and admit its about one thing - price. Its OK...but lets call it what it is.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

whats wrong with Jarnagin knapsacks?

donald holm

Comment

Originally posted by hollowleg View Post
                          whats wrong with Jarnagin knapsacks?

donald holm
                          Jarnagin products are OK, but there are often compromises made for price and production concerns in areas such as the quality of leather, stitching, dimensions and finish, etc that the high quality vendors do not make. That compromise is reflected in the price, as it should be. The list of quality vendors on this website includes those who do not compromise, and that is where I start looking. This forum is all about authenticity and the pursuit thereof - that is why Jarnagin, though a venerable firm that has consistently delivered reliable products, does not appear on the authentic vendor list.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug: I understand you completly,i fully support all of the vendors on this forum(i have products from many of them)...was only trying to see if anyone has had any suggestions about this company...thought that was the point of this forum to begin with(to dicuss authenticity with people who have the same interest"obsession" with history as you).
                            Jesse Parsons
                            -37th Virginia Infantry-
                            -Wampus Cats Mess-
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

The "standard" that the AC Forum strives for is sometimes called the "Gold Standard" which is weighed by how close to original items a reproduction comes to the original's:

1. Period raw materials
                              2. Period pattern/form/model
                              3. Period methods of construction or manufacture

As a result, we should be ONLY comparing and contrasting reproductions against the original items, not reproductions against reproductions.

While there are vendors and makers who make high quality items in terms of the "Gold Standard" that chose to not participate on the AC Forum's "Approved Vendor List, the is a REASON why some vendors/makers appear on the list (or do not appear on the list).

In brief and to over-generalize, many vendors and makers do not appear on the Approved Vendor List because they serve a different "market" than the "Authentic Campaigner" and the "Authentic Civil War Living Historian."

Curt
                              Curt Schmidt
                              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                              -Vastly Ignorant
                              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                              X