Carthage, North Carolina Monument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carthage, North Carolina Monument

Ask 50 people in town and you’ll get 50 different answers so here we are; does anyone know the provenance of the two 1862 dated Leeds of New Orleans bronze tubes flanking the Carthage NC Obelisque? I’m especially interested in the tube with the damaged muzzle.
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 11-23-2008, 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Re: Carthage, North Carolina Monument

A cursory search only caused frustration. Nothing in the Moore Co. stuff (not even a picture) and a search of Leeds brought forth a page that was 99% advertisement and 1% Leeds Iron Foundry Historic Site.
    I know a fellow who is specifically into this stuff and will email him and see what he knows.
    I get down to Southern Pines for a meeting every quarter and you've peaked my interest. Need to make a small side trip and see it
    Try the Register of Deeds. While not knowing themselves they usually have an insight on who in the area has such information. Then you'll have 51 sources!

Regards,
    J.W. Baugh

Comment

Thank you for your feedback.

I spent the day in Carthage asking everyone I could think to ask from pedestrians to the Court House to the Moore Co Historical Association folks. Everybody I asked had all the information I needed except for the history of the tubes.

I don't mean to be augmentative or ungrateful for the help, because I do appreciate the response, but I asked if any of our members knew of anything. Its my job to dig things up so to speak and I'm reasonably industrious in doing so. It even crossed my mind to check the internet. DocSouth has nothing and the NCMoH has a single post card listed. See attachment.

Please check the tubes out the next time you go through there. They are very impressive.

By the way, I love the Blounts Creek area.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM. Reason: btw
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Garrison,

Thanks for the photo! My GGG Grandfather, William H. H. McDonald, was a member of the "Moore Independents" which became Co. H 26th NC.

Will MacDonald

Comment

"MacDonald" is a dead give away to your ties to the area. Cousin Garrison and I have "McArthur" in our extended family.
          Last edited by John-Owen Kline; 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM.
          John-Owen Kline

Comment

It used to be spelled "McDonald" in the Census records, then Great-Grandmother Rosemond (the daughter of a couple of "respectable" Wake Co. families) made Great-Grandfather McDonald add the extra "a" to it about 1930. Always looking for more info about Moore county though......

Will MacDonald

Comment

C'mon down Garrison. I'll show you where the "Battle of Blounts Creek" was fought, Fort Hill, and the grave of Joseph Breedlove, only Confederate death in the battle. Of course you have to actually walk 30' off the highway to see it.
              The locals thought his name was Greetlove but a cursory exam revealed his real identity. I'm still on the "Feces Roster" around here! If you ever want to feel somber stand at his grave and imagine fighting for your country and ending up here.
              Invitation is open to all. We can walk it from the house if your frisky. Ft. Hill I have to make arangements with the owners as it's private. The South side of the Pamlico River is eating it away but there's still alot to see. Wintertime is best.

Regards,
              Jim Baugh

Comment

Jim,

One of the founders of nearby Sandhills Community College in Aberdeen was an avid WBTS collector and historian. The library there has an an impressive Civil War book and magazine collection. I think they also have the complete set of the Confederate Veteran. You might find something there or in the library archives.

Regards,

Bruce Blackmon

Comment

Working...
                X