This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Watchdog

Not trying to start a flame war here, but I have a serious question/concern. If the WatchDog magazine claims to represent authenticity, then why do they attend and cover mainstream only venues? I can see trying to get your publication to all areas of reenacting, but it is my imagination or do they seem to have completely abandon the c/p/h end of the hobby? And if they have, why should I respect this publication?

Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Re: The Watchdog

Jim:

A good question deserving an answer.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

I was unaware that "The Watchdog" covered events. I thought they only did research articles. As for attending only "Mainstream" events, I feel that they market where the $$$ is. All of this has been debated before on other post on this forum. And to be honest, what purpose would be served if the CCG attended a c/p/h event?

Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion
      Member of the A.O.T.
      Last edited by Clsinclair; 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM.
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

To further clarify my point. The new editor of the Watchdog is very vocal about his participation at mainstream events and even write accolades about such events. Now, if he was solely focused on writing articles in regard to man, equipment, culture and trying to purvey these articles where the dollars are I can completely understand that. But, it seems clear that they have no involvement any lonegr in the c/p/h end of the hobby, which would be fine if they were not promoting less-than-authentic events.

Jim Butler
        Jim Butler

Comment

Query: any reason folks from this forum can't write for the "Watchdog"? I'm perpetually amazed at the depth of knowledge and writing skills here. Why should "Watchdog" be even vaguely addressed as an alien entity? Just wondering....
          David Fox

Comment

I also, understand that the Dog has gone it seperate ways with Camp Chase and will be published as part of the Civil War News or some other publication.
            Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
            Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
            5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

What should it matter where they hang out if their work is on the mark? That's all any publication should be judged on in my opinion.

I'm not trying to offend anybody but even cph events aren't as authentic as we'd like to imagine they are. I suppose the truth of it is it's about how bad we are, actually, instead of how good we are or think we are. I'm the kind of person who is too critical on things. I've learned that it ruins my experience and I just have to let up a little and find authenticity where I find it. To question the Watchdog about mainstream events seems like cph living up to it's bad reputation.
              [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Good gravy! I'm not here to defend the WD but... Who really cares!

The lastest issue of CWH has a full page add from a sutler who isn't listed as an approved vendor here on the A/C and has also listed events that are not EBUFU! I've also been told that the owners of the CWH went to the annual Gettysburg reenactment earlier this year! We'd better start asking Justin and Jason why they would allow this to happen!

Jim, you have no need to call Dr. Phil. I'm a simple man and would do one of four things if this really keeps you up at night:
                1. don't bother reading it
                2. don't start a subscription
                3. cancel your current subscription
                4. start up a new publication that will suit your needs

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR View Post
                Not trying to start a flame war here, but I have a serious question/concern. If the WatchDog magazine claims to represent authenticity, then why do they attend and cover mainstream only venues? I can see trying to get your publication to all areas of reenacting, but it is my imagination or do they seem to have completely abandon the c/p/h end of the hobby? And if they have, why should I respect this publication?

Jim Butler
                Bill Young
                WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
                Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

I think the point Jim was trying to arrive at is that The Watchdog started out as a source for information in the pro-authenticity, history-minded end of the hobby and it now seems to be faltering. His point is valid and real.

Responses to his post that act as if he is being an elitist are off the mark. We, the pro-authenticity, history-minded end of the hobby, should hold The Watchdog to a standard and if that standard is not met, have the right and courage to point out the failings of the publication.

Accusing Jim of being childish or immature or elitist is just making a personal attack on him for an observation that others agree with, as I have heard similar comments at events and in other venues. Don't make the mistake of thinking Jim's comments represent only him. I, too, am disappointed that The Watchdog has begun to spiral towards mainstream and compromise.

And saying "Don't subscribe" or "don't read" are not offering a solution, but simply ignoring a problem. Ignored problems don't go away, they just get worse. Why should the group this publication was once aimed at ignore this decline? They shouldn't!! If you are thinking that a reduction in subscriptions will bring the publishers back to reality, think again! They are replacing those subscriptions with new ones found at the mainstream level and how long will it be before they are publishing articles that represent that part of the hobby instead of the more progressive part?

The Watchdog is obviously marketing to a broader group to widen its subscription base. In doing so, I believe they will compromise their standards and fail to meet our's. They need to decide what they are and who they are.
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

Looks like the annual winter doldrums have started early on the AC forums this year...

Chris Daley
                    Can't Wait for Spring Mess
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Folks,

This is really a dead issue, the purpose of the current WD has little if anything in common with the original publication. Please do not confuse the two.

Just let it go, this is not worth arguing about.
                      Jim Kindred

Comment

The topic is the Watchdog. If you want a thread to discuss the finer points of C/P/H vs mainstream, please do not do it here.
                        Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by JimKindred View Post
                          Folks,

This is really a dead issue, the purpose of the current WD has little if anything in common with the original publication. Please do not confuse the two.

Just let it go, this is not worth arguing about.
                          We all need to grow up and quit complaining. This IS NOT a communist state. Everybody isn't going to do things your way. If you don't like a publication, don't buy it. If you don't like an event don't go to it. Not everyone is going to meet your expectations, and a lot don't care what your expectations are.

As Jim Kindred said, just let it go.
                          Fritz Jacobs
                          CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
                          [email]CPTFritz@aol.com[/email]

Comment

Fritz,

Just curious, do you have a connection to The Watchdog? Your posts seem to have an angry tone and I'm wondering why. With only 33 posts in over 4 years, there must be something about this thread that gets your goat.
                            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Seeing that this thread is really goign no where fast and is causing more problems than it is worth for our mod team, I am closing this thread.
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                              [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                              [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X